BMW nearly new bargains - Sulphur Man
Thanks to all those for replying to my previous thread re: X-Trail 2.5. However, that choice went right out the window this afternoon when I test drove a BMW 120d SE and ended by buying the demonstrator. What a stunning car! Two 3rd-gear roundabouts and I was sold. Goodnight Vienna.

What really clinched the deal was the amazing price the dealer )Barons Farnborough) set on the car. Its a Sep 2005, metallic blue, Xenons, leather, comfort pack and 17" alloys. 4800 miles on it. Total cost new would be 24145. I paid 19995! That price was non-negotiable but I wasnt complaining. Having checked the BMW website there's lots of 1-series of similar ages all with thousands off. I thought the residuals on this car is rock solid? I queried the price with the dealer (after shaking on it) and he said BMW 'sell these cars at a loss'. What gives? HJ furnish your knowledge on this please?
BMW nearly new bargains - scotty
Now, I can't quite remember, but what's craic with VAT and demonstrators?

Les
BMW nearly new bargains - Falkirk Bairn
As a general rule companies cannot claim the VAT paid on cars.

Exceptions are
Driving Schools, Lease Companies, Garages(where the car is registered in the garage name)

Also exempted currently are these big 4x4 pickups that can take over a 1 tonne payload - explains partly their popularity. Any VAT Reg Co can claim the VAT back and the private use charge for Income Tax purposes is £500 (inc fuel)

If a "normal company" (not Driving School, Leasing Co etc) buys a car that was previously VAT reclaimed by the 1st owner the the car VAT can be reclaimed by the normal company. A "normal comapny" buying an GREY IMPORT can reclaim the VAT I believe.

On re-sale the "normal company" has to account for the VAT at the time of sale in their VAT returns as an input.
BMW nearly new bargains - Dalglish
he said BMW 'sell these cars at a loss'. What gives?

>>

because "no one who wants a golf or audi a3" will pay those prices.

if you type "bmw 1 ugly" in the forum search (on the right under your log in name ), you will find the answer.

mind you, i do not agree with those views.

BMW nearly new bargains - jacks
and he said BMW 'sell these cars at a loss'.

Wish I had £1 for every dealer who has said
we are selling - insert make/model - at a loss !!!!!!!!!!!
BMW nearly new bargains - Bill Payer
Imagine how much they must be losing on Mini's then - BMW must be on the verge on bankruptcy. :rollseyes:
BMW nearly new bargains - dylan
drivethedeal are doing this car brand new with these options at £21104. (Without the options it's £18206.)
BMW nearly new bargains - massey
Similar BMW 1 120d SE offered here with 5,000 miles at £16,995

dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=3...2

BMW nearly new bargains - Pezzer
Sulphur man welcome to the club, although I have to say you wont find a particually 'receptive' crowd here to the 1.
I've got a Sport and I agree that those 3rd gear roundabouts are simply a joy when you get them right.

Enjoy - it'll be even better when it loosens up somewhere btween 7-10k

P

Cheers Pezzer. Pick the car up next Tues, cant wait.

Massey, that 16995 120dSE isnt similar really. There's no options on it at all.

Still no one has directly answered my question though. How is a BMW so much cheaper after just a few months, even thru authorised dealers? Its not like theyre not popular. I see them everywhere.
BMW nearly new bargains - Aprilia
I suspect that there are a lot of 'demo' 1-series around so that BMW can effectively heavily discount them and get them sold. I don't think they are actually selling terribly strongly. I cannot believe the list price of those cars, its way OTT for what's on offer. They look all wrong (has the profile of an oversize training shoe) and don't have the quality feel to justify that price. All IMHO of course...
BMW nearly new bargains - Altea Ego
Me Confused Bunny.

You were after an x-trail, and came home with a 1 series.

Thats like going the indian takeaway and coming home with a pizza.! Different food completely!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
BMW nearly new bargains - DavidHM
There are lots of very cheap lease deals around on the 1-Series too - 116ES for £199+VAT pcm on a 3+35 for instance. That means that even without interest they need to be looking at retained values of £8.5k to break even compared to buying outright... realistically it's equivalent at least £2k discount on new. 12% off a less than 2-year-old BMW design is very high indeed.
Me Confused Bunny.
You were after an x-trail, and came home with a 1
series.
Thats like going the indian takeaway and coming home with a
pizza.! Different food completely!

A good thing too! The world doesn't need another 4x4 owner. I note in his X-Trail post he said he 'moved to the woods and needs a 4x4'. We get that in my area (rural Midlands) - people move out here and fancy themselves as 'country folk', sell the Mondeo or whatever and buy a 4x4, set of green wellies and a wax jacket. 1-series is a much more sensible buy, even if its not the prettiest thing on four wheels.
BMW nearly new bargains - Lud
You wouldn't mind if they'd ended by impulse-buying a lumbering Speed Six Bentley though, would you Aprilia?
You wouldn't mind if they'd ended by impulse-buying a lumbering Speed
Six Bentley though, would you Aprilia?

