Parking outside my house - machika
I am not one for causing upsets with my neighbours but I have a case, at present, where I do not feel obliged to back down. We have quite a long frontage on our house and we do, occasionally, leave our cars parked on the road, rather than on our drive, which is just big enough to take two cars, parked in tandem. However, if we want to use the one that is blocked in, it means moving the other one, so the reason for parking on the road from time to time.

I decided to leave the Xantia on the road for a few days and it has now caused the neighbour who lives opposite to complain that he can't reverse out onto the road because of the Xantia's postion. Now I don't park opposite his drive but I do park on my side of the road, either side of his drive. If I leave it one side of his drive, he can't reverse out one way (in his opinion), if I leave the other side, he can't reverse out the other way. So I moved it the other side of the road, as yesterday we were having a new gas meter fitted, and I couldn't park on the drive anyway.

This morning, he has enlisted the help of his next door neighbour to complain (as I was parked outside his house) that I am taking up the space of his visitors.

Parking outside my house - Collos25
Whats right and whats wrong is open to conjecture but you have to live with these people and I would sooner have friends than enemies around me.
Parking outside my house - SteVee
I assume you car is parked legally outside ?
It sounds like you're attempting to accomodate him - but he doesn't have any real grounds for complaint.
I get this in my road - I say 'mine', it's a public road and anyone including my neighbours or myself are allowed to park there. I'm lucky that my neighbours don't whinge, and neither do I.
I'd say you got the balance right
Parking outside my house - normd
it all depends on what sort of relationship you want with your neighbours. It's a public road so you can park where you like as long as you're not directly blocking his access. You can then slag off his driving skills ie "what do you mean you can get out of your drive? I could get a bus in/out there!!!" Alternatively, as you say you have a wide frontage to your property could you not lay some slabs of whatever and create another run-in for you second car in the front garden?
"what do you mean you can't get in/out of your drive" - was what I meant of course....
Our front garden is not that big (it is fairly long but narrow)and I do not want slabs or other hard standing where we now have a lawn or shrubs. In addition, he could easily reverse his car onto his drive and so eliminate his so called problem when driving onto the road.

I should add that he gave his neighbour our ex directory phone number, when asking him to ring us.

There will be a week, in May, when we are away on holiday, that we are having a new kitchen fitted, and this will mean the Xantia will have to be left on the road to allow for a skip to be placed on the drive and to provide access to the back of the house.
Parking outside my house - Armitage Shanks {p}
Either accommodate him, which you are trying to do now or tell him to contact the police if he thinks that any law is being broken. I have have just had major grief from some grisly neighbours re parking on a grass strip in front of our 2 semis. The upshot was a criminal assault on me, the police being called and the neighbours (who are tenants not owners), being given notice to quit! A real result!
Parking outside my house - AN Other
Groan... Why are people this tedious?

You sound like you're doing everything you can here. Your neighbour sounds like he has a slight screw loose, or needs something more meaningful than parking in his life. Under no circumstances muct you give you neighbour the impression that you realise this!

I'd try talking it over with him again - in a friendly way over a coffee if you can arrange it. Invite him over and apologise for causing him grief, but hope you can reach an understanding. Point out to him that whoever parks in the road makes it more difficult for the other to reverse out, but you're happy to work around his visitors etc. You really have to "kill" him with how reasonable and decent you are, whilst gently making him aware of how he would feel were your roles reversed.

Remember, you're not dealing with a rational adult. You need to use the kind of skills you might with a difficult teenager, without patronising him.

I hope you get this sorted - it's probably not worth falling out over.
Parking outside my house - mss1tw
My approach would be less touchy-feely.
Parking outside my house - Bill Payer
the neighbours
(who are tenants not owners), being given notice to quit!

Tenants are always difficult - especially where the odd house amongst mainly owner/occupied is used for short term lets. (Regular readers will know I have an axe to grind here!).

We have the parking issue too - although our drives are staggered on either side of the road so people tend to park right opposite the end of the drive - this actually makes reversing out easier, as you can then reverse either side of the parked car. One of my neighbours used to leave his car offset to the end of our drive - it's a dark blue car and our road is very dark at night - and I backed into it as looking over my left shoulder and reversing to the right, I didn't see it.
Left a nasty dent in his front wing but he didn't seem bothered! He doesn't park there anymore, though.
Parking outside my house - Big Bad Dave
I have no sympathy for people who park on roads when they have a drive. I have no sympathy for people who reverse out instead of reversing in.

The people opposite my parents? home never use their 2-car drive and leave us no room to let the front swing round when we reverse into our drive.
Parking outside my house - oldgit
I have no sympathy for people who park on roads when
they have a drive. I have no sympathy for people who
reverse out instead of reversing in.
The people opposite my parents? home never use their 2-car drive
and leave us no room to let the front swing round
when we reverse into our drive.

You obviously haven't tried reversing into your drive whilst living on a busy main road, then, when there is a lot of fast moving traffic approaching from the rear.

IMHO that is also a dangerous manoeuvre. I would much rather swing into a driveway quickly forwards and then reverse out when the road is relatively clear (despite what the Highway Code says about avoiding reversing out of a driveway.
Parking outside my house - Falkirk Bairn
It might be hassle to move 2 cars in and out but in the longer term it is worth it

1) No inconvenience for neighbours, no hassle from neighbours and a quiet life for yourself makes it worth the little effort.

2) No chance of your car being side swiped and the driver run off.
leaving your wing mirror hanging or worse damage. Cheaper car insurance if your car is parked off road rather than on theroad

A neighbour has a "Fibreglass Espace 1997 vintage" - small tear in fibreglass door/wing by someone reversing and an insurance claim the bill was nigh on £1000 as panels have to be made to measure (Matra the builder of the Renault is bust)- this could all have been avoided if he parked both his cars in the diveway which can take at least 2 columns of 3.

Parking outside my house - Dipstick
This seems to be a case of weighing the inconvenience to you against the inconvenience to him. The sort of person you are dicates your action.

I know which I'd do but we're not all built the same way.

I can actually sympathise with this as I am in pretty much the same situation. ie a narrow street with neighbours with multiple cars/visitors; it sometimes takes a few goes to get the Previa out, forwards or reversing. I've ended up just seeing it as a challenge to my driving.
As for the holiday in May, are there any neighbours or friends who either don't have a car or have enough space who would allow you to park in their driveway for a week?
Parking outside my house - Xileno {P}
I believe you are not supposed to reverse out onto a road.
I believe you are not supposed to reverse out onto a
road.

