BAS/ESP what is it? - barney100
Warning light on dash with the above, what is it. any one any information.
BAS/ESP what is it? - kennybase
What make of car is it from please?
BAS/ESP what is it? - David Horn
If it's a Mercedes, BAS stands for Brake Assist System and provides additional braking force in emergency situations. ESP is for Electronic Stability Program.

ESP can brake individual wheels or reduce the engine's torque output. They share many components, so are on the same light. Only thing worth checking is that you haven't inadvertently turned it off (there'll probably be a button somewhere), which would presumably turn this light on.
BAS/ESP what is it? - Dynamic Dave
Your car is a Merc C class, if I'm not mistaken?

Anyway,

BAS - Brake Assist?
ESP - Electronic Stability Programme?

What does your handbook say?
BAS/ESP what is it? - Dynamic Dave
A quick google found this:

forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=...h
BAS/ESP what is it? - henry k
A quick google found this:
forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=...h

>>
A very impressive guide to DIY switch swop.
BAS/ESP what is it? - L'escargot
Is it BAS or is it ABS?
--
L\'escargot.
BAS/ESP what is it? - Lud
Allow me to quote myself, on subject of HJ's item about Porsche rear discs having to be replaced owing to corrosion as a result of never being used, but applies here too evidently:

'It is impossible to escape the conclusion that modern cars are more evolved than their drivers.'
BAS/ESP what is it? - Manatee
Assuming it is brake assist, not some alternative TLA for ABS, then it uses a program to decide whether you are emergency braking and takes control of the brake pressure (put very generally, I have no specific knowledge of the MB system, although I think it first appeared on MB cars).

The premise is that many drivers don't brake hard enough soon enough in an emergency, particularly on cars with ABS (all brake assist systems need ABS).

It struck me as probably being error prone, with the possibility of unexpected emergency stops, but having had several cars with 'brake assist' (none MB) I have had no such experiences.

Both ESP and brake assist seem to be fairly common features now - presumably once you have electronic ABS it's not much more than programming.
BAS/ESP what is it? - kithmo
BAS = EBA on Fords, works on how quick you press the pedal.
BAS/ESP what is it? - Leon_vas
BAS = Brake Assist programme
ESP = Electronic Stability Programme

If you see both messeages at the same time on a C Class (W203), suggestion is to have it checked out by the MB dealer as this is a well known issue. I had this warning several times on the computer display (C180K Estate) and the dealer installed a modified wiring harness to correct this issue. I have also heard of some owners changing the brake light switch - but results seems to vary. If the car is under warranty, this should not cost anything.
BAS/ESP what is it? - pd
Although ESP uses ABS sensors there is a bit more to it than programming. You need yaw sensors and sensors on things like accelerators, steering angle, gears etc. so the car can work out where the driver is trying to point it and whether it is doing so.

According to figures from various German bodies (where ESP is most commonly fitted) early results indicate an ESP equipped car is about 30% less likely to be involved in an accident.
BAS/ESP what is it? - Manatee
Although ESP uses ABS sensors there is a bit more to
it than programming. You need yaw sensors and sensors on things
like accelerators, steering angle, gears etc. so the car can work
out where the driver is trying to point it and whether
it is doing so.

Yes, I was a bit quick off the mark there, should have given it a bit more thought! Not sure how authoritative the link below is, but interesting.

www.whnet.com/4x4/esp.html