Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - jaf
Hi Guys,

Hope I'm onto the experts here. Have a 2001 Renault Megane. Having problem putting it into reverse and the gears crunching. Only in reverse and only when engine hot. doesn't do it first thing when engine cold.

could it be Gear box oil need topping up? If so can't see where the gear box oil would go?

Could it be a clutch problem - but then why would the other gears all be fine.

I've read that anything to do with the gear box the whole engine has to come out? Booked it in with the mechanic next week but want some advice as this women doesn't want to be fleeced.

Thanks guys
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - Collos25
There is no syncromesh on reverse gear,could be a clutch problem or the master cylinder.
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - sine
Hi

Sorry if your already doing this but when selecting reverse you may find it helps if you put the clutch down and wait 2-5 seconds before selecting the gear.
Assuming the clutch is disengaging properly this will give the gears a chance to stop spinning and may stop the crunching.
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - Aprilia
As said above. If you still get it after waiting around 5 seconds then you have clutch drag (i.e. clutch not disengaging fully). Could be the operating mechanism or could be the clutch itself. If its the clutch then gearbox has to be removed - you're looking at probably £500 for the job at a dealers.
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - circlip
If the clutch was at fault, the noise would occur in all gears not just reverse. Remember, that when cold the gearbox oil will be more viscous ie. thicker and more able to absorb clashing gear components and mask the noise. When the gearbox is hot the oil is obviously thinner and is less able to do this. I agree that this points towards a syncromesh problem, but if its happening only in reverse, and slow engagment stops the problem why bother with the trouble and expense getting it repaired? Certainly a Renault garage will love to have it in to fix but brace yourself for the bill, it will make your eyes water! To check of anything serious has gone pop, drain the gearbox oil into a container through a cloth and examine the cloth for any particles left behind. Any solid objects will be bits if gearbox and will give you a clue to the problem area. If there are no bits, you can probably live with it.
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - RichardW
Sorry, circlip, that's mostly cobblers....

>If the clutch was at fault, the noise would occur in all gears not just reverse.

Not so, in forward gears the synchro takes up the difference.

>I agree that this points towards a syncromesh problem,

As noted above - no synchro on reverse. The reverse idler is not in constant mesh, so cannot be synchroed - you just have to rely on all the shafts having stopped going round before you engage it.

>To check of anything serious has gone pop, drain the gearbox oil into a container through a cloth and examine the cloth for any particles left behind. Any solid objects will be bits if gearbox and will give you a clue to the problem area.

I do agree with that - but doubt you will find anything.

I don't know about the Meganes, but other Renaults are not exactly unknown for the hydraulic clutch actuating mechansim going west, and giving limited travel at the slave end, causing clutch drag - which my money's on in this case.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Crunching in Reverse - Renault Megane - Aprilia
If the clutch was at fault, the noise would occur in
all gears not just reverse. Remember, that when cold the gearbox
oil will be more viscous ie. thicker and more able to
absorb clashing gear components and mask the noise. When the gearbox
is hot the oil is obviously thinner and is less able
to do this. I agree that this points towards a syncromesh
problem, but if its happening only in reverse, and slow engagment
stops the problem why bother with the trouble and expense getting
it repaired? Certainly a Renault garage will love to have it
in to fix but brace yourself for the bill, it will
make your eyes water! To check of anything serious has gone
pop, drain the gearbox oil into a container through a cloth
and examine the cloth for any particles left behind. Any solid
objects will be bits if gearbox and will give you a
clue to the problem area. If there are no bits, you
can probably live with it.

Nowt wrong with the gearbox mate. Will be clutch drag - bet a months money on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

{Thread locked - see follow up post here:- www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39019

DD}