The Highway Code say that you MUST NOT reverse from a side road into a main road but also states that you should AVOID reversing out of a driveway (or words to that effect). Most people I know and whom I have seen, drive in forwards and reverse out.

In recent years and at some cost, I would add, I have had the front of my garden extensively modified such that I can drive in forwards and by doing a 2-point turn can be facing forwards to drive back into the road again 'legally'.
Parking outside my house - Adam {P}
We have a similar problem. 3 cars - drive just big enough for them and Dad's bike in the garage.

Ofetn if I'm home last thing at night I'll park at the end of the drive and then in the morning Mum or Dad will move mine to get theirs out and leave it on the front until I get up and put it back in the drive.

We have great neighbours but one time Dad's was outside when he'd gone out on his bike and the people over the road struggled to get a Tranny van they'd hired out of their drive - a friendly request to move our car and we did and for that reason try to keep in the drive.

I'm saying that - mine and Dad's cars are at the front now because Dad's just gone out on his bike and to put them away only to back them both out again in half an hour is stupid. At night though, all the cars are in the drive. Compare this with the next street which has carless drives all around the clock even with one car families. Now that annoys me.

We live in a relatively quiet cul-de-sac which does help but it does sound like your neighbour is being unreasonable.
Parking outside my house - Lud
No one has personal rights over parking spaces on the public road unless they have a disabled bay. Why on earth can't this idiot's visitors park outside some nearby house? Are they disabled?

Of course you don't want to be on bad terms with your neighbours. But it would be virtually impossible to stay on good terms with a fussy prat like that. Cold, distant and seldom, but impeccably polite, would seem to be right. Tell him to go forth and multiply, but in the nicest possible way.
But if someone parked opposite your drive and made it difficult to enter and exit would you too not get a little annoyed.The moment a car is parked it becomes an obstruction and so commits an RTA offence.
Parking outside my house - Xileno {P}
Always a difference between what is legal and what is deemed to be civil behaviour. Perosnally if you have a drive, then I think you should use it.
Always a difference between what is legal and what is deemed
to be civil behaviour. Perosnally if you have a drive, then
I think you should use it.

>>

If using it means moving the other car, rather than leaving the car on the road, then I would rather leave the car on the road, as it does an engine no good to be run for a few minutes from cold, as HJ would tell you.

I usually drive down our neighbours drive, which is right next to ours, in order to park the Xantia next to the house, but I can't do that if they have a car parked on the drive, as they often do.
But if someone parked opposite your drive and made it difficult
to enter and exit would you too not get a little
annoyed.The moment a car is parked it becomes an obstruction and
so commits an RTA offence.

I don't park opposite his drive, I park either side of it.

He has regular visitors who park outside his house that cause the same 'inconvenience' to us, but it is of no consequence to me or my wife.
Parking outside my house - Gromit {P}
Logic suggests that if your neighbour's visitors park in the road (causing a similar obstruction, as he chooses to see it) then he has no grounds to complain when you do likewise, Machika.

Whether he can be encouraged to apply logic in this case is another question, but I'd agree that its better to start by trying to sort it out amicably first.

Good luck,
- Gromit
Parking outside my house - lordy
Coming back to Big Bad Dave's post. If a car is parked in such a way that it either stops you, or makes it near impossible, to get in your drive; that's obstruction, and you could legitimately complain to the police. If, which I suspect in machika's case, its just a bit inconvenient for the guy across the road, tell him to stick it.

I reverse mine and my wife's car's into our drive (side by side). It's not hard to do, and surprise, surprise, it makes getting out much easier. The idiot next door to me always reverses out of his drive, and makes a right song and dance of it to. Big revs, slipping clutch (sloped drive), frantic hand movements on the wheel. Much to my amusement.

If people want to park on the road, so what, as long as no one is clearly obstructed. If they don't want to use their driveways, so what? A guy has recently moved in a couple of doors down and he parks his car right opposite my driveway on the other side of the road. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It bother's my neighbour though.

Learn to drive properly, learn to manoeuvre your car whilst it's going backwards. Stop trying to pass off your failings in a car as someone elses fault! Why is this world so full of small minded, petty, self obsessed idiots?

Personally, I like the challenge of being able to park a big car in awkward spots neatly and in one sweeping and highly impressive movement, to the applause of bewildered onlookers.

Rant over, heart rate slowly returns to normal.

--
let me be the last to let you down....
I should have mentioned that ours is a wide estate road, so he is not reversing out into a tight turning. I have come across estate roads that were barely more than half the width of ours.
in that case next time he complains offer to manouver his car for him or turn into his drive with yours and demonstrate how simple it is. In my street when there's a car parked either side against the kerb the Previa only just fits down the middle.
Parking outside my house - Dynamic Dave
in that case next time he complains offer to manouver his
car for him or turn into his drive with yours and
demonstrate how simple it is.

Or ask him if you can park your car in his drive and let him park on the street instead ;0) He seems incaple of exiting his drive, whereas you sound as though you could manage it.
Parking outside my house - bell boy
you say he has given your ex directory number to a neighbour? then the man is a cad and cannot be trusted,i would carry on as i am if there is plenty of room ?and treat him as a carbuncle that needs lancing.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
It never ceases to amaze me how readily people will start these turf wars without properly knowing state of mind of the people you?re dealing with. I gave this a lot of thought about 5 years ago when I was with my first wife in Hampstead and our little cul-de-sac could only accommodate parking on one side of the road (the opposite side to us). The woman opposite was outraged if we ever left one of our cars there and one day cornered my wife and flung a string of abuse at her, words that even I never use. Yet surely she must have known that my instinctive, alpha male, territorial reaction would then be to approach her husband and crush the life out of him. I mean what did she really think would happen? That I would let it lie? He certainly knew, because I could smell the fear from two streets away. I felt sorry for him when I finally caught up with him, he was only a little guy.

The other thing was, they also had two cars. They developed this ritual of never moving one unless the other was ready to fill its space which involved lots of revving and high speed manoeuvering. What really shocked me was how much energy and time they were prepared to waste in their campaign against me. It must have been exhausting for them.

After that, I started leaving my car on the main road and walking down our street just to ease the tension. But there were still several threatening notes left on it from various other neighbours. That?s Hampstead for you. Money can?t buy common sense.

