Decent tyres? - Roo
I need to replace the front tyres on my Golf. Currently have Firestone-F-580's.
(175/70R13 82T) Are these good tyres? In the same league as Michelin Energy or Continental Eco?

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks

Andrew
Re: Decent tyres? - David W
Have a look at www.tyres-online.co.uk .

Their product info and actual reviews are good.

Personal opinion is that the Continental give best overall performance for a mid priced tyre. Firestones seem OK, in fact I've just ordered a set of F-590s in 165/65x13 for our Polo.

David
Re: Decent tyres? - Jim
Hi
Cancell the order for the F 590
I fitted a set of four to a Scenic Td. On leaving the tyre centre noticed a considerable increase in road noise, Also, and more seriously a big decrease in wet/dry grip. The tyre also 'felt' as if the sidewalls were jelly, very unnerving. I've scrapped them and replaced with Avons CR 320 ( i think ). These feel as good as the original Michelin's.
Re: Decent tyres? - David W
I appreciate the points about the Firestones. However they will be replacing a set of four tyres which are all different makes including three rubbish Korean types. Their tread styles are completely different and they have varying tread depths from 3mm - 5mm.

This is a 12yr old small and basic budget car so I think the four new Firestones will be an improvement on the existing ones. Also better than another set of bottom end Korean tyres.

I have found small light cars with firm suspension that mostly travel at less than 60mph far less critical of tyres than larger faster vehicles. People carriers in particular that are capable of carrying 7 need careful tyre choice with all that weight so high up.

The clincher was being offered them at the same price as most budget tyres and way under the quotes from large outlets for mid range ones.

I will give an honest report after the weekend.

David
Re: Decent tyres? - Honest John
My experience of Firestones is that they are the noisies tyres you can buy for a Mondeo, don't give a handling bonus and wear quite rapidly too. But that's just my experience.

HJ
Re: Decent tyres? - markymarkn
I like Pirelli P6000 - much much better than the Uniroyals on my astra previously. They're not too expensive, and offer really good grip in the wet and the dry.

I did loads and loads of research into what tyres to buy - Bridgestone Potenza RE-720 are about the best you can buy, but they're also about the most expensive. The pirellis were consistently awarded high marks in tests, and because they are so popular (OE on many cars), they are cheap.

HTH,

Mark.
Re: Decent tyres? - CM
If you are in the London/SE try Chessington Tyres. You can usually get a discount if you ask for one.
Re: Decent tyres? - Peter M.
This will probably put the cat among the pigeons knowing the general feeling in the Backroom re. 'Budget Tyres'..

About 6 weeks ago I had to replace the tyres on my old Pug 305 Estate. I've always had Michelins, but the tyre outlet didn't have any in stock, and were even out of their own brand (Euromaster, I think) The assistant, who I've dealt with for years, recommended some Matador 'Stella' tyres, made in Slovakia. These were £24.70 each (165/70). The total cost including fitting, balancing, disposal,etc. came to £156. (I actually more than doubled the value of the car by fitting the tyres!)

Having driven on them in a range of conditions over the past 2,000 miles,-heavy rain, black ice and snow and dry roads, I can honestly say that the only difference I've noticed from the Michelins is that they are much quieter, and don't 'wander' when driving over rough surfaces, cobbles, etc. They may not last quite as long as the Michelins, but the car's running on borrowed time anyway,-nearly 300K.

Hope this is of use
P.
Re: Decent tyres? - rogerb
We've had this discussion many times now !

IMO, the leading mfrs all make 'good' tyres, but you must decide whether you want high mileage OR great grip, 'cos the laws of physics say you can't have both, and certainly not for £25/tyre!! However, as most of us rarely get anywhere near the adhesion limits, in normal conditions, we can safely trade off 'ultimate stickiness' (probably Bridgestones?) in order to save some money.

My recent experience is that P6000s give great grip, but poor mileage, and my current Michelin XV1s provide slightly less grip, but look like lasting quite a lot longer.
Conti's, Goodyear, Dunlop, those Dutch ones whose name I can't recall(!) - all make 'good' tyres, as no doubt do some of the less well-known mfrs. Take advice from someone who you trust (NOT a tyre dealer) & you will probably do OK!
Re: Decent tyres? - RogerL
Modern Michelins don't deserve their undoubted reputation for longevity. Older Michelins outlasted anything but the Michelin Energy XH1 are the fastest wearing tyre I had since '85. They are also very noisy.
Re: Decent tyres? - ROBIN
A couple of years ago Falmouth tyre services,on The Moor,found me some Michelin energies with supposed moulding marks,185/65/14 for fifty quid each.
40000 miles later the old 405 turboD wagon hasnt finished eating them.
Ask around,could save you money,and the defects are invisible.