>>
Oh yes I would. We don't see many of those around here though. Pea green Disco's are popular. Or those with a bit more brass go for Range Rovers - great for driving up onto the pavement to dodge around the traffic.
BMW nearly new bargains - Lud
Don't see many of them anywhere... surprised you wouldn't like one as part of the local scenery though. Perhaps you'd be afraid of having to rebuild the gearbox making the parts.
BMW nearly new bargains - cheddar
The 120d is a fine car and looks great IHO too, though £20k is a lot for a used car of that size. I would ask myself what else I could have for the money and when I got to either of the following I would probably ditch the 120d:

Focus ST 5dr + ESP + ESR + 6CD from a broker for £17k.
Golf GTi 5dr from a broker £19k.
BMW nearly new bargains - P 2501
>>people move out here and fancy themselves as 'country folk', sell the Mondeo or whatever and buy a 4x4, set of green wellies and a wax jacket.

Yup, don't know exactly where you are Aprilia, but i live in the peak district and see alot of these types clogging up the town centres on a weekend.
BMW nearly new bargains - Sprice
The 120d that Massey posted seems to be well specced, what extras do you have on yours then Sulphur? Then again, I only buy bangers so anything seems well specced :(

PS, I think the 1 series look great too!
BMW nearly new bargains - Collos25
A bargain at £20k more money then sense I would say.
BMW nearly new bargains - kal
The notion that BMW sells cars (1 series) at aloss is to put it politely simply rubbish. As an Investment Analyst of European companies I can confirm that BMW has some of the highest operating margins in the motor industry, it's more profitable, than say Mercedes Benz, and yet it does not have the best prodoctivity metrics in the industry. A BMW is as much as a brand as well as car, and brands once they are impressioned upon the minds of the consumer, implies higher margins.
Still no one has directly answered my question though. How is
a BMW so much cheaper after just a few months, even
thru authorised dealers? Its not like theyre not popular. I see
them everywhere.

If you're happy with the deal and the car then that's fine.
I would assert that is isn't 'so much cheaper' - you got a 6mth old, 5000mile ex-demonstrator for 17% under its new list price. That's not (in my opinion) 'so much cheaper'. Bear in mind that options (in your case £3000 worth) don't really add much value to the car (you'll find that out if/when you try to p/x it), so your car would have had to compete with brand new ones at £21,000. With a bit of discount, there wouldn't be much in it.

By comparison, I paid £23,500 for a 6 mth old, 6000 mile C Class, that would have listed at £33,500 when it was new. And I still think I might have slightly overpaid.
Ooooff...so many questions.

Aprilla, being well accquainted with previous 3-series the 1 cabin is definitely has the same standard of fit and finish of its bigger brothers. The demo I bought was beautifully put together.

TVM, yes the X-Trail to 1-series change-of-mind warrants an explanation. My fiancee and I were after something fun and individual for about 20K, whatever fun that form may take. We thought slobbing around in an over-specced 4X4 might be fun or maybe an older E-class Merc coupe. The car is not required for commuting; trips to the dump; the school run; town centre speed bumps; etc. etc. - just for us. The only thing it might be used for on the horizon is a daytrip to France for some grog. It had to be a fun car.

Sprice, Masseys online 16995 1-series is an SE spec with no options. Yes, you get all that on an SE - doesnt look such bad value does it. Mine adds on black leather, xenons, metallic paint, 17" 5-spoke alloys, heated seats, interior light pack, comfort pack - in total just under 3500 list price extras.

I think its a well-priced car. The prejudice against its price seems to be around the mindset that its a hatchback and should be a value motor. Look at it this way...it has an astonishing 163bhp engine producing 250lb torque thru rear wheels yet returing 45+mpg on combined cycle. And its smooth as you like, no diesel clatter once warmed through. Find me another car in the same price range to compete with that set-up. The Focus ST is an exciting and cheaper car but its 7 years too late. In the post-Chav world its very tasteless. Also, its fwd like the Golf and an invitation to a delightful meal with Mr and Mrs Torque-Steer.
BMW nearly new bargains - daveyjp
I think its a well-priced car. The prejudice against its price
seems to be around the mindset that its a hatchback and
should be a value motor. Look at it this way...it has
an astonishing 163bhp engine producing 250lb torque thru rear wheels yet
returing 45+mpg on combined cycle. And its smooth as you like,
no diesel clatter once warmed through. Find me another car in
the same price range to compete with that set-up.