My advice would be do what it takes to make them go away. Park on your drive.
If the neighbours concerned were obviously loonies who were likely to damage your car or worse, you, then of course, common sense must prevail, and live to fight another day. But, if it is just petty minded idiocy, why go out your way and not do something you would normally do, just for their sake?

Yes I would rather get on with my neighbours than not, but ultimately, I couldn't care less either way. The days of leaving your back door open and borrowing each others sugar are long gone.

I'll be a good neighbour whenever I can, and (next door excluded) have helped my neighbours with various things without a problem. but I wouldn't roll over and take it up the chuff from any of them just to 'keep the peace'.
--
But you now have to mention any disbutes with neigbours when you sell your house don't you.
Some people get incredibly self-important for no reason other than that they've got a car.

When I was a minicab driver in Clapham I double-parked waiting for a punter in a fairly busy one-way street with cars parked both sides. After a while a car stopped behind me, several having passed already, and tooted. I got out and asked the driver what the problem was. He said there was no room to pass. I looked: there was about a foot either side of his modest jalopy. I told him so and got back into my car. As I did so he said bitterly: 'You haven't got a NEW car.' Meanwhile the traffic that had built up behind him started hooting menacingly. He went through the gap and stopped 20 feet down the road, in the middle of the carriageway, clearly hoping to give me a taste of my own medicine. The traffic went on hooting, and a few angry shouts were heard. I was cool - the punter hadn't come out yet - and waited eagerly for a few white van men to sort the idiot out, but in the end he bottled it and drove off.

Machika's neighbour is that sort of prat. Just tell him what's what, politely if you like, and leave it at that.
Parking outside my house - Vin {P}
Ask him what his preferred solution is. It might be that you find out what would placate him is something totally acceptable to you.

V
Ask him what his preferred solution is. It might be
that you find out what would placate him is something totally
acceptable to you.
V

I know what his preferred solution is, which is not to park where I have been parking. I don't suppose he is bothered about where else it is left, or he would be 80 yards down the road where there are cars parked on the road long term.

The again, he did encourage his neighbour to complain about me parking outside his house. Perhaps he is on mission!
These sorts of things have an ugly habit of spiralling way out of control. I mean how many times do you read in the paper about someone racking up £50k in lawyers and legal fees all because of something petty like the woman next door not trimming her bush.
Harrumph!
Parking outside my house - Galaxy
I beg your pardon !!!!
Parking outside my house - The Lawman
BBD is dead right. I keep a scrap book of such stories to show to clients who want to start a court case against their neighbours. Some of these disputes ruin peoples lives, and ultimately can lead to bankruptcy, prison, and sometimes worse.
Well, obviously, we read about such cases every week or so and are glad we aren't involved. It can be explained though that one's territorial instinct applies to one's property, not the public highway, and that it's unreasonable to complain about others' parking if a competent driver isn't going to be hindered by it. True, people might not understand, or might not want to, but one can patiently offer the explanation again and again until they go away.
Parking outside my house - ffidrac {P}
>>If I leave it
one side of his drive, he can't reverse out one way
(in his opinion), if I leave the other side, he can't
reverse out the other way. If I remember correctly then reversing from a minor road into a major road is actually illeagal, surely there is no more of a minor road than a private driveway??

I was taught to reverse INTO my driveway by the BSM instructor nearly 20 years ago because of this.
Parking outside my house - Clanger
Surely it would be more sensible to park on the pavement like normal people? Maybe your little Xantia isn't butch enough to mount the kerb and you should consider buying a 4x4. /tic mode off

I favour a conversation with your neighbour about your requirements and the possibility of him complying with the HC by not reversing out of his drive. If it's any consolation we live on a single track road overlooking a bank down to a stream. A couple of times a year I have to try and find the picnicers who have left their cars parked across the gate to our yard so I can drive out (forwards).
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Parking outside my house - tack
Parking in the street is fairly guaranteed to get someones goat at some stage in your life.

Death, taxes and annoying neighbours who insist they own the whole street are the only constants in our short stay on this blighted planet.

Even if you have a drive, no reason why you shouldn't park outside your own house. We are a three car family, me, wife and daughter. I always have the third car parked outside my house in a quiet residential street. My opposite neighbour never parks his car on his drive. I don't really care if he parks outside his own house, but he gets the hump if someone else parks there!

Hold the high ground with polite firmness. Maybe the opposite neighbour could widen his exit if he insists on reversing out of his drive way. he can park at a slight angle. You are not being anti social at all. As a matter of interest, where does he park HIS car when he goes out? Who does he inconvenience?
It would be interesting to hear the neighbours side of the story so us the jury can give an unbiased verdict.
It would be interesting to hear the neighbours side of the
story so us the jury can give an unbiased verdict.

You have the neighbours side of the story. How much more complicated can it get? I have told you where I parked the car and I have told you why he objects.
Sorry to be pedantic but we have what you say is your neighbours story.You cannot give evidence for both sides in a court case.
Sorry to be pedantic but we have what you say is
your neighbours story.You cannot give evidence for both sides in a
court case.

My neighbour came across the road when I was in my front garden and asked me not to park where I had been parked, for the reason I have already given. Unless my neighbour has other issues which he hasn't explained to me, that is his story.

I perhaps should have added that his car is a Vectra, to give you some idea of the degree of difficulty he is facing in getting his car onto the road. In my opinion, the road is wide enough to get his car out onto his side of the carriageway. It is obviously not his opinion.
Parking outside my house - LHM
Having read this - and similar - threads, it never ceases to amaze me how much fuss is made over this topic.

As I understand it, the only place you can legally park a motor vehicle is on private land or a specifically-designated car park. Any parking on the public highway constitutes an obstuction in that it prevents the 'passing and re-passing' of that bit of space occupied by your vehicle. It is only by the good grace of the police (!) that were are allowed to park on the road - outside our own house or anywhere else.

From the details given by the OP it seems extremely unlikely that the police would be at all interested in his neighbour's case. Whilst the OP is technically causing an obstruction just by parking on the public highway, unless he is actually parked across his neighbour's driveway the police would be unwilling to act.
There are thousands of dwellings in this country where there is no other option but to park on the road. Perhaps the people who live in these dwellings should not have cars?
Parking outside my house - Robbie
There are thousands of dwellings in this country where there is
no other option but to park on the road. Perhaps
the people who live in these dwellings should not have cars?

