MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Simon
I just wanted to voice my opinion and see what everyone else thinks about the new rules concerning the new style computerised MOT for cars.

I have just had a car MOT'd at my local garage which I have used regualarly for the last few years and it failed on pitted front brake discs. The car in question belongs to a member of my family and only does around 1000 miles per year It is on a 1988 F plate, so it has seen almost 18 years service even though it has a genuine mileage of 56000 miles.

I did a few bits and pieces before taking the vehicle for MOT, items that I knew would fail but I didn't consider the brake discs to be in too bad of a condition. Anyway in all fairness the tester failed the car on the front discs being pitted, which is up to him to judge how pitted they can be before a failure certificate is issued - I haven't got a problem with this. The discs have only been on the car for 10000 miles and were changed for the same reason 6 years ago. Basically speaking it is the lack of use of the car which allows the discs to corrode before they can even think about wearing out.

My problem stems from the fact that it was impossible for me to pick the car up at teatime, strip the brakes in the evening in order to match the pads at a motor factors (there were three different types of pads listed for this model) and have it back at the MOT station the next day for a retest. In the 'olden days' it was always acceptable to take your car away, do the work and have it back a few days later for a free retest. Now with the new computerised MOT system if you take your car away and don't have it back within 24hrs, you must have another full test charged at the appropriate rate.

Now before you say that I could have left the car at the garage and let them do the work, you are right I could have done. But I am doing the work for a relative and keeping costs down on a car that does so little mileage is a large factor. But it would seem that I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. Whichever way I choose to do the work/have it done I am going to lose out financially, either being charged by the garage for their labour or being charged by the garage for another full MOT.

So I feel agrieved about this situation, it is the people who can't afford/choose to run older cars that are being penalised by this new MOT system. Suddenly overnight the MOT fee has 'doubled'. And before you say well you should maintain your car better, the car is mainted perfectly, it failed on an item of which its condition is at the descretion of the MOT tester. If we all replaced every single item that 'could' fail, we would spend a fortune on unneccesary parts.

So what do you think to this new system?
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Happy Blue!
You are right, except I reckon the government are trying to reduce the number of cars on the road, by making it prohibitively expensive to keep older ones running 'safely'. It basically means that there are two classes of people involved.

Firstly, elderly people like your relative and my mother who do short local trips because otherwise they would lose their independence and probably never leave the house. Fortunately we can afford to keep my mother driving her 1,000miles pa in her Suzuki, but obviously others cannot.

Secondly are yoof, who will drive without MoT or insurance or tax, if they can find a reason to do so.

Surely it is better to keep older cars on the road, than producing new cars all the time. Economies may falter a little, but there will alwasy be demand for parts and service items with older cars. Look at the new bodies for the MGB.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Lud
Used to be a fortnight I seem to remember. Of course it's a ripoff. Part of a general tendency these days to discourage doing it yourself or any sort of low-budget motoring (like closing all the breakers' yards under the pretext that they were unhealthy): the motorist who isn't rich suffers, the industry, aftermarket included, profits. How soon will they pass a law that anyone changing their own brake pads will have to have the work certified by a 'qualified person' making the diy job cost more than getting a garage to do it? It's already like that with gas appliances and electrical work in the home. Scandalous in my far from humble opinion, everyone buried under a mass of expensive regulation and at the mercy of jumped-up labourers...
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - adverse camber
Well, its still to some extent at the discretion of the tester.

My volvo failed on a worn drop link, got a free retest 2 days later (and only paid £30 for the mot in the first place) - OK that rate isnt available to the public, but the place in question does a retest for £20 normally
I don't mean the people who have done my MoTs for years, who are very cool and informative and not above e.g. taking a screwdriver to the carb to get the emissions down or letting a slight exhaust leak by with a word of warning. That said, we all know there are lots of tooth-sucking villains out there who routinely pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting and uninformed motorists, and as for today's so-called gas fitters, you can only hold your nose and try to kkeep the mout of the house...
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Dalglish
So what do you think to this new system?

>>

it is a licence to print money. and make motoring only for the rich and those who drive employer-paid cars. ( includes the ministers and top civil servants )

until the politicians experience this themselves, there is no chance of it getting better. unless you get the masses protesting in the fashion of the "poll-tax" riots.

the solution is: emigrate and join "the growler" in his paradise.

MOT Retest Rip-off??? - vum
My first post on this forum.
I own and run an MOT station and would like to put forward the reasons that the retest charges in fact have not changed.

