Computer Related Questions - Volume 82 - smokie

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 83 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 82. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Wi Fi Music. - Pugugly {P}
Is there a widget on the market that plugs into a HiFi system's inputs so that digitized music can be played from the home computer network ?
Wi Fi Music. - smokescreen
www.netgear.com/products/consumer/prod_multimedia_...p

Something like this?
Wi Fi Music. - bell boy
or a 3.5mm jack plug to 2x phono leads would do it if you want it hard wired
Wi Fi Music. - g3zdm
Some hifi units have a USB port so you could hook up via a USB lead or (assuming the hifi can play MP3s) you could put material onto a USB stick and then plug that into the hifi's USB port.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Wi Fi Music. - Altea Ego
www.sonos.com
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Wi Fi Music. - Stuartli
There are a number of such products including:

tinyurl.com/dr78k (Creative)

tinyurl.com/cos8r and www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4483/3/ (Logitech)

tinyurl.com/bxejv
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Wi Fi Music. - Pugugly {P}
Thanks all, the Logitech seemsto be the one. I will hunt one down to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion. I have hard-wired an iPOD to a sound system which works well, also hard wired a laptop to it. Basically SWMBO likes to listen again to radio programmes we miss when were out working and suspected there must be a way to do it. Amother issue was we have a nice seperates system in the lounge, don't want to change this set up (so an USB connection was out of it) - Saw the Philips machine in Dixons yesterday, didn't suit our needs. The Sono stuff was a bit pricey for what we needed.
Wi Fi Music. - sierraman
I use the listen again facility and have a cable running from the soundcard through to the amp in the living room.With two sets of speakers plus the computer speakers the whole ground floor is covered.cost was about £15 for cable and plugs.
Wi Fi Music. - Brill {P}
If you're using an iPod, or listening on a computer using (say) BBC radio 'listen again', this is probably what you need...

www.apple.com/airportexpress/
Yahoo Toolbar - drbe
How do I get rid of the Yahoo Toolbar?

I have got too much clutter on my hard drive and I have been removing programs which are either superflous or conflict with other programs, but I cannot remove Yahoo Toolbar - I have gone to Control Panel - Add/remove programs, but Yahoo Toolbar won't go away!

When I click on it, there is no size shown, when I click on Change/remove the box "are you sure etc" comes up but it still won't go.

Should I worry or stop worrying?
Yahoo Toolbar - redviper

Try

www.pcanswers.co.uk

Someone will be able to help

have you checked for Spyware/adware (malware) if not use spybot search and destroy, (i think that will remove the Toolbar for you) and Adaware (run both, one after the other, and make sure they are updated 1st) Both prorgams are V usefull and free.
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Yahoo Toolbar - drbe
Try
www.pcanswers.co.uk
Someone will be able to help
have you checked for Spyware/adware (malware) if not use spybot search
and destroy, (i think that will remove the Toolbar for you)
and Adaware (run both, one after the other, and make sure
they are updated 1st) Both prorgams are V usefull and free.
--

Thanks for that I will give it a whirl.

I used to have a 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier - it served me very well.
Yahoo Toolbar - redviper
"I used to have a 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier - it served me very well."

Ah yes mine did too, bought a 84k miles sold it at 128k miles with only a few minor problems it effortlessly did a 120 mile round trip every weekend and 150 miles throughout the week
--
Yahoo Toolbar - Stuartli
Yahoo Toolbar

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303047

I don't use Yahoo Toobar but found this as well:

To completely remove: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove>choose Yahoo Messenger/Toolbar>Remove (which would seem more logical!...)
What's for you won't pass you by
Yahoo Toolbar - drbe
I don't use Yahoo Toobar but found this as well:
To completely remove: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove>choose Yahoo Messenger/Toolbar>Remove (which would seem more logical!...)

Thanks Stuartli, I have followed the Control Panel route - see my earlier post - but, it won't jolly well go!
Yahoo Toolbar - Dalglish
Thanks Stuartli, I have followed the Control Panel route

>>

have you tried the other solution stuartli gave - microsoft link:
support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303047
or
help.yahoo.com/help/us/toolbar/index.html

or for other options, see my reply further below to the question re. yahoo-bt i.e. browser problems.

