Skoda Rear Wiper - Carl
I have a 2003 Octavia where the rear wiper will operate on its intermittent setting regardless of the wiper switch position; the only problem is that the fault only happens every now and then. As the car is still under warranty, I have returned it to a Main Dealer who could find no fault whilst they had the car.

The fault seems to occur most in wet weather or driving up a steep incline or when a sudden change of direction is made or driving over speed humps. The main dealer has removed the trim to the tailgate and checked the motor and wiring to it, which proved OK. I too have tried shaking the tailgate quite hard with the ignition on to see if the fault is caused by vibration (faulty motor / defective wiring?) all to no avail.

I seem to recall that someone posted a message that VAG wiper switches were known for this fault (although on questioning, the main dealer replied that he had never encountered this before) and I am tempted to have the switch replaced out of my own pocket (warranty expires in May, and I don?t fancy keep returning the car to a dealer for them to trace an intermittent fault which may or may not occur whilst they have the car). However I would be grateful if others could advise if this a common fault / if it is likely to be the switch / if not the switch where else to look ? the switch does not feel worn and I assume that the intermittent function is carried out by a timed relay, could this be at fault?