DIY Wheel Alignment - pullgees
Getting tracking done in a tyre fitting place is robbery for the time it takes them. Is their any way to do this yourself without all the fancy equipment? I once did it myself but can't remember. If anyone can refer me to a link on the subject that would be a start.
DIY Wheel Alignment - bell boy

measure the distance at the front insides of the rims then measure the distance at the back of the rims and once these gaps are the same then your wheels are parallel
Don?t forget to keep both track rod ends showing same amount of thread at both sides as you do this and then you will have equal turning circles both ways and the car will self centre when going in straight ahead position
You can buy from ?wilkinsons? an adjustable clothes prop which is ideal for this job for £2.99 and when you have set your car up to slightly toe out 1/2 mm mark your new machine with a hacksaw blade and then next time you check your tracking your previous setting is already engineered in :)

does that make sense?

tyre fitting places earn their money by the way in my opinion as they have to warrent that your expensive tyres dont scrub after the job is done.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
DIY Wheel Alignment - Aprilia
tyre fitting places earn their money by the way in my
opinion as they have to warrent that your expensive tyres dont
scrub after the job is done.

I like to see a successful claim on that basis. They'd just say that you must have knocked a kerb or hit a big pothole and it had put the alignment out again...
DIY Wheel Alignment - rip
Are tyre places that expensive? Near me a good place does a 4-wheel alignment for £12ish for my xantia, you get a full pre and post print out. The opportunity cost of money saved on changing tyres due to poor wheel alignment is obvious.

£12 is certainly cheaper than £150 for an oil and filter service at main dealer which takes the same time, plus you have the evidence on a piece of paper they have done the work, not so for a oil and filter service.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Stuartli
>>not so for a oil and filter service.>>

Why not?

And if not, why not?

My service book is always stamped by National if I have the appropriate oil and filter change.

As for DIY wheel alignment.......:-))))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
DIY Wheel Alignment - cheddar
I have only paid for an alignment check a couple of times in the last 15 years or so (most recently a 4 wheel one), I usually do it myself based on how the car drives, which way the steering pulls, how the tyre wear is looking, I get good mileage out of tyres doing this and always have a centered steering wheel, something tyre centres do not always achieve.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Malcolm_L
My service book is always stamped by National if I have the appropriate oil and filter change.

But do you see the old filter and oil, a stamp takes 5 seconds, changing the oil and filter somewhat longer.

I've only known this happen once personally, when a dealer 'forgot' to change the oil filter and oil, although they remembered to wipe the oil filter!
Suffice to say I voted with my feet.
>>But do you see the old filter and oil, a stamp takes 5 seconds, changing the oil and filter somewhat longer.>>

Apart from being an unsubstantiated statement regarding the work done on my car, your comment could also be considered libellous.

Yes, I do see the old filter and oil. In fact I watch the oil and filter change from start to finish.

It takes about half-a-hour at the Ormskirk National outlet and is done in an efficient and professional manner, including ensuring that the engine is not overfilled and being given the balance of the five litres maximum oil allowed for the work in the £15 price.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Malcolm_L
Stuartli,

I don't have the time or the inclination to watch my car being serviced and I doubt I'm in the minority on this either.
I've had first hand experience of getting carp service from garages however and whenever possible make sure it doesn't happen again.

If you believe that garages never charge for work that isn't done and always do the job properly, then I apologise for any offence that may have been inferred with my previous remark.

>If you believe that garages never charge for work that isn't done and always do the job properly,>>

I've never said that - you have yet again assumed something to be fact without any evidence.

I merely pointed out earlier that your comment with regard to National's oil and filter changes in the case of my vehicle was out of order, unsubstantiated and unwarranted.

The fact that you don't have "the time or the inclination to watch your car being serviced" is entirely your own concern.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Dynamic Dave
Oi you two.

Put the teddy bears to bed please.

DD.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Roly93
>>But do you see the old filter and oil, a stamp
takes 5 seconds, changing the oil and filter somewhat longer.>>

I always put a dab of paint on my fuel and oil filters just to be sure they have changed them.