Availability of Broadband - Paul Robinson
Our youngest will be leaving home in the summer and with the prospect of it being just the two of us we are thinking of moving somewhere rural and remote. However I wouldn't want to be without broadband, so I'd be interested to have comments about availability and broadband in reality in rural areas TIA
Availability of Broadband - Pugugly {P}
We holiday in North Wales in Snowdonia. Pleased to announce despite the rural aspect we pull in 2mb at our "other place". Postcode check via the BT website will resolve.
Availability of Broadband - harry m
almost all the exchanges are broadband enabled what you have to be careful of is how far you are away from the local exchange.as a bt engineer i know the effects of what the cable serving your area can have on the service,ask a few locals when you pinpoint an area you like.you may not get super fast broadband but most places get 1 meg.what will trip you up is if your a fair distance from local exchange and the cable that feeds the area has part or all aliminum.
Availability of Broadband - Stuartli
Key in your postcode or address (if you know where you plan to move) using this BT facility and you will quickly know if you can get broadband, even if it's only at the slower speeds:

www.bt.com/broadband/

Still quicker than dialup...:-)
Availability of Broadband - Welliesorter
Key in your postcode or address (if you know where you
plan to move) using this BT facility...

One thing to be aware of is that the availability checker is less accurate if you enter a postcode. If you enter the phone number, the result is based on an actual line test. You'll find many internet forums containing questions along the lines of 'Why is my connection not as fast as my neighbour's?'.
Internet error message - mostyn
I?ve recently bought a computer for the first time. Its all set up at home ,with BT broadband installed. Its not the most powerful computer but good enough for what we need. Generally it works fine but occasionally error notices are appearing when the internet is connected. The main error notice contains the following,
Error Signature
Sz Appearance. Ybrowser.exe

SzAppVer 2005.8.12.5

SzModName. Hungapp

I was just wondering if any one knows what the above means and if I should be concerned by it. I have Norton 2005 running with the Microsoft updates installed.
As you have probably guessed I am something of a novice to the home computer game.
Thanks
Internet error message - Stuartli
They don't appear to be viruses or Trojans via a quick search - in fact Sz Appearance seems to be concerned with an Alfa Romeo...

Run a Norton anti-virus scan initially after updating it.

There are other security measures you can take and which were listed in the previous volume of this thread.
Internet error message - Altea Ego
ybrowser.exe is a component of the the Yahoo toolbar attached to your internet explorer.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I've googled it.Not quite sure if its a problem with the yahoo bt browser or if its a virus,trojan etc.
Any advice would be more than appreciated.
Internet error message - Altea Ego
its a problem with the browser.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Do you mean that its a BT problem or that some of the software on my computer is conflicting with the yahoo browser?I can't say that I'm very keen on this browser though Come back the standard IE that I am used to.
>>I can't say that I'm very keen on this browser though>>

If you look earlier in the thread you'll find some advice about (hopefully) removing the Yahoo toolbar.

These things are all very well but are basically there to serve the interests of Yahoo, Google or whichever one in use. They also take up valuable "estate" on your display.

Internet error message - Dalglish
... Come back the standard IE that I am used to ....

>>

mostyn - your wish is granted, but at your own risk. you may want someone pc-literate to help you as registry tweaks are not to be undertaken lightly.

the answers to your prayers are at:

windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm

in particular, see nos. 9, 12, 13, 14, and 19.

but a simpler option for you may be to move over to mozilla-firefox. i am surprised that firefox proponents on this forum have not yet suggested it to you.

>>i am surprised that firefox proponents..>>

I did consider it, but thought someone would think "Oh no, not again..."....:-)

The same for Thunderbird.
Internet error message - Phil I
>I did consider it, but thought someone would think "Oh no, not >again..."....:-)

Me too. (it is the answer to his problems tho,)

Happy Browsing Phil I
Internet error message - Dalglish
Me too. (it is the answer to his problems tho,)

>>

stuartli & phil-i : are you men or mice ?

It's all very quiet on the musical front...:-)

Opera...
Internet error message - Phil I
Tried the new version but still had difficulty with the chorus.
Use Navigator/Messenger occasionally just for old times sake. Waiting for SeaMonkey at the moment.