Most MOT stations before computerization bent the rules by just checking the work had been done and issuing a pass certificate

The rules have always stated that a full retest must be carried out except when failed on various electrical items, emmissions, tyres etc.

When we start an MOT or retest we log on to the system and the test is timed, in fact the ministry man could be round the corner with his laptop connected to his mobile watching us log on. So a retest should take 35-45 mins and that is 35-45 mins that someone has to pay for.

However I do agree that the full retest rule needs to be looked at and changed.

Unfortunatly a freebie that was given to you by the test station has been taken away, think how kind your test station has been in the passed when it was within its rights to charge for most retests !
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Aprilia
Best to get facts straight on this before ranting about it.

The Government (who we like to blame for everything) don't actually set the cost of the MoT. Nor do they specify how long a 'free restest' should be offered for. That is entirely up to the garage. There is a garage near me offering a free retest for up to 14 days, and I am sure there are others in the coutry doing just the same. The cost of the test/retest is set by the VTS up to the maximum set by the DoT. The '24 hour rule' is simply to allow repairs to be done and the vehicle issued with a pass without having to run through the whole test - it is not a 'free retest' as such. This is basically the same rule that has applied for years (VTS's where never supposed to issue pass certificate, days later, without properly and fully re-testing the car - but many did).
Basically the system has not changed massively, it is just that IT is being used to monitor what is going on and stamp out dodgy practice. Some garages, obviously, are using the system as an oportunity to increase revenue - but bear in mind its 45mins labour for about £44 to the public, with a certificated skilled tester and some costly equipment (plus services of an assistant for part of the test) - not a bad rate (just try asking your local VW, BMW dealer etc etc to do some work at that rate - it wouldn't even buy the spotty youth who does the £150 oil changes for you!).
I don't regard running a VTS as a licence to print money - when your tech can earn you more doing basic servicing. In fact the main reason to offer MoT's would probably to draw in repair work.
You just beat me to it "vum". Agree with what you say though...
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - desmrics
You should come to Northern Ireland where the MoT is run by an Agency! My wife's Passat failed on headlamp adjustment (too low) Saturday week ago and it was an automatic retest which took approx 1 min and cost 18 quid. I looked over the tester's shoulder and on an A4 page counted about 10-12 out of 40 failed on headlamps. Quite an earner for the Agency who have to pay their way.
to paraphrase mandy rice-davies: you would say that, wouldn't you?

a garage which for 20 years used to do two tests per hour will now only book in one. it used to charge a low fee, now it charges the maximum. it used to rely on being asked by a proportion of owners to repair faults, and was happy for others to diy; now it tries to discourage diy. it used to mention minor things as advisory, now it errs on the fails side and seeks work for its mechanics. it used to be totlally honest. now it finds minute previously unseen faults - e.g.
1. says cv gaiter on verge of splitting, quoting £20 to fix it in situ, then claiiming that the cv joint is seized and needs replacing and since the work is in progress, it will cost another £80 to finish off.

2. says the emissions need a little tweaking - for £10 we can do it here and now.

3. the headlight beam is slighlty off the "optimum setting", for £10 we can do it while the beam tester is lined up.

etc. etc. all these are "tricks" they now use to inflate their maximum allowed mot charge.

MOT Retest Rip-off??? - smokie
I don't believe anything there is new Dalglish.

Moral of dealing with anyone, car mechanics etc included, is to find one you can trust. Back in the "bad old days" I found one that I could trust to *always* pass my car ;-)

I thought I'd read that the new test requires a certain time per car, which is checkable somehow from the computer record, so that isn't the fault of the garage.
to paraphrase mandy rice-davies: you would say that, wouldn't you?

Complete load of rubbish. There were, and still are, a few dodgy garages and the introduction of computerisation doesn't change that. Most VTS's are as straight as is possible to be within a system that allows for some subjectivity (e.g. wear in bushes, ball joints etc.) The MoT system is tightly policed and penalties for infringement of regulations are severe. Its not a perfect system, but its pretty damn good and keeps a lot of death traps off the road. Much improved from 20 years ago, and a good thing I say.
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Navara Van man
I have little sympathy in those trying to get only an mot. My vehicles are serviced at the time of the mot therfore all work needed is sorted and as sutch the vehicle 'always' pases.

The independent garadge I use charges reasnable rates and always advises before hand of anything likely to need doing next time. Whilst some have always been cowboys at the end of the day it is in the intrest to the garadge to make maximum profit and always has been.

