Megane II Problem - AJ2610
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I've got.
Checking my oil at the weekend like a good boy, pulling the dip-stick up I got a little surprise - it snapped off half way down!

Having spoken to Renault today, they claim that this would be classed as wear & tear - however, it seems a little odd to me that one should snap after 18 months.

Any opinions?
Megane II Problem - Altea Ego
Utter tripe

Its a defect. I assume its one of the plastic ones?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Megane II Problem - machika
That would be fair wear and tear would it? What absolute rubbish. Dealers/manufacturers with this kind of attitude do themselves no favours whatsoever.
Megane II Problem - AJ2610
It is one of the plastic ones. A nice clean break about 9 inches down. The break is so clean there isn't any stress on the plastic at the point it breaked either - indicating it hasn't been bent

Initial quote from the dealership was for 6 hours labour to take the exhaust and sump out as well just to take it out!

I could understand it if I'd tried to push it in "the wrong way" and snapped it because I was forcing it, but pulling it out - how many ways are there to pull out the dip-stick?
Megane II Problem - Xileno {P}
That's daft, there must be a way of removing the broken off piece without removing the sump. I haven't looked at my Megane's engine (dCi) but on my VW the dip stick metal tube is attached to the sump, I am sure it can be separated.
Try looking at www.renaultforums.co.uk - there are a few RTE's who post there, they would know.
Megane II Problem - Imagos
IIRC the meganes dipstick is in an extremley awkward position and difficult to get at. Maybe for a reason.

Why not leave the oil level check to the dashboard level indicator? I'm positive your Megane has this feature as do most if not all Renaults.
How will he know how much oil to put in when it's serviced though? I don't trust these dashboard level indicators, I like to see the oil on a stick.
Megane II Problem - piston power
most engine dipstick tubes are a push fit into the block and secured at the top with a bracket, maybe you could remove the tube and pull the old piece out?