Phil I
Two hard drives, not RAID - cheddar
Been thinking about this though have not yet figured it out, can I automatically save a copy of every document created to each of two internal SATA hard drives, OS = XP Pro.

Thanks.
Two hard drives, not RAID - Phil I
Maybe I am a bit thick cheeseman but I will be nosy and ask "what do you need two copies for?" Bit over the top I would have thought.

Phil I
Back up.

If one h/d fails the other contains duplicate docs. This is the principal of a RAID system though the h/ds are not in a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Discs) configuration. There are software RAID apps avialiable though I wonder if Windows of the Office apps can be set to save to two locations simultaneously.
>>Windows of the Office>>

'or' not 'of.
Two hard drives, not RAID - JH
Smokie,
sorry to be pedantic but "Redundant Array of INEXPENSIVE" Disks" as the the things that preceeded them were monsters that cost tens of thousands.

Also RAID is not purely for back up, it may be for performance and give no "second copy" (I won't say backup) capability at all so be sure you have the flavour of RAID you need. And if RAID is not set up then I'm afraid you'll have to wipe your system to set it up.

Why not just buy some good backup software and get it to copy to your second disk on a schedule? This month's PC Pro has a comparison of backup software. You might even be able to do what you need with Windows Backup as it's disk to disk.

John

sorry to be pedantic but "Redundant Array of INEXPENSIVE" Disks" as the the things that preceeded them were monsters that cost tens of thousands.

Both 'Redundant Array of Independent Discs' or 'Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs' are official meanings, try Googling.

Two hard drives, not RAID - Altea Ego
I dont want to be double pendantic, but you are both wrong. RAID is not designed for backup, or performance (tho that can be a by product depending on the method you use) but for RESILIENCE and HIGH AVAILABILITY
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I dont want to be double pendantic, but you are both
wrong. RAID is not designed for backup, or performance (tho that
can be a by product depending on the method you use)
but for RESILIENCE and HIGH AVAILABILITY>>

Both wrong?, well the definitions of RAID given by JH and myself are recognised, and back up is a key application of a RAID system.
Backup? Nah.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
From webopedia.com

"RAID Short for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks, a category of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.
There are number of different RAID levels:

Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.
Level 2 -- Error-Correcting Coding: Not a typical implementation and rarely used, Level 2 stripes data at the bit level rather than the block level.
Level 3 -- Bit-Interleaved Parity: Provides byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk. Level 3, which cannot service simultaneous multiple requests, also is rarely used.
Level 4 -- Dedicated Parity Drive: A commonly used implementation of RAID, Level 4 provides block-level striping (like Level 0) with a parity disk. If a data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk. A disadvantage to Level 4 is that the parity disk can create write bottlenecks.
Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID.
Level 6 -- Independent Data Disks with Double Parity: Provides block-level striping with parity data distributed across all disks.
Level 0 1 ? A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.
Level 10 ? A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels, multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over these.
Level 7: A trademark of Storage Computer Corporation that adds caching to Levels 3 or 4.
RAID S: EMC Corporation's proprietary striped parity RAID system used in its Symmetrix storage systems."
Cheddar

That IS NOT BACKUP. That is RESLIENCE not Recovery. If your data is screwed and copied to the parity disk you reciber screwed data..

Sorry - try again, ;)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Touche RF, er TVM ;-),

Yes IF your data is screwed etc however, quote, "If a data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk" i.e. if the data is not screwed though one h/d is screwed the data is still recoverable from the non screwed h/d.

To put this into context I want to be able to save data to two non RAID h/ds so that in the event of one h/d failing I have a duplicate of that data, backup not recovery.

Regards.
you need to set up "mirroring" I shall let you search google and work it out for yourself ;)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes, yes I know RF!

Though for my humble requirement I wonder if any of the Office suite applications can save to two locations simultaneously.
you could turn on autorecovery and change the file location of such to another drive? Tools/options/file locations
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Now that sounds like a good idea, will a copy be saved of every doc? Will it not also save docs that are being edited though have not been saved?

I will try it.
How about 'Tools>Options>Save>Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives'.

