Freelander TD4 opinions? - cheddar
Hello,

I have though about changing the Mondeo and gone through the options from another Mondeo, perhaps a year old Ghia X 2.2 TDCi or 3.0 V6, maybe a new Focus estate 2.0 TDCi from a broker, I have looked at a nearly new Vectra 3.0 CDTi - great VFM, concidered a facelift 330d Touring of approx 2001/2002 vintage and also an Impreza WRX 5 door of a similar age for a bit of fun. However nothing has got me going enough to do anything about it.

Now the wife wants to change the Clio for a 5 door Freelander, not a new one she says - phew - one the we would not worry about filling to the brim for a tip run. Ok, I do not know too much about Freelanders, I know I dont want a 1.8 K-Series one or a 2.5V6 for that matter, I also know the early (Rover 'L' Series?) diesels were very rough so it would have to be a BMW engined TD4, so when were these launched, I guess 2000?, has the engine spec changed since then, if so when? What is the best trim level? What is there to look out for?

I am in two minds, I really am not sure if I am after support for a Freelander purchase or back up when I tell the wife why we are keeping the Clio.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Freelander TD4 opinions? - Woody
Don't.

I bought a TD4 new in 2000 and disposed of it in 2003 having had numerous faults and horrendous servicing costs.

Some say it's called a "Lander" as in "Land a bill for £1,000 every time it goes to the dealers".

My Landrover dealership was just a sorry queue of disgruntled owners trying to persuade exhausted and frustrated staff that the problem is still not fixed.

TD4 engine ok, but 112 BHP to this day and no more than adequate for such a heavy machine.

A RAV4 would be a far more sensible purchase, or try a Nissan X-Trail. Honda CRV excellent but diesels still recent and pricy whilst the petrol is swift but thirsty (I have one).

Seriously, just don't buy a Freelander.

Woody.
Freelander TD4 opinions? - bell boy
i keep away from 4x4"s, but talking to a mechanic a few weeks ago he cured me of freelander thoughts forever,so im with woody

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Freelander TD4 opinions? - Avant
Perhaps you should arrange for her to test-drive a Honda CRV. Probably less good off-road, but otherwise it'll do everything else that a Freeloader could do, and not go wrong.

In fairness, some Land Rovers give very good service, but it seems to be too much of a gamble.
Freelander TD4 opinions? - mrmender
I have to confess i like most things Land Rover. Most of us Landrover nuts could never take to the Freelander
The TD4 has a good engine same as my Rov75 tourer
Saw a Freelander in my mates repair garage having a new clutch a MAJOR job he has very little good to say about them
>>I am in two minds, I really am not sure if I am after support for a Freelander purchase or back up when I tell the wife why we are keeping the Clio.>>

Seems like I will be doing the latter, thanks for the help all.
Freelander TD4 opinions? - Marky Mark
I also seem to recall the freelander featured on ?Top gear or Fifth gear in a crash test and the results were pretty scary. I seem to remember it was crashed head on into another car (can't remember what) at fairly low speed and the results were not good ie distorted A pillars etc. I always remember that image when SWMBO started wanting one!

MM
Freelander TD4 opinions? - PW
Hi Cheddar,

Not sure what sort of age you were looking at for the Freelander, but is if any interest to you a friend has just put his 53 X Trail 2.2DCi for sale.

Not sure if can post details here- but is on Autotrader and he lives just the other side of Wells.
Freelander TD4 opinions? - Nsar
Ours has been largely trouble free over 2 years and 30 odd thousand miles from new. 2 faults - a heater pipe came adrift and a sensor on the turbo recently failed. Both problems fixed w/o fuss under warranty. That said I don't care for the rather jerky gear change.
Land Rover fans have been sniffy about it but I rate its off-road abilities and this is echoed by comments I've heard first hand at Land Rover centres. I speak as someone who has a Series III for off-road fun.
Subjectively I think it's looks an awful lot better than an X Trail both inside and out.
>>a friend
has just put his 53 X Trail 2.2DCi for sale.

Thanks PW. I found it out of interest "The car can also be viewed in the Salisbury area" is I guess the one.

An X-Trail does not appeal though, the wife like the Freelander though personally the only 4x4s that appeal are Imprezas, X-Types and maybe an RS4.
Freelander TD4 opinions? - PW
Hi Cheddar,

Yes that's the one. Second your choice on the 4x4s- although I do know of a nice Mondeo TDCi LX up for sale in the Weston area- if can get the flipping autotrader website to work....
Freelander TD4 opinions? - Happy Blue!
If you like fast 4x4s and SWMBO wants an estate style - get a Forester. Mind you it does like a drink.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?