Are tyre places that expensive? Near me a good place does a 4-wheel alignment for £12ish for my xantia, you get a full pre and post print out. The opportunity cost of money saved on changing tyres due to poor wheel alignment is obvious. £12 is certainly cheaper than £150 for an oil and filter service at main dealer which takes the same time, plus you have the evidence on a piece of paper they have done the work, not so for a oil and filter service.

You obviously dont live in the South East then ?

DIY Wheel Alignment - pullgees
Thank you, I'll do that check.

Wheel alignment gets knocked out only too easily and I certainly cannot afford to go and have my wheel alignment adjusted every time I hit a pot hole or accidently bump the kerb. If the tyre fitting companies charged a lot less I would have them do it, but charging less would mean tyres would last much longer resulting in less trade for them.
Tracking is a money spinner and if you drive to another place immediatly after having the job done, (as I have done), and have your tracking checked the odds are they will tell you your tracking is out. Similar thing with MOTs.
DIY Wheel Alignment - DrS
Agree about that! They always tell you that your tracking is out.
Once had the tracking done, and the guy told me I should go back after a couple of weeks, and he would re check it for free.
Took the car back, omitted to tell him it was for a re check, he "adjusted it", and asked for another 15 sovs.
I told him that this should have been just a free recheck, he got well angry, and told me that he wouldn't have adjusted it if he had known!
QED!
DIY Wheel Alignment - nick
I use a Gunsons Trackrite on my older cars. It seems to work well but you need a smooth level surface to use it. My local small independant uses one too.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Dynamic Dave
Wheel alignment gets knocked out only too easily and I certainly
cannot afford to go and have my wheel alignment adjusted every
time I hit a pot hole or accidently bump the kerb.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had to have the tracking checked on any of my past or present cars I've owned. My tyres are wearing evenly, and I occasionally bump up kerbs when parking, and my car is subjected to frequent pot holes living out in the sticks.

Some cars must be more fragile than others, that's all I can say.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Cliff Pope
They would have you believe it is a great art, a process requiring the use of precision optical equipment, laser setting, etc. However, if you read the specified figure in the manual the tolerance is amazingly wide, and is easily attainable with some bits of wood, a clothes prop, or a piece of string.

Achievement of the correct toe-in or out must be one of the few areas of motoring that has remained as primitive as it was a hundred years ago.
DIY Wheel Alignment - nickKK
I asked for mine to be done after Two tyres were changed, The car was moved to the alignment bay, within minutes I was told " It don't need it mate". Trouble is one can draw two conclusions the first is it genuinely doesn't need realignment so I am being saved money or that it does need it and they want to change the tyres again and hope I forgot that they said "it don't need it mate".

DIY Wheel Alignment - L'escargot
I honestly cannot remember the last time I had to have
the tracking checked on any of my past or present cars
I've owned.

Nor me.
--
L\'escargot.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Big Bad Dave
"Wheel alignment gets knocked out only too easily and I certainly cannot afford to go and have my wheel alignment adjusted every time I hit a pot hole or accidently bump the kerb."

Absolutely don?t buy this for one second, if this were true my car would be handling like a shopping trolley by now. Unless you experienced them you wouldn?t believe how dreadful some of the roads are in Poland, I?ve said it many times, yet when I had mine laser-tested at a Polish MOT station they were spot on.
DIY Wheel Alignment - sierraman
More or less what I was going to say,unless the hit is so hard it bends a track rod how can it get knocked out of alignment?Complete BS.I had mine checked at MOT time,guy said'it's spot on'.As I used to work with him years ago I believe him.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Galaxy
I have always believed the main reason for tracking going out is due to wear and deterioration in the rubber bushes on the suspension. Surely, if the rubber bushes on components like track control arms wear, this must have an impact on the tracking setting?

I wonder whether I am correct?
DIY Wheel Alignment - Vin {P}
" Getting tracking done in a tyre fitting place is robbery for the time it takes them. Is their any way to do this yourself without all the fancy equipment?"

Then perhaps part of the cost is the fact that they do have to pay for the "fancy equipment" to do the job accurately.