Would this work if I selected the other h/d as the storage and made a copy on the one running the application?
Two hard drives, not RAID - smokie
Someone owned up to being pedantic regarding the meaning of RAID earlier and mentioned me by name, I haven't been in this thread yet :-)

Anyway, I'm with TVM (I think). I can't imagine why you you would want to have two writes going on, screw one and the other is screwed. If you want to delete a file, you have to do it twice. If a file is screwed then both are screwed.

The scheduled backup is a much more sane solution, using a simple backup cycle. For instance for my music I do a weekly incremental then a monthly full, and occassionally write the full backup to something else (backup is about 40Gb). So when I discover that a track is somehow corrupted (can't explain why, but they very occassionally seem to do it) I have a choice of backups to take them from.
>>
Anyway, I'm with TVM (I think). I can't imagine why you
you would want to have two writes going on, screw one
and the other is screwed. >>

My interest is backing up Word, Excel, jpg and Outlook .pst files, these are all very unlikely to become screwed so a simple double save onto to seperate internal h/ds enables a backup in the event of hardware failure, I have done this before with Word docs on to an external 250mb Zip running as a harddrive however it clearly has little capacity when it comes to image files.

Interstingly it easy to work this way if saving to an external networked drive simply by selecting 'save a local copy' though not so if both drive are local.

I have also come across a problem when it comes to regularly accessed and amended files, i.e. spreadsheets, and syncronising both copies, I am sure it is not insurmountable though perhaps as you suggest a scheduled backup is the way to go.

Re-coding DVDs - Robbie
I was given some DVDs which had been downloaded and they will play right through on my PC but will only play part way through on my DVD player - the player will play almost any format.

I am now recoding one of these using WinAVI, but it has been running since 9.00pm last night and only seems to be half completed. Is this normal for this program? Does anyone have any suggestions using alternative software to reduce the time taken?
Re-coding DVDs - kennybase
Recoding DVDs can take a long time - I remember a few years ago it could take over 24 hours to complete! All depends on processor power and memory I think.

Re-coding DVDs - Robbie
Recoding DVDs can take a long time - I remember a
few years ago it could take over 24 hours to complete!
All depends on processor power and memory I think.

You can say that again, it's still running.

I have a new PC with 3.4ghz Pentium 4 processor and 1gb of ram.
User Interface failure message - rory
Afternoon all; got an issue you may be able to help explain the cause of, plus some info to share as to how I got around it

I have a new dell Dimension 9500 with XP Media and dual Pentium thingy

Started to load on my old software ( unfortunately, should have put on GoBack first.. ) and when I put on Roxio DVD writer and went to register it the screen froze. Usual stuff didnt work and I had to do a re-start. Normal windows start-up: black screen with Windows XP logo and horizontal scrolling bar.

Then, on black screen, 3 boxes, one after the other, box headers =
Winlogon.exe Bad Image
Services.exe Bad Image
Sass.exe Bad Imageinside each message box, message is:
The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against you installation diskette OK

pressing ok brings up a final, smaller box. Box header say:
User Interface Failure
inside message box, message is:
The Logon User Interface DLLmsgima.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL
Restart

pressing re-start ( which is the only option other than powering off the system ) causes the above sequence of events to repeat itself. ( I don?t have a floppy drive and haven?t a scooby how to create a boot floppy )

Pressing F8 during start sequence allows various options ( 9 in all ) ranging from safe mode; safe mode with networking, start windows normally, reboot, debugging mode etc etc all result in the same sequence as above.

Starting the machine with either of the 2 supplied cds makes no difference

The I recalled Dell has a re-set, to set it to ex-factory condition ( Ctrl & F12 ? or was it F11 ? ) which worked a treat; life saved.

I suspect, but dont know, loading on Roxio caused a major registry problem because of the existence of a pre-loaded Dell-provided dvd writer. Any thoughts on this ?

Other than loading Ghost & G-Back, and avoiding introducing anything else like Roxio is there any thing else I should be very afraid of ?

Many many thanks in anticipation
User Interface failure message - Victorbox
I don't think older versions of Go Back are capatible with Win XP anyway. I would set a new Restore Point just before you install something - Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Once you are happy the new software is working OK, set another Restore Point & install the next item. Perhaps avoid Roxio - perhaps use Nero 7 instead.
User Interface failure message - Altea Ego
Avoid that roxio like the plague.............

