Focus - new or old? - LHM
SWMBO has been looking for new transport to replace her ageing VW Passat. The Ford Focus is one possibility.

A local Ford dealer (in common with several others) is offering new model 1.6 5dr Zetec (climate pack) hatches for around £8800. The car she's looked at has 17k miles and is 9 months old (seems a bit high - not sure of their history). Haggling margin seems very limited...

Looking round on the internet hasn't revealed a better deal on the new Focus, but comparable ones are available for the outgoing model - with only 3 or 5k miles on the clock. Maybe the price would be more negotiable for the 'old' model?

By all accounts, the new Focus is a 'better' car all-round than the original - though at the cost of considerable blandness, I have to say.

So which model would backroomers recommend for a 'keeper' - SWMBO does about 12k miles a year and tends to keep cars for some time (the Passat's done 165k and this replaced an Audi 100 with 190k on the clock!).
Focus - new or old? - Roly93
Have a look at Trade Sales web site, they do both versions at good prices, I have a 53 reg Focus Zetec from there and it has been great, although the new Focus is very nice too, but still commands quite a price premium.
Focus - new or old? - v0n
Previous generation focus was generally better to drive. It's smaller on the outside, slightly better handling and better materials were used inside, despite the overall postmodernistic fugliness of the interior. Because it's old shape you are likely to find much better spec and trim for considerably lower money. Mind you, with £8800 you are in low mileage 54 plate Passat range as well...
Focus - new or old? - Adam {P}
I knew the new one has a shockingly bad interior both quality and design wise but I thought that it handled better than the previous version?
Focus - new or old? - Blue {P}
The new one does drive better than the old one IMO, certainly for normal driving, it just feels nicer.

However, the dash is inexcuseably dull when compared to the old one.

Blue
Focus - new or old? - LHM
Mind you, with £8800 you are in low mileage 54 plate Passat range as well...

...not to mention the Mondeo. Whilst I accept that running costs, 'newness' etc. all figure in the equation, I don't see how similar prices are asked for two different 'classes' of car - particularly from the same manufacturer.

I always have this problem with SWMBO's cars! The conversation usually goes something like this...

"OK, so what car were you thinking of?"

"Oh, anything - just something to get me from A to B"

"What about a xxxxxx ?"

"Too small"

"How about a yyyyyy ?"

"Too big"

"OK - why not a zzzzzz ?"

"You've got to be joking - wouldn't be seen dead in one"

"Well what about an aaaaaa ?"

"Too boring"

"Well what then?"

"Oh - just something to get me from A to B"