That could well be a future option for some government if owners have nowhere else to park them.

I'm amazed that people have space on their property to park cars, yet wilfully leave them on the highway. Is it sheer laziness? Yes, it is a pain to open the gates on the drive, and then open the garage door and drive out the car. I have to do it every time. However, I know that my car is relatively safe and I'm not going to upset my neighbours.
>> There are thousands of dwellings in this country where there
is
>> no other option but to park on the road.
Perhaps
>> the people who live in these dwellings should not have
cars?
That could well be a future option for some government if
owners have nowhere else to park them.
I'm amazed that people have space on their property to park
cars, yet wilfully leave them on the highway. Is it
sheer laziness? Yes, it is a pain to open the
gates on the drive, and then open the garage door and
drive out the car. I have to do it every time.
However, I know that my car is relatively safe and
I'm not going to upset my neighbours.

Goodness me. How many people do you know that put their car in garages overnight - I don't know many.
I have two cars and the smaller of the two is put into the garage whilst the other stands on the driveway, to one side.

Most people, nowadays, for one reason or another, can't be bothered to use their garages as these have become a repository for junk or who have bought cars too large for the garage.
another reason why some people have to park on the road is that modern cars won't fit into modern house's garages!
Parking outside my house - carl_a
There are thousands of dwellings in this country where there is
no other option but to park on the road. Perhaps
the people who live in these dwellings should not have cars?

I sympathies on your situation with the neighbour, they can be a pain some times.

What I can't understand is that there are new houses being built that only have a single or no car parking space. It should be made law that sufficient parking spaces should be allocated (i.e. one for every room in the house).

While I feel everyone who legally is allowed to have a car should be able to do have one, perhaps looking at the Japanese system of only allowing tiny cars for those with no parking spots is a good idea.
What I can't understand is that there are new houses being
built that only have a single or no car parking space.
It should be made law that sufficient parking spaces should be
allocated (i.e. one for every room in the house).

>>

That would mean an awful lot of parking space being provided. Most new houses have drives that would have only just enough room for one car, simply because the front gardens are so small.
My wife has gone out in the C5, so the car is back on the drive now. However, before I parked it there, I reversed the Xantia onto the road from our drive, just to check how difficult it would be to reverse out onto the near side of the road. It is a piece of cake.
Parking outside my house - mare
What I can't understand is that there are new houses being
built that only have a single or no car parking space.
It should be made law that sufficient parking spaces should be allocated (i.e. one for every room in the house).

I can sort of answer that one.

It depends on the policy of the planning authority, for example in Bristol, the council actually seek to reduce the spaces available so as to persuade people to walk / cycle / bus into work, and not have a car. Fine if you're half a mile level walk from the centre, not so good if you 2 - 3 miles out. That said, Bristol does have a car club scheme running so if you NEED a car, you can rent one at a reasonable rate.

On two schemes i have running, we only have to provide 17 spaces for 24 flats. The Section 106 (planning gain) included a contribution to the Car Club scheme.

On another smaller scheme, which were 3 bed houses, we only had to provide one space and one visitor space between 4 houses. That application was rejected, and the scheme we are now doing which is two 5 bed houses still only need two spaces per house.

The policy will differ area to area. Where my previous house was, the policy was two spaces, which the developer satisfied by providing a single garage and one space on the drive. Of course the garages are too small for most cars, but when you're buying a 800 square foot house, most punters want the living space, not the car space, and use the garage as a shed.

How you would change those guidelines and policies, i'm not entirely sure, maybe become a counciller and get on the planning commitee, and therefore make the policy?

Parking outside my house - SteVee
machika, as a matter of interest - according to your insurance, where do you park you cars when you are at home ?
Have you had a word with the neighbour your phone number was given to - or are they trying to stay as far out of this as possible ?
machika, as a matter of interest - according to your insurance,
where do you park you cars when you are at home
?
Have you had a word with the neighbour your phone number
was given to - or are they trying to stay as
far out of this as possible ?

>>

The car should be parked on the drive where, in fact, it is 99% of the time. I am allowed to leave it on the road if necessary, as was the case on Wednesday. I check with my insurers some time ago and it is not an issue if the car is occasionally left on the road overnight.

The issue with the neighbour who was given our phone number was resolved, the problem is with the neighbour who made the initial complaint. We intend to speak to him about giving out our phone number.
Parking outside my house - carl_a
I can sort of answer that one.

I fully understand the crazy polices of local, national government and the benefits to the developer. However its extremely short sighted (as is everything with government), currently planning seems to be going down the track of the disastrous 50's and 60's at the moment.

To keep on topic machika, I don't think your neighbour has a problem with the car being parked where it is. He just doesn't like the fact that you park there, anyone else?s car and it would be fine. The idea that he can affect your life and gain attention at the same time appeals to him (as it does to many people).
Parking outside my house - Group B
>> It should be made law that sufficient parking spaces should
be allocated (i.e. one for every room in the house).

>>

It varies between Local Authorities and varies with location. In N.E. Derbyshire, a new 3 bedroom semi in a suburban location will typically have to have 2 off-street parking spaces. Where I live on a new estate in Nottingham, 2 bedroom houses have 2 parking spaces.
Where we occasionally design house extensions for people, if the extension is adding bedrooms then you are often required to create an extra off-street parking space. Which often means paving over part of the front garden.
When I extended, the house went from three to four bedrooms. A planning condition was that I had to provide parking for at least three vehicles on the driveway. Fortunately, I already had the space, which was clearly obvious. This however, didn't stop my neighbour informing the council that I didn't have room for three cars, and I was therefore breaking the conditions of planning permission, and I should be made (and I quote) "to tear down that monstrosity with immediate effect".

I wonder if he is in any way related to machika's neighbours?

--
Parking outside my house - oldtoffee
>>My approach would be less touchy-feely.

Mine too. Cups of coffee, friendly chat? That won't work with his type. He's a petulant coward - getting another neighbour involved - pathetic.

You say you don't feel like backing down. Don't. Take the initiative. With someone else there as a witness, front him up in a polite, calm but firm manner, tell him a few home truths about his behaviour. Tell him you've had enough trying to accomodate him, you don't want to hear from him on the subject again. End of.

