Mondeo won't start if parked on gradient - sisue
Mondeo 1.8TD 1995 N-reg. If I park it on even a slight gradient it won't start... has anyone any ideas? Everywhere I've phoned has said it might be the non-return valve (not mentioned in Haynes anywhere!). It's also been a right wotsit to start anyway but, having read an old thread on here, I think it might confirm my thought that it could be the glow plugs??

I had intended to change them anyway.. but does anyone have any technical advice on the easiest way to perform this task.. I'm not particularly mechanically minded!!

Thanks in anticipation of some great advice. Simon
Mondeo won't start if parked on gradient - Peter D
Nose up I assume. Air leak into fuel line or non return valve. Regards Peter
Mondeo won't start if parked on gradient - Screwloose
Simon

The TD's speciality is an air-leak through the priming button's diaphragm on the fuel-filter head. Tape a plastic bag or rubber glove absolutely airtight over that round gold-coloured housing and see if that helps. If it does; get a new filter head - they're everywhere.

There is another diaphragm that can split and cause this in the boost-control capsule on the side of the pump. That's not so easy [or cheap] to fix.
Mondeo won't start if parked on gradient - sisue
Well Thanks for your help the rac man put a rubber glove over the filter and it worked , that was untill i went out the next morning so i went to fords and as suggested by the replies i bought a new filter assembly. £64 got it home fitted it in 5 minutes and the transformation is amazing not just when starting on a slope nose up but through the whole rev range we just didnt realise how bad it had become over the last 3 years it now pulls through the entire rev range in all first 4 gears havent tried the 5th yet,its like driving a new car , the next job is to have a go at fitting new glow plugs as its still difficult to start in the cold mornings but is ok when its warmed up . Q do i have to remove anything out the way of the glow plugs , as two out of the four look like they will come out easy but the other two look to be behind the diesl pipes , Do they all come out ok? your help would be gratfully recived,
and thanks for the help with the air leak :O)