V
DIY Wheel Alignment - Clanger
No link to help you but a Bradford garage I used to know set the tracking on Citroens by driving one front wheel gently over a plastic pad on small rollers where the sideways force on the pad would move a pointer. The tracking was adjusted until there was no sideways force registered on the pointer. Knowing the relationship between the movement of the pointer and the number of turns of the track rod adjusting nut was a black art.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
DIY Wheel Alignment - oldgit
was a black art.
Hawkeye

Surely you mean "Rainbow art?"

To be politically correct!!

DIY Wheel Alignment - nick
No link to help you but a Bradford garage I used
to know set the tracking on Citroens by driving one front
wheel gently over a plastic pad on small rollers where the
sideways force on the pad would move a pointer. The tracking
was adjusted until there was no sideways force registered on the
pointer. Knowing the relationship between the movement of the pointer and
the number of turns of the track rod adjusting nut was
a black art.
Hawkeye

Sounds like a Gunson Trackrite as mentioned above.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Chris S
RE:
measure the distance at the front insides of the rims
then measure the distance at the back of the rims and
once these gaps are the same then your wheels are parallel

Can you adjust the front-wheels with them on the ground?

Putting the front of the car on axel stands will cause the front wheels to dangle and change the distance between them. Is there any easy way to get around this?
They should ideally be on the ground, in the normal running mode, ie not ground to a stop with the brakes hard on. I suppose if you can put the stands under the ends of the wishbone, the weight of the car will still be on the springs so the wheels will be in their normal position.
Mine's got a good ground clearance so I have no difficulty getting underneath to turn the rods. It's worth getting them freed up with the nuts loosened first, then you can just reach under and turn the rod with a mole wrench. Watch that swinging the ball joint back into its normal position doesn't screw it back along the thread 1/4 turn.
I use a made-up jig that measures the distance of the outer rims. It's a wooden beam with stout uprights, with large nuts clamped at the upper ends. I then wind in a long large bolt (actually an adjuster with handle from an old fashioned bed frame) until it just touches the rim. I then unwind 20 turns, to aid clearance when extricating from under the car, and wind in 20 turns again when in position at the front. A recent improvement is to fit two collasible metal brackets from a folding kitchen table. These stabilise the assembly in the upright position, but collapse for removal and storage. There are wedges carved out of the beam for lodging between tyre and ground.
I've used it, with improvements, for all my cars over the last 40 years. It will adjust for different tracks, and also do rear wheels where these are adjustable.
Getting tracking done in a tyre fitting place is robbery for
the time it takes them. Is their any way to do
this yourself without all the fancy equipment? I once did
it myself but can't remember. If anyone can refer me
to a link on the subject that would be a start.

I used to have a crude Gunsons weel allignment kit which I threw away about a year ago. It was very fiddly but okay on very small cars with skinny tyres but I realy dont think it is very advisable to try and do this youself, given that much of the time the wheels are alligned with reference to the rear wheels, as well as the toe-in toe-out etc.
Okay it is a rip off but it is rare to need it unless you know you have hit a kerb etc.
DIY Wheel Alignment - SlidingPillar
I do both my Morgans myself. The 4/4 I can can now get within spec by eye, as oddly enough, the handling is better with the wheels fairly close to the maximum permitted toe in, and visually it's quite easy to see.

I made a crude gauge for the three wheeler, as correct alignment is quite difficult for various reasons. Not least the fact in order to make any adjustment, you have to take a steering joint apart!

Despite both steering systems being broadly similar to that used by a Land Rover, when I last used (years ago) a tyre place (a national) to check the tracking on the 4/4 they were thrown into such confusion that when I was prepared to get my hands dirty, they let me use their gauge and tools. Somehow I rather doubt it would happen nowadays!
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
The tyre supplier I use (Micheldever Tyres) charges £20 for a four wheel alignment and both times I've had tyres fitted recently, I've known the cars have needed it due to the wear patterns on the old ones.

In both cases I got a full printout of before and after settings (compared with the manufacturers spec) and both times I've seen them actually doing the work. Both cars felt much better afterwards, particularly the Mondeo which felt like 50,000 miles had been taken off the steering gear.