He'll back down. Even if he doesn't (unlikely) you'll know exactly where you stand (you don't now) and with a bit of luck he'll be stupid enough to threaten you or your property. Involve the police and he'll end up with a warning, next time arrest and court.
I think a touch of friendly negotiation would be in order. If you just steam up to him, with a witness, and give him a bit of ear ache it won't look too marvellous in any subsequent police action or interviews. If you can say that you tried to keep it friendly, no good result so you told him what was what, this would seem to be a more logical and reasonable approach.
There won't be any confrontations but he will be left in no doubt what we think of his actions.
Parking outside my house - Perfection
This is an interesting thread. I also have a narrow drive which can accomodate 2 cars. However, I deliberately park one of my car on the roadside on my side. But I don't have complaint from anyone. The reason I park my car on the roadside is to stop my neighbour from parking his trade cars and bangers. Basically I don't provide the space for him to sell cars on residential properties. Some times he has upto 3 cars selling when he manages to park on the roadside causing a nuisance (engine reving noise, fumes and potential buyers knocking my door by mistake in the evening).

See if anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with neighbours selling cars at residential properties.
See if anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with
neighbours selling cars at residential properties.

You are normally not allowed to trade from residential property. You can operate a business but you have to inform the local authority and they will charge you business rates.

If he's causing bother 'phone the planning department of your local authority and ask if this is permitted. Chances are that it isn't and a planning official will pay a visit if you let them have details.

My neighbour, who lives immediately behind me, has a legitimate second hand car business in Liverpool and North Wales, but used to bring vehicles home to sell and valet. His neighbour, who lives opposite, complained to the council and he was issued with an injunction by the LA.
The OP was about a pain in the bum neighbour who kept making piffling complaints about parking.

The thread seems to have turned into a series of piffling complaints about people parking cars they are selling in the street, with advice on how to make trouble for them with the authorities.

Terrific. Let's all be pains in the bum.
Parking outside my house - Perfection
Lud,

How do you feel if you're waken up every Sunday morning with the engine reving and group of people around your drive with cigarette ends disposed on your drive?

If people are being considerate to other residentials then we won't have these posting. This message is not meant to offend anyone.
Parking outside my house - bell boy
i could sell cars from home especially on a sunday but i refuse both for my own/wife reasons and i like my neighbours,these people take advantage and are usually part timers who have a full time job as well,get them reported i say, or send them down to my place with a cheque to pay my rates bills for starters.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Parking outside my house - Welliesorter
Returning to the original topic, doesn't the whole situation simply stem from the erroneous belief that people have any special claim over the bit of road adjacent to their property? They don't, and they need to be disabused of this.

In a way, this discussion makes me glad to live on a road where few houses have their own driveways and drivers simply park on whatever bit of empty road happens to be available. If there's a space outside your own house, all to the good. If you have to walk a few yards further, it's not a major hardship.

I'm a little bemused by the mention of anyone extending their house having to add extra parking spaces: does this mean that owners of terraced house aren't allowed to add extensions?
Maybe the guy who lives opposite is concerned that one day he will reverse out of his drive and hit machika's car and is airing on the side of caution by asking machika if he could park elsewhere. A petty argument now, but I imagine a bigger argument could break out if the cars were to ever collide. Not to mention insurance companies could start asking why the car was parked on the road and not on the drive.
Parking outside my house - Navara Van man
I would try and placate him by only parking outside when you have freinds around or the drive is blockrd. If this still causes problems I would tell him were to stick himself.

Giving out an ex directory number without permision is wrong and i would certainly point this out to him.

Thankfully all the residnts in our private road get reasnably well and most of us park outside every now and then. A similar problem was solved by cutting back the hedge (at my expense) so as the cars could be parked closer giving more roof to park.
Lud,
How do you feel if you're waken up every Sunday morning
with the engine reving and group of people around your drive
with cigarette ends disposed on your drive?
If people are being considerate to other residentials then we won't
have these posting. This message is not meant to offend anyone.

Sorry Perfection. I didn't mean to be offensive. Actually I realise I was basing what I said on where I live, which I guess is quite urban and noisy compared to where you do. We don't have a drive, and we got used to people leaving bottles, cans, etc not to mention cigarette ends on our front steps ages ago! Silence never completely reigns even in the small hours, but we sleep on the third floor at the back. So sorry. I guess untoward clamour on Sunday morning would constitute a nuisance.
Parking outside my house - tyro
I don't envy you, machika. This seems like a difficult one.

If all else fails, I suggest that you adopt a new persona and play Jolyon Wagg* to his Haddock.

*Séraphin Lampion, if you prefer

Parking outside my house - bhoy wonder
The road outside my house can be busy especially on Sundays. I also have excellent neighbours mainly because we all take the time to have a chat even for only a couple of minutes. It is not unusual to have my drive blocked. But we all took the decision a few years back that if someone was going to block our drive then they would place a piece of paper on the dash to say what house that the person was in (simple). There has been no hassle what so ever. Even to the point where if as a family we going out I will say put your car in my drive I will be back at xxxx time. I feel that this is especially good when we are on holidays as there can be various cars on and off my driveway when we are on holiday.

I personally and others in our street make a point of going and paying a visit to any new neighbours that move in (bottle of wine in hand of course) and have a chat about the area.
This always helps break the ice and you then have no trouble if you have to have a chat to them about anything.

On the other hand the street my brother stays in they can hardly even look at each other and are constantly bickering about something.

Matters took a turn for the worse this morning, as the neighbour (abetted by his wife) has managed to rile my wife. She had been out to a church service this morning and parked on the road when returning, as our neighbours with the shared drive were cleaning out there car and had all of the doors open. In addition my wife was due to go out again in less than 2 hours.

As it so happened, the neighbour who has been complaining was out with his wife and returned a few minutes later. I happened to be busy with something at the side of our house and as soon as they had got out of their car, his wife shouted across the road to me and asked me to move our car. I told her I was busy at that moment and that it was my wife who had left it there in any case. As soon as I told my wife what had been said, she was on the phone to them and, as I know from experience, she is not a person to be crossed.
Parking outside my house - barchettaman
Uh oh. Hell hath now fury like a woman abused by her weird neighbours. Hope it works out OK, Machika.
Parking outside my house - drbe
Uh oh. Hell hath now fury like a woman abused by
her weird neighbours. Hope it works out OK, Machika.

Yeah, it's for the best. Once 'eI ('er indoors) gets involved, we either get a very quick resolution, or else it's straight into WW3.
In addition my wife was due to go out again in less than 2 hours.