This the first time you have put this version on XP? There was a version that roxio sent out that DESTROYED gazzillions of pcs......
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
User Interface failure message - Victorbox
Also I was a bit concerned about your reference to Sass.exe. A quick Google for "sass.exe" indicated it may be a virus. Even if this is new PC & fully patched up to Service Pack 2 by the manufacturer, I would ensure the XP firewall is switched on & head for the MS Windows Update website & fully patch the PC before installing anything from third party software suppliers.
User Interface failure message - rory
Morning. I've abandoned roxio,ensured that the pre-installed MacAfee is running & updated and have auto updates runnning for Windows. I'll visit the site nonetheless. I've also put on very latest GoBack ( 4.02 )and Ghost( v10 ). The suggestion about restore points was well taken. Regards and thanks to all.
Turning casettes into MP3 - Archie35
Good evening!

I have a fair number of books recorded on music-casettes, and want to convert them to MP3 (or WMA perhaps). My computer (athlon 2000, 512 MB, running XP SP2) does not have a sound-card, rather on-board sound with a line-in and microphone socket. How easy would it be to connect a tape player headset socket to the line in, play the casettes and record them as MP3? Would I need extra hardware or software?

I am considering an alternative way - there are some MP3 players out there with line in and recording capability. I am going to buy a new MP3 player anyway, though the ones with this capability are a bit more expensive than some alternatives. Does anyone know if this is likely to be easier or cheaper (than buying a computer soundcard if that is needed)overall?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
\"Archie\"
Turning casettes into MP3 - Civic8
On board soundcard should be fine,have used this method on my pc to record from tape recorder,then converted to mp3..but used easy cd creator 8 as software to do it,without any problems
--
Steve
Turning casettes into MP3 - JH
Archie,
XP has a sound recorder. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Sound Recorder. Or there are plenty of good (and free) ones.

I'd recommend recording to your pc to create your permanent copy, then copy to your MP3 player. Speech should sound fine encoded in MP3, especially if it's coming from a cassette deck.

Be warned - it's s l o w.
John
Turning casettes into MP3 - Civic8
>>Be warned - it's s l o w.
John
Only bit thats slow is the recording process,once recorded conversion to another format is pretty fast,as with burning to cd/copying to mp3 player
--
Steve
Turning casettes into MP3 - JH
Steve,
absolutely, but all of my vinyl is now on disk and believe me, it took a very long time.
John
Turning casettes into MP3 - Stuartli
See Section 3-12 at:

www.cdrfaq.org

a website that deals with anything and everything to do with CD optical disks, hardware and software in the form of hundreds hundreds of articles.
Turning casettes into MP3 - Archie35
Thanks for those comments, and the link. The link rather implies that I would need a proper sound card, rather than on-board sound. I guess I'll have to play around first and see if it works!

Thanks again.
\"Archie\"
Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - SjB {P}
With some help from a Java savvy colleague, some time ago I saved a shortcut in my Windows Taskbar that contained the following URL:

javascript:document.location='http://the.URL.goes.here?SEARCH=Y&SEQUEN
CE_ID='+escape(prompt('Enter%20Sequence%20ID:',''))

When selected, a new Internet Explorer window opened, overlaid on which was a single field pop-up box. As can be deduced from the syntax shown above, this box contained a single field called "Enter Sequence ID". When this information was entered and Return selected, a query would be performed against the URL supplied and the appropriate record returned in the IE session.

Nice and easy, as well as quicker to use than manually opening Favourites each time.

Since upgrading from XP SP1 to SP2 however, this little script has ceased to work; what appears to be the new IE session appears for a split second before disappearing. Nothing else happens other than an error bleep.

The SP2 pop-up blocker is switched off, and invoking or revoking Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Use Java V2 1.4.1 makes no difference (after a restart).

When the javascript is manually cut and pasted in to the address field of an IE window that's already open, it works fine.

Other pointers, please?

