Rover 220 Coupe (1995) - Spanner
A friend has just had a replacement engine fitted in his 1995 Rover 220 Coupe (NON turbo) but cannot get it to fire up and run. The engine is in working order and saw it running before fitment but after being installed, it will crank over but not fire. The ignition coil has been checked and is okay with 12 volts supply and correct resistance on primary/secondary but there is no HT output as the coil doesn't appear to be being switched. I gather that this engine has a crank position sensor but am not sure where it is located as I know that some engines use a sensor in distributor to tell ECU the firing TDC position.
Anyone out there experienced similar problems on this model or anything else that could cause non-starting? (The immobiliser is also working correctly).

Andrew
ROVER 220 COUPE (1995) - Armitage Shanks {p}
From what you say, the car must be at whatever location the engine was fitted? Talk to the people who fitted I'd say; the car can't be driven the job is not finished and I hope no money has changed hands!
ROVER 220 COUPE (1995) - Screwloose
Spanner

What did this engine come out of? Any possibility of component incompatibility?

Does the fuel pump prime for a few seconds when you switch it on? If this one has still got the inertia switch mounted on the bulkhead, has anyone knocked it...?

Also have a thorough check for mis-connected plugs - particularly that crank sensor. It reads the back of the flywheel and it's hidden down the back of the engine. IIRC there's a short flylead on it and it's two-pin plug fixes [with others!] to a metal strip bracket above the diff.

ROVER 220 COUPE (1995) - elekie&a/c doctor
Which flywheel has been used? If I recall these rovers running on mems efi system have a coded pulse signal in the flywheel matched to the engine Ecu.(certainly on 200/400 models)
ROVER 220 COUPE (1995) - Spanner
The story is that the engine was fitted by a friend of the owner but after the car wouldn't start, said car was towed to owners house where it now sits. Engine was from an exact match - even down to the spec and year.
The cut off switch on this particular model is behind the center console in the passenger compartment. Have checked to see if this had triggered but it had not. Going to have a look at the crank sensor now following the advice.

Many thanks,

Andrew
Rover 220 Coupe (1995) - Civic8
Need more info on what was done ie replaced,as a thought is the cps connected,though these can play up and work when they feel like it,so yes would suspect crank P sensor.not uncommon on rovers
--
Steve