15 mins maybe, but 2 hours? Surely long enough to consider parking in your drive, rather than rattle the neighbours cage even more? It sounds to me as though you're deliberately going out of your way now to upset them.
As I said, the car couldn't be put on the drive when my wife arrived home. The complaining neighbour arrived back within 10 minutes of my wife parking it there, so it wouldn't have made any difference if it had been there for 5 minutes or 5 hours, they still would have complained.

I just can't see the cause for complaint here. They had to wait no more than 20 seconds for an oncoming car before they parked on their drive and then asking me to move the car. It isn't a road with through traffic and nobody is put to any inconvenience by the odd parked car. There are some houses on our estate that nearly always have a car parked outside and I would never give a moments thought to complaining about any of them. I have lived here for 15 years and have never come across anything like it.

The chap tried to tell my wife he was trying to be neighbourly. How is he being neighbourly when he is telling us what to do? He also said we were creating one-way traffic. The mind boggles!
Parking outside my house - drbe
Perhaps, the time has come, when, reluctantly, you say to your neighbour that this has now gone on quite long enough. He and/or she must now either call the police if they consider a criminal law is being broken, or to take legal action in the civil courts.

However, there is just a chance that the authorities could decide that you are in the wrong and it could all blow up in your face.
My wife has already told them it has gone on long enough!

I have no fear of any authority deciding that I am in the wrong, or they would have to take action against several other people in the same road, never mind how many they would find in our village alone, who are doing the same thing on a long term basis.
Parking outside my house - Dalglish
I have no fear of any authority deciding that I am in the
wrong, or they would have to take action against several
other people in the same road, never mind how many they would
find in our village alone, who are doing the same thing on a
long term basis.

>>

two or more wrongs do not make a right.

see

www.tameside.gov.uk/tmbc5/trafficcalming/parking.h...m

" Clearing up Some Parking Myths "
No-one has a right to park on the public highway.

Machika, have you mentioned to him about reversing onto his drive? I wondered what his reaction was if you had.
--
Parking outside my house - AlastairM
Seems like a fairly open and shut case of an interfering neighbour who is trying to control or influence others by making it awkward.
M whilst not having the 'right' to park on the street certainly is allowed to do so as long as he does not create an obstruction. If as he says the street is a reasonably wide one then this is unlikely.
The neighbour seems to feel that he 'owns' the right to park, or have his visitors park in the street and by claiming he finds it difficult to manoeuvre out of his drive by reversing (which is against the highway code as well as common sense) seeks to enforce that right.

I think it's a red herring to start talking about whether or not M's wife was parked for 5 mins or two hours (per dynamic D), so what, it's not a restricted area so park if you can do so sensibly.

You will hand this twit a lot of 'power' if you comply with his rules, and it's that that he is after. Just park and let him get on with it, if he harasses you complain to the relevant authorities. If you bend over backward to oblige him he will end asking for more and more.

That said try the friendly approach if you can, but be firm and aware of where he may be coming from.
Machika, have you mentioned to him about reversing onto his drive?
I wondered what his reaction was if you had.
--

My wife did when she spoke to them. Apparently they find it difficult to do!
>> Machika, have you mentioned to him about reversing onto his drive?
My wife did when she spoke to them. Apparently they
find it difficult to do!

In which case, they also probably find it difficult to reverse out of their drive as well. As I previously said, maybe they are worried about hitting your car. If they really are unsure about being confident in manoeuvring their car, I know where I would park mine - as far away as possible from them.
" Clearing up Some Parking Myths "

A little impractical, wouldn't you think, to say nobody has the right to park on the road? What excuse could any authority have for saying a person cannot park on a road with no parking restrictions, if there is no obstruction caused (and I mean a real obstruction, not someone having to wait 30 seconds for an oncoming car).

A little impractical, wouldn't you think, to say nobody has the
right to park on the road?

>>

that may well be true, and you may not like it, but it is still the law; and it is on the side of your neighbour if he wishes to take you to task.

to quote further from that link:
www.tameside.gov.uk/tmbc5/trafficcalming/parking.h...m

The storage of your vehicle is your own private responsibility.

Buying a tax disc does not give you the right to park.

No-one has any special claim to the kerbside space outside of their house.

Just because there are no yellow lines, it does not mean that there is a right to park.

Whilst the department fully understands the concerns of obstructive parking, it is impossible for this department or the Council to resolve problems created by 'anti-social parking', most of which results from the practice of garaging vehicles on the public highway due to the shortage/lack of any off-street parking facilities within the cartilage of a property.

The problems this causes are all too common on residential roads, not only in this borough but in towns the length and breadth of this Country, creating difficulties for emergency services, refuse freighters, buses and many other larger type delivery vehicles.

Parking outside my house - NowWheels
Machika, I've kept silent on this thread so far, but there's something about it which rather worries me, so I hope you'l forgive me for throwing in my tuppenceworth.

You always come across as a very reasonable person, but this situation doesn't seem to be developing well. I think your neighbour's reaction is way over the top, but it also seems to me that he has a point. Not a very strong one, but he does have a point, and as others have suggested, if it came to the law it might not work in your favour.

It seems to me that there there is a real danger of this situation escalating into either a big confrontation or (even worse) a long-term simmering standoff. Neither of those is nice to live with.

I wonder if there isn't a bit of room for compromise on both sides?

Your neighbour might accept that it was worth trying to reverse in and that some times you might not be able to avoid being parked in a place that he finds incovenient.

You might be able to accept that it'd be helpful to him if you parked on the drive a bit more often than you do now, and to see if you can find a way of parking on the road that inconveniences him less.

It sounds like things have already got quite heated, but before things get any worse I wonder whether it might not be a good idea to drop him a wee note saying that you really don't like having a disagreement with a neighbour, that you are sorry that things have gotten so difficult ... so would he like to come over and have a few glasses of your finest wine (or tastiest cake cake or best single malt or whatever) so that the pair of you can try to find a way of sorting this out to minimise any incovenience to both of you?

Just a suggestion, but I really do think that a small investment in hospitality and a welcoming smile might go a long way to soothing everyone's nerves and helping you understand each other's position a bit better.
Parking outside my house - Pugugly {P}
cartilage ! Surely they mean curtliage.
cartilage ! Surely they mean curtliage.

or even curtilage;)
I hope you're right NW, but that sort of thing is more likely to work on a rational being like you or me than on Machika's neighbour. I'm afraid the gentle approach has been tried already. If it was going to work it already would have.