TVM.
Mods; please can you edit the URL I referred to above to look like this:

javascript:document.location='h_t_t_p://the.URL.goes.here?SEARCH=Y&SEQ
UENCE_ID='+escape(prompt('Enter%20Sequence%20ID:',''))

Hopefully this will stop the http being interpreted by forum software as well as remove the unwanted line feed (which I didn't enter) that happens in the middle of "sequence_id"

Ta!
Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - Altea Ego
Re install java, you are a bit back level - I am on 1.4.2_06
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - Stuartli
I'm on 1.5.0_06.

You can test Java Sun at:

java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

and Javascript at:

tinyurl.com/agg7a (should hopefully come up as supporting 1.3)
Many thanks TVM and Stuartli; I followed the Java Sun link and got confirmation that I'm running JVM 1.4.1. This tallies with what the IBM Java Console tells me I'm running.

The Javascript test link indeed confirms "Your browser supports JavaScript version 1.3"

Before I upgrade JVM however, I noticed that the readme file for 1.4.2 implicity excludes XP Pro SP2, which surprised me: java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-windows.html

Before I download 1.4.2 from java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html I would therefore appreciate your comment, please.

Cheers.

Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - Stuartli
>>I would therefore appreciate your comment, please.>>

Download 1.5.0_06 for XP at:

java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp

It has an update facility which you can configure. The update link is:

www.java.com/en/download/help/5000020700.xml

Thanks, Stuartli. 1.5.0_06 for XP now installed successfully, enabled, and verified as working correctly according to the online check at Java.com. Auto update also enabled for future benefit.

Unfortunately though I still have the symptoms originally reported, even after a reboot, so perhaps JVM version wasn't the reason; nice try, thanks TVM, but I'm still open to ideas why with SP2 the Javascript works when cut and pasted as a URL but not from the URL field in a shortcut, even though it used to with SP1.
Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - Dalglish
even though it used to with SP1.

>>

a shot in the dark - the key differences between sp1 and sp2 are in the default "securtiy" & "advanced" settings (tabs from ie6 tools menu) and in "administrative tools". i would hazard a guess that if you lower the security settings to "low" or "medium-low", it just might solve your problem.

Problem now solved by writing an HTML script with the java embedded in it and calling this script from the toolbar shortcut.

Thanks for suggestions along the way.
Javascript in IE with XP SP2 - Baskerville
In a spirit of "faint heart never won fair lady" I'm going to suggest the F-word. Firefox handles Favourites a lot more pleasantly than IE, though it calls them Bookmarks, and will do it a lot more smoothly than this workaround. Once you have the BBC News and a bunch of others on an RSS feeds on your browser toolbar you'll never do anything else ever again. Paid work? Forget it.

I believe IE7 will do RSS when it comes out. Ah, bless.
Firefox is not an option, thanks.
It's a work laptop and IE6 is the only allowed browser.
GPS on HP rz1710 PDA - BobbyG
My pal got the above for xmas and it has Via Michelin navigation on it. He has gone to New York on hol and left me it to "play with".

Simple question is how do I get the GPS to work on it? I can go in and do a route etc but when I go into Settings and GPS, although it says GPS activated, it is showing no "reception".

How do I fix this, I am sure it must be something very simple as my friend gets it to work and he is even more computer illiterate than me!
GPS on HP rz1710 PDA - Adam {P}
Bobby,

No idea as to the system and I've never used it before but how long are you waiting for it to get a lock? Mine, from cold can take up to 5 minutes in really remote locations.
Adam, its been switched on for a couple of hours now!
Fair enough!
Adam, one of the icons I can press is "GPS"
Within this I have 3 boxes
GPS Activated
Port (select 0 to 9)
Speed in baud (select 1200,2400,4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200)

Not sure what any of this means!!
Bobby,

I'm afraid my knowledge of Sat Nav is limited to my own. RF and others are quite knowledgable in this kind of thing so you may be best waiting for them.

For what it's worth, I would have expected the settings to have remained the same so if I were you, I wouldn't change any bar the GPS Activation one.

Good luck.
Ignore this guys - I just discovered that it needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter to work.

So the first thing I have learned - it only works in cars!
Here's a thought. Have you tried plugging it in the cigarette lighter? I hear some only work when powered by this method.
Mitac Mio - Battery Time - helicopter
Any idea how long to charge the battery on this and how long the battery lasts on normal power please ? Otherwhise badged as Navman.

