How can you tell? - cheddar
I have been driving a C-max for a few days, I put it on my insurance so gave the ins co the reg and model details - C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCi 110. When I received the temp cover note it stated C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCi 90, the Ford dealer insisted it is a 110 and they should know, they ordered it and have it on the Ford system as a 110.

However neither party was able to advise as to how one can physically check by looking at, in or under the car so how would a second hand buyer cope?

Regards.

How can you tell? - Avant
Would the VIN number be different and thus identifiable by the dealer?
Yup, though AFAIK you cannot look the car over and tell which engine it has.
How can you tell? - Pugugly {P}
Some hire Focus I drove had a large adhesive label on the cam cover proclaiming its PS power...
How can you tell? - David Horn
If the handbook gives a 0-60 time, find a quiet stretch of road, plonk child in passenger seat with stopwatch, floor it and see what sort of figure you get. Bound to be in the ballpark.
Perhaps more fun on top speed, timing between mile marks, or perhaps over an hour, if it will do 117 miles in one hour it must be a 110 ;-)
And the V5 says ?
It's not my car so no idea, I just think that it should be possible to tell the engine spec from doing no more than opening the bonnet, if not from a simple badge on the back.
How can you tell? - Quinny100
My previous Mondeo always came back as a 115 when insurance companies got the details off the registration plate. Also the original V5 gave the model as Zetec TD, when I received my V5 for the car it read Zetec TDCi but gave no indication of power output. It was definitely a TDCi 130.

Is there no sticker under the bonnet? Most of the newer Fords I've looked at have had a sticker just above the grille with the engine size and power in PS and KW.
How can you tell? - Union Jack
Perhaps suffering from finger trouble whlst moving down this interesting thread, I accidentally clicked on Avant's name only to discover that although he theoretically does not have a "visible" profile, he actually has a very detailed one. Intrigued, I then find that whilst Cheddar is shown as having no profile and has none, PU theoretically has a "visible" profile, but has none! Curses .... I'll now have have to check every post.

Not a hijack since, back on the original theme, I've had a quick look out of interest at the very recent new-style MOT certificate for our XK8 only to discover that it has apparently turned into an XKR - I'd better try both David Horn and Cheddar's suggested road tests immediately! On second thoughts, since the insurance certificate states XK8, I'd better not bother although, on third thoughts, I suspect that the new MOT certificate derives from information from DVLA since the V5 states ... XKR!

Just had a look - no supercharger + no mesh grille = no road test = more curses + contact DVLA (unless DVD or the Legal Eagles tell me I don't absolutely have to).

Jack
The {P} thing was put forward by a regular member a couple, if not more, years ago, to indicate whether there was a profile visible. We were told off by a moderator 'cos this meant re-registering under the new handle. I deleted my profile when someone connected with my work looked me in the eye and asked me if I was PU......
How can you tell? - Union Jack
Ever the master of the understatement, PU! More or less precisely why I prefer to maintain a very low/non existent profile, especially having used four different monnikers in the old days, depending how and what I was feeling .....

Jack

PS No free advice about the V5/MOT then?