I wouldn't bother attempting it myself, personally.

Cheers
DP
DIY Wheel Alignment - 659FBE
I can endorse the good and accurate service provided by Micheldever Tyres. As long as you can time your visit to minimise the queue, the results are worth the wait.

DIY Wheel Alignment - adverse camber
After having a very poor 4 wheel alignment done on the quattro - they must have done the rear adjustment using standard kit but from the back of the car rather than the front with the result that the back had toe out rather than in - I chanced upon an advert in Morrisons for a set of lucas alignment kit, a bloke that used to run a garage had retired and was gradually selling his equipment (most for hgv/vans) so for the princely sum of £60 I bought the equipment.

Last time I had the alignment done on the laser 4wd thing at NE tyres in york it cost me £80.

On the thing about putting a car on axle stands, a common thing done by some race/rally teams is to set the alignment once normally with the car on the ground. Then put the car on axle stands so that the wheels are unsupported and then measure the distances wheel to wheel or make a guide as oldman suggests. Then in future they always align with the car on stands, knowing what the setting should be.
DIY Wheel Alignment - davidh
Just a quick question, how does tracking get knocked out? If you hit a kerb/large pot hole and the tracking was affected, would something have been bent in the steering/suspension system? I guess the steering rack might move slightly on its rubber clamping, but would the suspension arms just bounce back to a normal running position on the bushes. I understand the actual adjustment is done by a thread and a locknut so that wouldnt move so that what is it that gives?
Just a quick question, how does tracking get knocked out?

I guess in severe cases track rods may get slightly bent, but generally I would say that it is a combination of the steering rack moving slightly in its mountings plus flex in the overall bodyframe which some of the flimsy makes of cars may be more prone to.
DIY Wheel Alignment - none
I was taught many years ago that it's absolutely pointless tracking or retracking a vehicle unless a full check of all steering components is made. It made sense then and still does. What's the point in achieving micron accuracy if all that's being moved during adjustment is play in a worn bearing or ball joint ? As soon as the car is moved, the free play will alter the measurement. And free play or 'compliance' is built in to many modern suspension systems.
To be honest, in all of my 45yrs as a mechanic, I've never had to adjust tracking as a service item. If it suddenly needs attention - something else is wrong !

DIY Wheel Alignment - robcars
spot on !
DIY Wheel Alignment - Civic8
>>What's the point in achieving micron accuracy if all that's being moved during adjustment is play in a worn bearing or ball joint ? As soon as the car is moved, the free play will alter the measurement.

Rather tight measurement none,but you cannot get true accuracy whatever you use,certain amount of play exists in all joints, but as long as the tracking is done in a manner that makes both sides equal rather than one side only being partially adjusted and other side more so.(as often is the case with some places)
the more likely the tracking will be as accurate as you can be
--
Steve
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
The Fiesta seemed to track fine until I replaced the front lower arms due to seriously worn/cracked bushes. The new, firm bushes clearly held the arm in a completely different location to the perished, floppy old ones and after the job was done, the car pulled to the left.

I recall something similar after replacing the TCA bushes on my old Sierra.

I agree it is not a routine operation, and setting up tracking with worn components (as had clearly happened on this Fiesta) simply means it has to be done again when the fault is finally corrected.

