Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - No FM2R

My wife has just called and described a warning light which is flashing in the Landcruiser.

It sounds like the 4WD light, but it is flashing rather than just on and is apparantly red. I thought the 4WD light was orange.

Has anybody got a Landcruiser manual to hand or knows what this light is ?

She's in the middle of nowhere and somewhat annoyed, so quick would be good.

Thanks,
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Dave N
What landcruiser is it?
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - NowWheels
What landcruiser is it?

A blue one, I think :)
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - cheddar
What does it say next to the light? Or can she describe the graphic, there are all sorts of systems that probably have a warning light such as HAC - hill start assist etc.
Landcruiser Warning Light - Chad.R
I'm fairly sure I have the same model, albeit the pre-facelift 99 Landcruiser Colorado 3.4VX.

I've checked through the manual and though it lists the warning lights it doesn't say what colour or whether they flash or stay lit.

However they all should have a graphic relating to the warning. If you can find that out......
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Clanger
1. What you need is one of these tinyurl.com/z2r89

Then you'd have to change your name ....

2. I don't suppose that wife could take a pic of the warning light on her phone and send it to you so you could describe it to the congnoscenti (not me) here?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
It looks like a picture of the front and rear axles with wheels and a drive shaft between the two diffs. The front wheels being steered slightly tot he right.

Does that make sufficient sense ?

And I wish I had an fm2r, but there you are.
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Chad.R
It must be the the rear diff lock indicator.

There are 2 warning lights with similar symbols to what you've described;

The center diff lock indicator - this symbol is as you describe but with a "X' in the middle of the drive shaft, is amber and stays lit.

The rear diff lock indicator - this again is as you describe but with the "X" between the rear wheels and is red and stays lit.

There is no mention that this indicator light doubles as a "warning" i.e. no mention of why or what to do, if it comes on when you haven't actually switched the rear diff lock on.

As an aside, in usual operation if you have the rear diff on, the ABS is automatically turned off and the ABS warning light should also be lit.

Also when you turn the ignition on, this indicator light should come on as a checks but goes out when you start the engine.
Chad I owe you a beer. Spot on. I don't know why it was flashing, but it was the rear diff locked. Issue resolved and girlie relieved.

Thanks again to all,

Mark.
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Chad.R
No worries. Glad to hear it's all sorted.

Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Dave N
It flashes until it's locked, then stays lit. It needs the allignment of diff internals/driveshafts to be correct before it will lock. Same happens when you unlock, flashes until completely unlocked.
And that would be the final part of the mystery - thanks Dave.
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - Jono_99
Final advice - sometimes helps to go a short distance in reverse to conclude the disengaging process. It did on earlier versions of this set up

Jono
Anyone with a Landcruiser ? - BobbyG
No FM2R, think its time to tell your missus how to drive the Landcruiser, between putting petrol in and playing with all the switches.... :)
>>No FM2R, think its time to tell your missus.....

"tell" my missus ? I can think of less painful ways of committing suicide.