If a person who is stupid, stubborn, self-righteous to a slightly mad degree also has an idee fixe about your behaviour, watch out. Don't you remember teachers and fellow pupils like that at school?

If I were Machika I would be having longing fantasies about arson and professional hit men, although they would only be fantasies. He has all my sympathy.
Read the first part of the thread. The neighbour has made it clear that he expects Machika to do something (never park in the road outside his own house) that he doesn't do himself (he lets his visitors park outside his house).

This is not a person amenable to reason. Stupid, mad and tragic. Minimise contact.
I hope you're right NW, but that sort of thing is
more likely to work on a rational being like you or
me than on Machika's neighbour. I'm afraid the gentle approach has
been tried already. If it was going to work it already
would have.

Lud, I get what you are saying, but ... but but but.

What I'm suggesting is a massive escalation of the gentleness and an attempt to shift the situation into a different context. Shouting acros the road is one thing, but most people calm down a bit when seated in a comfy chair with a nice drink and a warm welcome.

Some people are utterly determined to be horrid to everybody, but others just have a chip on their shoulder and a bit of disgruntlement with something in their life, and can respond very well to someone who makes that huge effort to get through to them.
If a person who is stupid, stubborn, self-righteous to a slightly
mad degree also has an idee fixe about your behaviour, watch
out. Don't you remember teachers and fellow pupils like that at
school?

Sure, sometimes there are folks you just can't get through to. But sometimes it can surprising how successful a long-distance call can be. I've had people like that who seemed utterly untouchable, but who have eventually come round when I make a huge effort to appear unthreatening. Doesn't always work, but it can work sometimes.
If I were Machika I would be having longing fantasies about
arson and professional hit men, although they would only be fantasies.
He has all my sympathy.

And mine too, lots of it ... but tempting as those fantasies are, they don't really help anybody. I've been there twice with neighbours: once with a neighbour who got so agressive that I had to call the police for protection, and another time with a neighbour who proffered the cake. Having seen how far we got once we actually sat down (after very heated confrontations), I'd never say it's too late.

What's to lose here? A little bit of time, a few bob for a few drinks with a chance (however small) of a solution -- or the inevitability of ongoing nastiness?
Name-change time: NoWheels + Almera = NowWheels
Parking outside my house - barchettaman
I think you should move next door to Machika, Nowwheels....
I think you should move next door to Machika, Nowwheels....

I don't think that poor Machika has done anything to deserve such a terrible fate ;)

But another idea did occur to me: if the idea of extending a big olive branch seemed to much, how about Neighbour Mediation? www.mediationuk.org.uk/template.asp?lv=2&MenuItemI...1

Machika and his wife are clearly upset by the confrontation, and that mught be another way of easing things.
First, in answer to NowWheels, our cars are only parked on the road occasionally. I was using the Xantia during the week my wife was on holiday, firstly, because I prefer driving it, secondly, because it is more economical, and thirdly, because it is normally seldom used. We don't park the C5 next to the house because it is wider than the Xantia and it would make it even more difficult for our next door neighbour to get out of his van (and for ourselves to get out of the C5, of course). I also wish to avoid getting dents in the C5. The Xantia is normally parked on the drive (as it is now) for days on end, sometimes for a week or more.

Secondly, in response to the issue that nobody has a right to park on the road, as I have stated in an earlier post, there are thousands of people, in countless locations, throughout the country, who have no option but to park on the road. It causes hundreds of streets to be virtually one way systems. If someone objects to them being on the road, what is to be done? In addition, if an individual were to be singled out for action, as a result of a complaint by a neighbour, it would surely set a precedent and could not be limited to that individual, if there were like for like examples in the same street or locality.

Finally, the assertion by our neighbour, that he and his wife can't get out of their drive, without difficulty, is just not true. We do sometimes reverse out onto the road from our drive. It is not a busy road and it is not difficult to reverse out onto the nearside. This morning I got out with no difficulty, when a large furniture van was parked on the opposite side, adjacent to our drive.
Finally, the assertion by our neighbour, that he and his wife
can't get out of their drive, without difficulty, is just not
true. We do sometimes reverse out onto the road from our
drive. It is not a busy road and it is not difficult to reverse out onto the nearside.

How can you base your neighbours driving and manoeuvring ability on that of your own?

Try looking in any car park to see how many cars that aren't parked properly, or the kafuffle some people make at manoeuvring into, or out of a parking space.
How can you base your neighbours driving and manoeuvring ability on
that of your own?

It is only what I would expect of anyone who has a full driving licence. They are not learner drivers and it is not a difficult manoeuvre. Any road user has the right to expect a certain minimum level of skill from any other driver. I am not the world's greatest at reversing myself but I get by, and if I find it difficult at any time, I don't go blaming others for my limitations.

Parking outside my house - Clanger
Outstanding clarity of thought and expression from NW. Diplomacy rules!

Machika, perhaps you could get neighbour to join the forum and have his point of view scrutinised. I seem to recall that two neighbours did actually post here once ...
Hawkeye
Outstanding clarity of thought and expression from NW. Diplomacy rules!
Machika, perhaps you could get neighbour to join the forum and
have his point of view scrutinised. I seem to recall that
two neighbours did actually post here once ...
Hawkeye

Now that is a good idea. The point made emphatically by NW, that it's never too late for a charm offensive, is also compelling. It can be damn difficult with some people though.

The neighbour would have to put his POV in rational form that could stand up to scrutiny.

Fear of such exposure is what often leads to violence, psychic and sneaking in this case but sometimes the real thing.
Parking outside my house - L'escargot
It's situations like this that sometimes leads to one party or the other moving house. If only we didn't have to have neighbours!
--
L\'escargot.
Parking outside my house - John Doe
At what point is it neccessary to go straight to the police?
No offence NW, but I think your approach could be a bit too touchy feely. I'm all for a bit of diplomacy, which in Machika's case has been tried. It ain't gonna work here.

Machika has tried to reason and get his point of view across, but has met a brick wall. This man is incapable of seeing another point of view.

The best course of action is to ignore him completely. Don't get involved in a war, just ignore him.

As far as approaching the police is concerned, I would think the time has come to let them know. If they continue to harrass you, they will go and have a quiet word. If they still continue, they could even pursue an ASBO.