I bought one off Ebay on Sunday with AA Navigator GPS and all the usual attachments. It was an unwanted gift going cheap and worked fine yesterday when I got it , it is virtually unused.

Anyway , I played happily with it yesterday on both GPS and PDA functions but I feel I may have overused it.I had it mains charging last night but although it is showing as green for charged it is running very slow to stop today.

Any advice appreciated.

Its the Mio 168 by the way.

Mitac Mio - Battery Time - PhilW
"although it is showing as green for charged it is running very slow to stop today"
Doubt it is your battery - green does mean it is charged. Might it be because you have too many programs running at the same time? To check, go to Start, then "settings", then "system" at bottom of screen, then "memory", then "running programs". You can then "stop" those you are not using at the time.
Mind you, even when I have several programs open it still seems to operate at the same speed,. Which of your programs (satnav?) is operating slowly? Is it not picking up sats quickly? There is a firmware upgrade available which seems to increase the sensitivity of the GPS receiver - I did it on my Navman PiN 300 (Mio 168 rebadged)and now get 8 or 9 sats showing whereas before I was lucky if I got 3.
Some helpful websites with v. knowledgable people.
www.expansys.com/forum.asp?code=113072

www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=v...3

www.totalpda.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=7d1722...7
Hope this helps

--
Phil
Mitac Mio - Battery Time - helicopter
Phil - Thanks for your assistance and advice .

I eventually managed to cure the problem by doing a soft reset and everything appears to be back to normal speed.
Audio file types on Limewire - m4a - andymc {P}
I use Limewire to download music occasionally and am always careful to check the file type before doing so, in order to avoid downloading a virus or other nasty. Usually, when doing an audio search the results come back as either mp3 or wma, meaning they should be genuine audio files. Today, the only version I found of a track was an m4a. Is this a genuine type of audio file, or should I avoid downloading it?
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Audio file types on Limewire - m4a - Stuartli
It is a genuine file. This Google link will lead you to many examples of how to listen to it or to convert it as required:

tinyurl.com/afjfw

Audio file types on Limewire - m4a - andymc {P}
Cheers Stuartli, playing it now on iTunes! Thanks for the quick reply.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
"Windows - No Disk" message. - henry k
How can I get rid of this " Windows - No Disk" box that pops up most times I start up.

It includes " There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into the drive"
followed by Cancel, Try again, Continue.

Hitting cancel a few times makes it go away but I would prefer to not to see it.

It seemed to start after a house guest used the PC and has been happening for months.
I have tried using the A: drive in case it encouraged / fooled it into resetting anything but no joy.

Running XP Pro on a 5 year old PC.
"Windows - No Disk" message. - smokie
House guest may have installed something from A: drive (or which requires data from A: drive) at startup. Boot machine into Safe Mode (which bypasses startup) and make sure you don't get the message there.

Assuming you don't get the message in Safe Mode, run MSCONFIG from the Run screen then look at the Startup tab. Unless you know your machine intimately there will be stuff there that you don't recognise - but look under the Command column and there may be something which refers to a:. If not, it's just trial and error in unticking the boxes and see if one of them makes it go away.
"Windows - No Disk" message. - Citroënian {P}
I've also seen this as with something installed using the CD/DVD drive so check for those too.

hth
--Lee .. Welcome to Anytown USA
"Windows - No Disk" message. - borasport20
Henry - I had the same problem last year - it can be really irritating.

I did eventually get rid of it, but it involved hacking the registry, and I don't think I've kept the details. If you feel happy to make registry changes, I'll try and find it for you.

Mike

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
"Windows - No Disk" message - Stuartli
Have you checked out the AutoPlay configuration?

Microsoft offers an AutoPlay Repair Wizard download at:

tinyurl.com/5s4x7 or tinyurl.com/4w8jq

or try the wonderful Kelly's Korner tweaks and tips at:

tinyurl.com/687f

She's a very clever lass is Kelly and writes some of the support pages advice for the Microsoft.com website.

PS

Another simple solution is to refuse to allow anyone else to use your system - it's my policy with just one exception. That's my son, an IT support specialist who works for one of the biggest employers in the UK.
"Windows - No Disk" message - henry k
Thanks for suggestions.
I will gently try out your ideas.