Cheers
DP
DIY Wheel Alignment - Pete M
I recently changed two steering rack end ball joints and a suspension arm recently on my Mitsubishi Galant estate for an MOT (Warrant of Fitness here in NZ). Despite being careful to wind the ball joints onto the rack ends exactly the same number of turns as the old ones, my front wheel alignment was well out. The vehicle testing station had a machine at the end of the testing lane with a movable floor pad that showed the amount of slip in inches per mile. The tester nearly rejected the car again, but accepted my assurances that a wheel alignment would be carried out as soon as possible.
The tyre dealer that carried out the alignment had a machine that measured all of the alignment values, front and rear. After adjustment, they were checked again. A full-page printout of all the values of castor, camber, toe-in and some others was produced, showing the toe-in corrected from one degree of toe-out to zero degrees (specification). The cost for this was NZD 65.00, which is about UKP 15. I'm sure that a Wilko's clothes prop would work for some cars, but on mine, there is only clear access from one rim to the other for a distance of about six inches above the ground. Measuring the distance between the rear and the front of the rims is impossible. OK, a giant pair of outside calipers might do it. Also, with the clothes-prop method, apart from counting threads on the rack-rod ends, how do you know whether the adjustment is the same on each side? As mentioned above, I carefully matched the number of threads, and still ended up a degree out. After doing suspension work, I think it's probably worth having a proper alignment check done.
The track is the distance between the rims, and adjustment is the difference front to rear of the wheel. I don't see how there can be left and right tracking. What can and often does go wrong is that the two sides are adjusted unequally, so that although the tracking is now correct, the rack has been put off-centre so that the steering wheel is no longer in the right orientation.
The front wheels don't track independently - if you adjust one side, the wheels turn in a combined effect depending on where you steer.

Rear tracking is another matter, because the wheels don't steer once the angle of each has been set in relation to the bodywork.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Number_Cruncher
....in relation to the bodywork.

Really, the bodywork isn't relevant, and the alignment between the wheels themselves is what's important. Put another way, the centreline of the car defined by the line joining the centre of the front and rear tracks does not need to coincide with the centreline of the body - the body itself can be entirely non-symmetric if you wanted!

Number_Cruncher
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
Here's a question then.

The alignment reports for both Fiesta and Mondeo picked up a "wheelbase difference" of 2mm.

Any ideas?

Cheers
DP
Dont understand the question DP?
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
On the table of measurements and angles that you get on the alignment report, there's an item that says "wheelbase difference", presumably comparing left with right. Both cars apparently have a difference of 2mm.

Fairly sure neither car has been pranged significantly in their lives. I was just curious, as surely these should be identical.

Bush wear maybe?
do you mean the gap of axle to axle compared to o/s and n/s then

o<...................>o
[ o-<
o<....................>0

where o are the wheels? on each corner?
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
That's exactly what I took it to mean, yes.

My understanding of wheelbase is the measurement between axles along the side of the car. One side is apparently 2mm longer than the other.

Cheers
DP
Well as dox says then that is entirely satisfactory.
I am sure some alignement places would take great delight in frightening someone with those figures and bang a few bolts about on a ford and lose the gap,thankfully yourself is not so fooled DP
DIY Wheel Alignment - L'escargot
I was just curious, as surely these should be identical.

The dimensions of no two things are identical. There is (and has to be) a tolerance on every dimension. And there are a lot of dimensions (each with it's own tolerance) which contribute to the wheelbase.
--
L\'escargot.
DIY Wheel Alignment - George Porge
Distance between front and rear wheel? 2MM, dont think I'd lose too much sleep.

Wishbone bush / rear axle bush / production tollerence?

Some Renaults with rear torsion bars were built like this from the factory. R4, R5....25MM?
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
DIY Wheel Alignment - DP
Cheers guys!

DP
....in relation to the bodywork.
Really, the bodywork isn't relevant, and the alignment between the wheels
themselves is what's important. Put another way, the centreline of
the car defined by the line joining the centre of the
front and rear tracks does not need to coincide with the
centreline of the body - the body itself can be entirely
non-symmetric if you wanted!

Yes, I see what you mean. But supposing, to take an absurd case an an example, you pointed both rear wheels to the right by 45 degrees (but with the correct combined toe in or out), the steering would have to centre itself similarly. The car could only travel crab-wise. If you steered straight ahead, the back would swing out to the right and you would make an inadvertant left turn.
DIY Wheel Alignment - Number_Cruncher
Yes, if you put both rear wheels at 45 degrees you are doomed! - but that is true whatever datum you choose.

The essence of my point is that alignment is done with reference to datum points which aren't linked to the body of the car - until recently, the body of a car was an awful thing to use as a datum, the design, production, and assembly methods used could give you huge discrepancies in body dimensions. Now with more computer aided design, manufacture and assembly, I could imagine bodies being produced to reasonable tolerances such that you could probably get away with using the body as a reference.