I see so many parallels here between Machika's neighbours and my own, although our fall out was not car related. Their caharacters are almost identical.

Incidentally NW, my neighbour has an Almera, but I know which Almera owner I would rather have living next door to me ;)

--
No offence NW, but I think your approach could be a
bit too touchy feely. I'm all for a bit of diplomacy,
which in Machika's case has been tried. It ain't gonna work
here.

You may be right! But having once lived with this sort of standoff myself (over a rather different issue), I do regret not having gone the extra mile to try to find an amicable solution.
Machika has tried to reason and get his point of view
across, but has met a brick wall. This man is incapable
of seeing another point of view.

Actually, I don't think I agree on either point there.

First, Machika has indeed trying to explain his pov -- but only at the times when his neighbour has lost his temper. If someone is angry, that tends to be a time when they don't really absorb the other side of the story, and are likely to feel that their side of it isn't understood either. In this case, it sounds to me as if both sides are hearing each other's anger but not their reasons. That's why I suggest discussing it at a point when tempers haven't flared.

I'm also not persuaded that the neighbour really is incapable of seeing another pov, simply that he he hasn't seen it so far. This man sounds very like a neighbour with whom I had problems, a man on a very short fuse whose response to every point of difficulty was to yell and shout. Things were difficult for several months until

I also wonder if Machika really has taken his neighbour's pov on board fully. As DD pointed out, some people have great difficulty with reversing, and if the neighbour has something else going awry in his life (health, job, marriage, whatever) he may be on a short fuse and have set on this issue as one thing where he sees himself as being "in the right" and entitled to sound off.

Sometimes, with people in that situation, a sympathetic ear can defuse things remarkably.
The best course of action is to ignore him completely. Don't
get involved in a war, just ignore him.

That is indeed a posibility, though it seems likely that Machika will still be left wondering whether's he or Mrs Machika are going to face an angry neighbour whenever they park. Even if he doesn't engage, it's still not fun.
As far as approaching the police is concerned, I would think
the time has come to let them know. If they continue
to harrass you, they will go and have a quiet word.
If they still continue, they could even pursue an ASBO.

The problem with that route is that even if it works in Machika's favour (which I don't think is guaranteed) it is likely to lead to ongoing tension. It may stop the shouting, but it ain't fun to find oneself living beside a neighbour who thinks you are complete swine. Being right isn't always enough :(

I wouldn't be entirely surprised too if the police response was a rather fed-up and frustrated one, involving telling both sides to chill a bit and either sit down to sort it out or engage solicitors -- or even to threaten them both with ASBOs. That would probably leave both of them feeling rather at best rather silly, or at worse even more aggrieved.
Incidentally NW, my neighbour has an Almera, but I know which
Almera owner I would rather have living next door to me
;)

Thanks! :)

I fear I have may already have said too much in this thread, and I don't want Machika to think I'm "getting on his case". So unless Machika himself asks me, I'll shut up.

Whatever happens, good luck to Machika in getiing it sorted :)
Whatever happens, good luck to Machika in getiing it sorted :)

>>

assuming that machika is committed to solving this problem, he can help himself by reading

www.scotland.gov.uk/library5/justice/rdwgc-01.asp

it will be in the interest of both parties, but particularly the first one who comes to sell their house, to resolve this in a friendly manner. otheriwse it is likely to have to be declared to prospective purchasers that a "un-neighbourly" neighbour dispute exists.

In response to the latest comments, particularly by NW, there has been no ranting and raving by either party, just the insistence by our neighbour that we don't park on the road. Even when my wife phoned them, she was assertive, but there was no raised voice, never mind ranting and raving.

Basically, if we need to park on the road, we will do. There are times when we need to keep the drive, or part of the drive clear, and so at least one car will go on the road at such times. It is unavoidable at such times. Unless the local authority or police apply restrictive parking on this road, then that is how we will carry on. There are no restricted parking areas in this village, to the best of my knowledge, and there are much narrower and/or busier roads in the village than ours is.
machika's right. Why shouldn't he continue with his legal and non-obstructive behaviour - which the neighbour shares - whatever the neighbour wants or claims to want?

If the neighbour can't cope with living in a normal street with normal traffic in it, he is free to move. Of course if I were he I would try to learn to park and unpark my car without making heavy weather of it. After all the fellow must have passed a driving test at some point.
Machika

Ignore them and don't let it worry you.
Ignore them and don't let it worry you.

>>

so that is the reason he started this thread?

after 109 replies, perhaps that is the piece of mind he was looking for his peace of mind.

after 109 replies, perhaps that is the piece of mind he
was looking for his peace of mind.

109 replies in which the topic has wandered all over the place, but basically boils down to Machika having a neighbour being a PITA. We've only heard Machika's version, but he consistently says that he and his wife are only doing what they already were doing and what most people do. And they've approached it apparently with a level head. So my advice is that he should ignore the neighbour and carry on doing what he has been doing.

No need for your sarcy comment was there?
Parking outside my house - Altea Ego
Humour me for a moment

I am living in a road, where the neigbour on the other side of the road, parks and makes it inconvenient for me to reverse out.

It happens at leats three times a week. The neigbour does not listen to my request to park on his rather ample drive as I do with mine.

Finally after repeated requests he firmly telle me he will not change his habit.

I therefore hire a rather large car, pay all the extras insurances including the CDW, and reverse out of my drive in my hire car into the neigbour who has been upsetting me

----- Discuss -------
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You might have difficulty hiring from that company next time, TVM. And your angry neighbour might do his best to get you charged with the motoring offence you have committed.
Parking outside my house - Pugugly {P}
This is now very boring and not worthy of this site.
This is now very boring and not worthy of this site.

Yup. It's all been said at least three times.
Let that be an end to it then.
Parking outside my house - Caveman
Basically, if we need to park on the road, we will do.

Isn't that a selfish attitude to take? Your neighbour on various occasions has asked if you wouldn't mind refraining from parking on the street because it makes it difficult for him to enter or exit his drive. Seems to me that you're being obstinate and making all the excuses under the sun to leave your car parked on the road on purpose, rather than being neighbourly.
Back to your cave, mofo.
Let that be an end to it then.

Fair enough - thread locked. It would have been interesting to hear your neighbours POV, but I expect my mod buttons would have been on overtime if he had of done.

DD.