Paul
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - rip
I always find the council runs mot stations are neutral, i.e. if it does fail then it genuinely has failed. It charges are also ok, i.e. £30 for original and £15 for retest. I doubt that the test fee has increased dramatically since computerisation as the council are a non-profit making organization not one which aims to please shareholders by ripping off drivers.

My banger (in age sense not in conditional or technological sense) always goes to the council run station for impartiality, not to the local garage who will say 'oh the car is not bad for age but its failed on these items... we can do the repairs for £££!

MOT Retest Rip-off??? - bedfordrl
That is a good point, maybe everyone (except the garages) would be happier if MOTs were done at an independent source and nowhere there was a chance of making work for themselves.
I always take vehicles to local tester I know. He knows me well, but doesn't cut any favours (not worth him losing his job) - he does a thorough test. I always check cars before I take them for the test. I have had only one fail in the last 10 years - that was on a Merc that had a bit of corrosion on a brake pipe. I'd missed it and was grateful to him for spotting it.
If you suspect you've been wrongly failed (or passed!) then you can appeal - 1 month after test on mechanical; 3 months on bodywork. Appeals are taken very seriously and there is definitely no bias in favour of the VTS.
One thing you have to remember that is a lot of car owners won't have a repair done unless the car fails its MoT. Lots of owners will carry on driving with ineffective brakes, knocks, clonks and God knows what wrong.
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - rip
As you said earlier Aprilla the MOT is overall a good system, can we imagine the type of cars on the road if the MOT was not a legal obligation.

We have all seen the cars on the road with no mot, ins and tax, i would not like our roads to be full of these types of cars (re Indian driving- aka heart attack stuff), and the mot does it job well in ridding the roads of dangerous vehicles albeit at sometimes inflated prices as the OP has mentioned
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Chris S
I seem to remeber that garages used to do pre-MOTs for about half the cost of an MOT.

Perhaps these might make a comeback with the new computerised system?
There are still quite a few places that advertise this, and I suspect that many independents will do this for you if you ask (30 mins labour to check the 'vitals'). The lights, wipers, locks, belts, washers, tyres etc etc you should be able to check yourself. Emissions is a more difficult aspect though.
Complete load of rubbish.

>>

i repeat: to paraphrase mandy rice-davies: you would say that, wouldn't you?

the garage i was referring to used to be totally kosher/halal. now feels it has no choice but to "find" work now that it can only do one mot an hour. they are seriously considering closing down the mot test section if after a few months they find that the mot fee plus the "extra work" does not cover their costs.

MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Simon
>>Its not a perfect system, but its pretty damn good and keeps a lot of death traps off the road.

It keeps SOME death traps off the road, but certainly not all. Generally speaking it is the people who take their cars for MOT that are the ones who are willing to maintain them to the required standard.

The real death traps on the UK's roads are the ones that are driven without MOT (and tax/insurance for that matter). You know the ones I mean, they are the ones you read about in your local paper, Mr So&So in the local court for driving without MOT/tax/insurance, who often escapes with a few hundred quid fine.

I think that the changes that have been brought about by the new computerised MOT system are penalising the law abiding motorist again, rather than the ones who don't follow the 'rules' by having driving unregistered cars etc.
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - fossyant
So, are the fees now fixed because of the new computer system, and do all MOT stations have to have the new system ?

I ask this because our local MOT garage just does MOT's - they don't actually fix anything, but charge a good £10-£15 under the approved rate. They have been there years, although it's attached to a show room which sells second hand cars/bikes, but quite often goes out of business, although the guy with the workshop remains !
So, are the fees now fixed because of the new computer
system, and do all MOT stations have to have the new
system ?
I ask this because our local MOT garage just does MOT's
- they don't actually fix anything, but charge a good £10-£15
under the approved rate. They have been there years, although
it's attached to a show room which sells second hand cars/bikes,
but quite often goes out of business, although the guy with
the workshop remains !

A lot depends on local competition. If you are the only VTS in 15 miles then you'll charge the full whack and no free retest.