Number_Cruncher

DIY Wheel Alignment - George Porge
Do I need to dispose of my hammer collection pronto then before they're worthless? I'll keep one to whack the computer with obviously ;-)
--
FAO Oldman, Come back to the darkside ;-)
DIY Wheel Alignment - vmturbo

I would advise obtaining lengths of rectangular hollow steel bars and making spacer pillars that enable the bars to be bolted to the wheel hubs. If bars six feet long are used it should be fairly easy to achieve parallel tracking or whatever toe-in is desired. The bars can also be used to exert leverage to check for play. I despair of tyre fitters as when I last had two front tyres fitted I pointed out that one front tyre had been wearing badly on the inside hence the tracking must be out. The boss instructed a teenage girl (YTS scheme?) to get the laser aligner. Four bits of kit like baskets with lasers and mirrors were hung on the tyres and the alignment was pronounced to be OK, no adjustment needed at all but many miles down the line the new front offside tyre has worn the same as before. Budget 195/65 x 15s cost me £60 each, the "alignment" £20 all plus VAT and I haven't been back since. Experts? they're no experts but its the old old problem of "where can I get a good xxxxx" where xxxx is garage, tyre fitter, solicitor, builder, dentist etc etc. Checking alignment from the wheels is no good anyway as the rims sometimes get bent. Allegedly some Polish mechanics are very good as they still have apprenticeships in Poland. Good luck.

DIY Wheel Alignment - Sofa Spud

Tyre fitters can get tracking wrong, as I once found out. I had to get a new tyre while on holiday in Cornwall a few years ago. They offered to do the tracking and it didn't cost much so i agreed. But the front tyres wore down very rapidly after that and were worn smooth on the outsides by after not much more than 1000 miles. I went to the local branch of the same tyre chain. The manager there said that I could have damaged the tracking myself by hitting a kerb. When I said I hadn't done that, he said I could have done it just by driving at an angle up a sloping ramp. I asked if he could check the tracking and he said he couldn't because the tracking equipment was faulty and was away being repaired.

In the end I took the car to a rival tyre dealer. They checked the tracking and found it was 8 degrees out!!

QUOTE:..."I pointed out that one front tyre had been wearing badly on the inside hence the tracking must be out."" Sounds like the vertical alignment of one wheel was out rather than a tracking problem. More difficult to cure.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/03/2010 at 12:04

DIY Wheel Alignment - Non
Maybe someone might find this update useful. I just adjusted my alignment and video'd it

youtu.be/garbWMZoxvA
DIY Wheel Alignment - skidpan

I have been checking my tracking for over 30 years now using 4 bricks, 2 steel bars, 2 old 12volt batteries and a 3m tape.

Works on all makes.

Costs sod all.

DIY Wheel Alignment - bathtub tom

I have been checking my tracking for over 30 years now using 4 bricks, 2 steel bars, 2 old 12volt batteries and a 3m tape.

Also castrates camels?

DIY Wheel Alignment - skidpan

Also castrates camels?

Indeed it does but it make your eyes water if you don't keep your thumbs out of the way.

DIY Wheel Alignment - bathtub tom
Maybe someone might find this update useful. I just adjusted my alignment and video'd it youtu.be/garbWMZoxvA

The problem with devices that measure the sideways pull of a tyre is tyres that are worn.

If the tyre's worn unevenly, it won't have a flat surface. Take for example a tyre that's more worn on the outside than the inside. That will produce a pull towards the more worn side. If that wear was produced by too much toe-in (likely) this sort of device will indicate insufficient toe-in and if additional toe-in's added it will only exacerbate the tyre wear.

DIY Wheel Alignment - gordonbennet

Can't find my old sliding set of small bore copper tubes for my heath robinson tracking method, so recently treated myself to one of these www.trackace.co.uk/Trackace.html

Took a few minutes to get me head round it, and the 16" wheels shod with 75 aspect tyres on the Landcruiser were about as large as you could reasonably expect the thing to operate, but i'm impressed with the results, as expected by the wear on the fronts she was towing in too much, not now.