Skoda 1.9 TDi - Alyn Beattie
Hi All

My brother has a cambelt gone on his 1.9tdi. Has this damaged the engine or is there sufficent clearence between pistons and valves?

Hope you can help, he's tearing his hair out over this.
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
Skoda 1.9 TDi - quizman
How old is the car, and how many miles on the clock please?
Sorry
2002 model. 61000 Miles
--
Alyn Beattie

Skoda 1.9 TDi - Roly93
I'm sorry to say that this is the PD engine which has almost certainly damaged its valves on breakage of the cambelt.
If you are lucky, you may only get away with a couple of new valves.
Thanks Roly

Sorry to be a bit thick, what's a PD engine?
--
Alyn Beattie

Skoda 1.9 TDi - SjB {P}
what's a PD engine?

"Pumpe Duse" or German language for "Pump Injector".

Diesel fuel is injected under enormous pressure and with a very fine spray directly in to the cylinder.
Skoda 1.9 TDi - Roly93
"Pumpe Duse" or German language for "Pump Injector".

Pumpe Duse actually mean 'metered pump' in English. These engines are unique in the fact that they use a Bosch 'unitary injection' system, which means that each cylinder has its own cam-driven injector pump and combo injector assembly. The main advantage of the system as mentioned previously, is that higher injection pressures can be attained than just about any other system. However the disadvantage is that there isn't quite as much scope for pre or pilot injection events, which are used in common-rail diesels as the main method for keeping the engine quiet at idle. However thes engines are still just about the most fuel-efficient motors on the road.
Skoda 1.9 TDi - SjB {P}
>> "Pumpe Duse" or German language for "Pump Injector".
>>
Pumpe Duse actually mean 'metered pump' in English.

Interesting, as "Pump Injector" is what I have heard many times and actually checked first with a Google; www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/040929.htm

A German dictionary also returns "duse" as "jet" and "blast pipe".
Skoda 1.9 TDi - Altea Ego
So I am driving around in a VW touran with a Jet Blast Pipe engine?

Now that sounds kewl
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thank you all. Never ceased to be amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site.
--
Alyn Beattie

Skoda 1.9 TDi - Carl
You have not mention what model it is but I have an Octavia 2003 model, but can confirm that it is not fitted with a PD engine (115Bhp) but the pre PD direct injection engine (110 BHP)instead

Some Octavias in 2003/2004 model year were fitted with the 130Bhp engine, which I believe is PD

Thanks Carl

Apparently the car is an Octavia Ambient 1.9 TDi first registered May 2002.
--
Alyn Beattie

Skoda 1.9 TDi - Aprilia
'Duese' is a jet (it should have a U with an umlaut over it, but I don't now how to do an umlaut so use 'ue' instead). For example a jet aeroplane is a Duesenflugzeug.
Skoda 1.9 TDi - SjB {P}
'Duese' is a jet (it should have a U with an
umlaut over it, but I don't now how to do an
umlaut so use 'ue' instead). For example a jet aeroplane
is a Duesenflugzeug.

Thanks; exactly what I wrote.
Skoda 1.9 TDi - mare
Apparently the car is an Octavia Ambient 1.9 TDi first registered
May 2002.

That'll be a 90bhp non PD then.

the cambelt tensioner on my '00 110bhp TDI broke and the belt jumped a few teeth. Once repaired, it sounded like a bag of spanners and then the garage where i got it fixed went bump, so i got rid.

I was warned that on the bottom pulley there were three possible settings (?) for the cam belt and so it may have needed have tweaking. I would have had it tweaked if the garage stayed solvent!

Anyway, I really don't know whether or not the car would have been ok once tweaked, but it did work, after a fashion. Performance was dire, it stalled easily but economy was unaffected. Wierd.