When I looked at it my prejudice against it was that it's a two seater car with four doors. Hence I went for the A3 Sportback which is in the same price range, not quite as powerful, but it does have DSG which more than makes up for 20 odd horsepower!
Dont forget your cambelt change at 40K.
BMW nearly new bargains - daveyjp
1 - There is still no advice from VAG that it is 40,000.
2 - It won't be problem for me - the car won't be mine at that mileage!
BMW nearly new bargains - scotty
I would assert that is isn't 'so much cheaper' - you
got a 6mth old, 5000mile ex-demonstrator for 17% under its new
list price. That's not (in my opinion) 'so much cheaper'.

That 17% is what I was hinting at above. It's very close to the VAT payable on the car as "new".

I wouldn't regard that as a very good discount for what is, when all said and done, a used car.

Les
SM, you might be interested in the following link - you might find a bit more 'common interest'.

www.babybmw.net/forum/portal.php

(Mods - hope this is ok)
Thanks Peezer. I'll go there in a while. Enjoying the banter here right now! Feel free to step in......whenever your ready...no rush....
BMW nearly new bargains - MichaelR
I had a 118d for a few days the other week.

Nice car, in the same way a Focus is a nice car, but for nearly £20k? Not a hope in hell. Top spec one should be £15k tops, otherwise its overpriced. Might as well have just bought a 320d once you've spent the best part of £20k.
BMW nearly new bargains - alex

I don't admire the 1-series because of its poor interior space utilisation and I would never buy any car which doesn't come with a spare wheel.

I've read in some consumer motoring mags that certain tyre sizes can be in short supply. Imagine not being able to drive your expensive vehicle because of the lack of a replacement tyre.
Fair point about the space, although its not as bad as some (6' 5" Jeremy Clarkson) make out. HJ's review is more realistic on this subject. My motoring needs are not space orientated. Fun and driving pleasure were paramount, with not too much thirst. This car really sates those needs, and then some. It should be mentioned that the driving position and visibility is significantly superior to its competitors. I believe A3 and Golf are all worringly flawed by seriously think A pillars.

Now you tell me about the tyres!
Yup you've got it. OF COURSE I know a Golf is bigger (albeit the GTI wasnt available when I ordered mine ) and of course I know that a Focus was cheaper- but guess what I didnt want either of 'em or a Mondeo Tdci ! Most of the time (90%) the car is carrying a maximum of 2 people but it copes ok when it needs to carry me, SWMBO and x2 pezzlets. SWMBO has a 7 seater so I dont need a cavernous interior in fact I dont like big cars ! I tried the A3 and it left me completely cold and I couldnt get out of it quick enough.

I wanted something a bit different and I wanted RWD after umming and ahhing over a 3 series coupe. I'll accept that the 1 is a bit odd looking sometimes but hey I can live with that and the deal I got through the LeaseCo met my criteria especally when factoring in the low emmissions and BiK .

Unfortunately the 1 offends several groups of people, firstly its a BMW thats enough for some, secondly its a Bangle design which offends others and thirdly its lowering the entry point into BMW ownership which offends those who think its cheapening the brand but if you look at a basic spec outgoing 3 series I just dont buy that !

But I am now seeing loads of them on the road now a so sales cant be that poor but perhaps they have had to adjust their pricing which is a fair criticism !

I wouldnt bank on 45+ mpg. Long runs yes but around town its likely to be high 30s, It has easily the best and most comfortable driving position of any car I have ever owned.

I have just replaced the rear tyres on mine without a problem and this solved a gripe I had about the RFTs.

I have no problem with the choice of car - Viva La Difference!

What I have a problem with is the thread title. £19995 may well be the 'correct', market price, but there's no way it could be described as a bargain.
Yes, maybe my exuberance brimmed over a bit on the thread title but what price happiness? 19995 seems reasonable to me. Q. Why do all other hatchback drivers look so po-faced? They sold their souls to fwd and 'versatility'.
BMW nearly new bargains - drbe
SM, you might be interested in the following link - you
might find a bit more 'common interest'.
www.babybmw.net/forum/portal.php
(Mods - hope this is ok)

>>

Is this a BMW site? It looks very much like it.
BMW nearly new bargains - Stu Phedd
I searched for one of these pre reg bargains but could not get Exactly what I wanted !! So after searching the country for me for a couple of weeks ,the local dealer offered me a new one at the pre reg price , a 120 SE with "Bits ",
I comes on Wed !!
got fed up with my Golf GTI eating turbos is the reason for the change , so the BM came out at roughly the same price as the VW.
Lets see how it goes !
BMW nearly new bargains - Dude - {P}
Just out of interest at what mileage did the turbos go on your GTi and did you allow the turbo to spool down after a run ?????
BMW nearly new bargains - Stu Phedd
every 12k miles !! and spool down , ? dont quite know what you mean / in gas turbine speak it was always a cool stop , but the problems were waste gate , not the actual turbo rotor itself.but the whole lot gets changed
it was a 150PD.loved it and if it was reliable I would have stuck with VW! .