Corsa steering rack - cw_cw
Hi,

I have a 03 corsa 1.4SRi and had a knocking noise intially from the suspension (drivers side) from about 5000 miles, vauxhall said it was me, nothing wrong, at 9000 miles unbearable noise, "oh u need a new steering rack sir", had that done (along with broken engine mount!?) then I had it serviced last week, at 34000 mentioned a slight noise from susp, and guess what! "oh u need a new steering rack sir", now luckily these are both under warranty, but at 34K, 2 racks knackered, doesnt say much for the parts or is there an underlying problem?

I have also had the broken gear selector problem, feels like ur stirring a massive pot!

I think I have to change cam belt at 40000, do you suggest water pump at same time?

Has anyone else had these problems? What else should I expect from my corsa (out of warranty!?)
Corsa steering rack - Carrow
The problems you mention are common faults, also instument clusters can need replacing. These are pretty reliable cars though, just keep up the servicing, and yes change the water pump.
Corsa steering rack - terry.s
we had a corsa with the same problem as yours.same year and similar milage.a replacement rack was fitted under warranty.i.e.within 3 years but not a good recommendation for vaxhall.also when selecting 2nd gear it was very difficult.you really had to put extream force on the gearstick to engage the gear a gear.it needed a new selector shaft which is located between gear stick and gearbox.(external).this solved the problem.regards Terry.s