In the small town I live near there are about 6 testing stations within a minute's drive! So loads of ads in the local free paper, £10 discount and 14 days free retest! I've got one booked for Friday as it happens.
The VTS pays Siemens about £1.50 for each test slot and they get to keep the rest. Because lots of cars are registered new when the 'new' registrations come out there tends to be a glut of owners looking for tests at those two times of the year (and August for older cars). So the stations are busy and no offers. At quiet times (June, July and round Christmas) they tend to come out with the offers. Doing MoT's is not a way to get rich though, its a good way to bring repair work in and most garages will do it honestly. There is usually enough repair work that they don't have to cheat. Bad reputation soon spreads and these places close within a year or so.
>> Complete load of rubbish.
>>
i repeat: to paraphrase mandy rice-davies: you would say that,
wouldn't you?
the garage i was referring to used to be totally kosher/halal.
now feels it has no choice but to "find" work now
that it can only do one mot an hour. they are
seriously considering closing down the mot test section if after a
few months they find that the mot fee plus the "extra
work" does not cover their costs.

What you are saying is that an 'honest' garage has been turned into a 'dishonest' garage by computerisation of the MoT. I really don't believe that.
Sometime around 2000 VOSA did a survey on how long the MoT took to conduct, IIRC the figure came out at around 48 mins. This was broadly agreed with by the trade. It is from this that the 45 min 'allowance' was arrived at - and bear in mind that a few things have been added to the test since 2000. Remember that this is the complete turnaround time for an MoT (i.e. including loading up on to the ramps, up and down, on the roller brake tester and emissions test. If your garage was completing two in an hour then I don't think can have been doing it as thoroughly as they should have.
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - NowWheels
the solution is: emigrate and join "the growler" in his paradise.

OK, have a nice journey :)
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - Beetlefan
Book your M.O.T on a Friday! The rules state that if the car fails the m.o.t it has to be returned by the next working day or a retest fee will be applicable, weekends are not classed as working days so if your car fails on a Friday you have the weekend to repair any faults and return the car to the testing station on a Monday!!
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - martint123
The charges set by VOSA are maximum and the garage can charge what they like up to that cost.
There seems to be a push to try to fixed prices though - ISTR reading in one of the trade mags about one of the trade associations arguing for it.
The charges set by VOSA are maximum and the garage can
charge what they like up to that cost.
There seems to be a push to try to fixed
prices though - ISTR reading in one of the trade mags
about one of the trade associations arguing for it.

That is always being talked about. In some areas it does always seem to be the maximum that is charged, but where there is lots of competition then a few crack and drop the price.
Book your M.O.T on a Friday! The rules state that if
the car fails the m.o.t it has to be returned by
the next working day or a retest fee will be applicable,
weekends are not classed as working days so if your car
fails on a Friday you have the weekend to repair any
faults and return the car to the testing station on a
Monday!!

Spot on. And maybe time it for a Friday before a Bank Holiday monday!
After some of the hysteria in this thread (I think someone proposed emigrating to the Phillipines because UK MoT has been computerised!) I took a look through yesterday's local 'free paper'.

There were 6 ads in the back from garages offering MoT's:

Two were offering 14-day free retest.
One offering MoT at £40 and free retest (didn't say how long after).
One offering £5 off test fee on presentation of ad.
One offering MoT at £30 and 14 days free retest.
One offering MoT at £25 (no mention of retest).

This is a smallish midlands town in semi-rural area.

The place I use wasn't advertised, but he normally does them for me at £5-10 off (depending on how he feels on the day, and the quality of my conversation - I put quite a few through in the course of a year) and he's dead straight, will adjust lights for free etc.
All in all, not too bad I don't think.
MOT Retest Rip-off??? - mare
After some of the hysteria in this thread (I think someone
proposed emigrating to the Phillipines because UK MoT has been computerised!) I took a look through yesterday's local 'free paper'.

I think it's called "resistance to change". A new system or process that means that the already existing rules get enforced causes people to have a fit.

It seems either easy or fashionable (or unimagimative or lazy?)to blame the government for everything, can we change the record please people?

I remember the fuss from posters on here because of the new "your car must be insured at all times" legislation. Of course, you dig deeper and read what is going to happen, and find that it's not all that bad really, and you don't need to insure the steering wheel that you've kept from the Ford Capri you had when you were 21....

Nothing against the Phillipines, but i have a patio heater and cold beer in the fridge and i'm quite happy here ta very much!

Tried twice yesterday to moderate my initial rant, failed owing to careful choice of words causing 10 year time lapse. MoT good up to a point. Most VTSs OK. However my opinion is that there are more than 'a few dodgy garages'. They may not last long but there are always new ones. Also, regulation threatens to make a whole class of budget motorist extinct. Pity, theat.