Running in a new yaris - Jake (uk)
Firstly, apologies if this is covering old ground again:

SWMBO's younger sister has just been bought a new Yaris GLS for her 17th and is currently learning to drive in it.

The car cannot have done more than about 150 miles at the mo. My personal feeling is that it would be best to get the car run-in decently before letting her loose with it, certainly I can't imagine that being run in by 600 miles of low-speed, overly jerky, learner-driver standard driving will be doing the car any favours.

Also, assuming that the car needs running in at all, at what stage should we start to give it some stick ? I know that cars do need to be driven quite hard in the last stages of the run-in to fully loosen the engine up, but what sort of miles should we have on the clock before putting on the lead-lined right boot ?

Finally, the first service is scheduled for 10,000 miles - is this correct ? Surely the car should be taken back for an oil change sooner that this to get rid of the inevitable swarf that will be created by running it in ?

Thanks

Jake
Re: Running in a new yaris - Tony
Just drive it,what ever you do to it wont make the slightest difference.Its a Toyota,nuff said.
Re: Running in a new yaris - Andy
Jake - We've just bought a new Toyota Corolla T-Sport (mainly just to annoy the local greens), and when I asked when they wanted it back for a flush and oil change, they told me that it wasn't necessary. 'Just keep below 4000rpm for the first 1200 miles, and we'll see you after 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is soonest. Amazing.
Re: Running in a new yaris - Jake (uk)
Hmm, incredible advances in technology & machining tolerances, or just a rehashed service schedule to better match todays throwaway consumerist attitudes. Why spend more money on more servicing and preventative care when the average car is only going to be on the road less than 10 years anyway ?

Surely, even with the advances in lubricant technoligies, no oil in the world can prevent a new engine from producing some swarf, which in turn becomes a highly abrasive grit, chasing it's way through the oilways of your nice, shiny new engine...can it ?
Re: Running in a new yaris - Dan J
It is recommended that engine oil is left in the car from new for approx 10000 miles to allow the engine to bed in properly which it won't do if the oil is changed to early in the engine's life.

You are correct though regarding service intervals - they are 20,000 miles on my Vectra!

Dan J
Re: Running in a new yaris - Eleanor
I go running in my husbands Toyota landcruiser every evening, I keep dry when it rains and after 2 circuits (with the seats out of course) feel ready for a shower and glass of wine. Watch out for the gearlever and other obstructions when conering ;-)

Eleanor
Re: Eleanor is joking again - Karl
Very funny Elly. You really are a joke. Is it your day job?