VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - mikeyb
This may be wrong as I have yet to speak in detail to my dealer, but basicaly they have told me that VW have ceased lon glife servicing.

I picked up a new sharan for SHMBO just before christmas (it was pre registered by the garage, and the general manager had used it so it had 1800 miles on the clock) - last night I got around to having a quick flick through the handbook, and despite the car being effectivly new I noticed that they had serviced it 2 days before I picked it up. I thought this was odd given the low mileage and the fact the car was only 6 weeks old, but I guessed it was as they still classified the car as "used" therefore perhaps it was serviced as part of the VW approved used car scheme. When I looked closer at the book it has a couple of option boxs for the garage to tick - is this car on long life servicing? YES. Was long life oil used? NO.

Assuming this is a simple mistake I called the sales person and explained and asked her to check with the service department what they had done - she was in fact surprised that they had serviced it at all given the mileage, and said she was a little confused, so would check and call me back. Anyway, she called my mobile, but I didnt get to it in time so she left a message explaining that the mistake was that the long life box had been ticked and that it was on time / milegae servicing (not what I aksed for or I was told when I picked up the car - the car does 20K per annum so long life should reduce running costs a bit). the reason that standard oil had been used was that VW had instructed them to revert all vehicles they sell back to standard servicing and not use the long life regeime anymore?

I hope she is mistaken, but so far in my dealing with her she has been very clued up and very honest - she is away all weekend, but has asked me to call her back on Monday to explain in more detail.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Could this be connected to HJ's post on tehe timing belt change being reduced in that they want to make sure that you take the car in every 10K so they can remind you to chenge the belt / tensioner?

I will post again on Monday when I have spoken to them in more detail, but its also anoying in that we liked the sharan because of the extended servicing, so this may have had an effect on us chosing this car over say the galaxy or alhambra.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Hamsafar
www.vw.co.uk/services/servicing/service_intervals

"Long Life" is an oxymoron, as the life won't be long if you use the Long Life schedules IMHO.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Vansboy
Bet they come back with ' the vehicle was serviced, as a PDI check & the oil wasn't even changed, as it hadn't covered a sufficient mileage, to require it'.

Which would make sense, sort of.

& for the few £$£$ it costs & inkeeping with Broomers tradition, as well as being compulsory , to allow us to post here, the oil & filter will be changed, at no more than 5000 mile intervals anyway, with synthetic, of course....WON'T IT!!!

VB
Thats my issue - I intend to keep the car until the VW warranty runs out, during which we will have done 50 - 60K in it. Longevity of the car is not really a concern - keeping the cost of ownership down was key.

They have definatly serviced the car as the book has a PDI stamp in a few weeks ago, and then the first service page has been completed about 2 days before I picked it up
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - mare
Completely different car (Citroen C3), but;

First service was a "lights and levels check" with no oil change.

Next service wasn't due until 20,000 miles. I had the oil changed at 10,000 anyway, but that doesn't apparently warrant a stamp in the service book, because it's "only an oil change"

Wierd
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Roly93
I think this sounds like an idiosyncrasy of that particular garage. I am unaware of this changing from an Audi perspective. I think this long-life servicing works well in my particular case, but if you dont do much mileage in a year I guess you can save money on the 'standard' service regime.
It does seem odd that the dealer diod a 'service' on the car with such low mileage, I would personally be suspicious of this.
There has been a lot of discussion on this board over time of how bad it is to leave oil in a car for 20,000 miles. I think as long as these miles are done in a relatively short time ie a year or less, and the correct high-grade oil is used there should be no worries at all.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Dalglish
There has been a lot of discussion on this board over time of
how bad it is to leave oil in a car for 20,000 miles

>>

all based on "personal opinions". not any actual engineering tests or studies or research.

any evidence that the "up to" 20k plus miles are perfectly feasible using the right oil is conveniently iignored by the steam-age motorists.

all based on "personal opinions". not any actual engineering tests or
studies or research.
any evidence that the "up to" 20k plus miles are perfectly
feasible using the right oil is conveniently iignored by the steam-age
motorists.

I dont think you are right here, in my case it is personal opinion, but we have had some input in the past from an expert in the field of lubricating oils etc.
.... some input in the past from an expert in the field of
lubricating oils .....

can you provide: name, qualifications of "expert", exact claims made, based on which study/research as accepted in which journal?
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Stuartli
>>any evidence that the "up to" 20k plus miles are perfectly feasible using the right oil is conveniently iignored by the steam-age motorists.>>

I would agree, providing that such a distance didn't involve mainly short hops when the engine never really gets up to the proper temperature.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I would agree, providing that such a distance didn't involve ...

>>

the regime is fully explained at

www.vw.co.uk/assets/Longlife_servicing.pdf

and current reccomendations for different models are given at

VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - J Bonington Jagworth
"steam-age motorists"

That'll be HJ, then...
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Andrew-T
"They have definitely serviced the car as the book has a PDI stamp in a few weeks ago".

I'm a cynic. They have definitely stamped the book.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Altea Ego
It is HIGHLY unlikely that VW have ended long life servicing. Its one of the major reasons that VW are popular with lease fleets.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - cheddar
Reducing cambelt change intervals to 40k is not going to help that popularity.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - MoneyMart
Quote Ishok Leyland : "Long Life" is an oxymoron, as the life won't be long if you use the Long Life schedules IMHO. "

Previous Golf : 4 years and 192,000 miles all on long-life servicing - no problems (none that are relevant to servicing anyway - just steering rack, alternator, etc etc)

Wifes previous Beetle : 5 years & 102,000 miles all on long-life servicing - no problems

Colleagues Passat : 3 years & 150,000 miles all on long-life servicing - no problems relating to servicing

Colleague #2 Passat : 3 years & 120,000 miles all on long-life servicing - no problems relating to servicing

Me thinks you're talking out of the top of yer head mate!
Interestingly though, the above cars varied immensely in how far each car travelled between servicing, depending on how it was driven. EG up to 20,000+ miles in the motorway hacks, compared to 11,000 miles in the town runabouts!
Quote Ishok Leyland : "Long Life" is an oxymoron, as
the life won't be long if you use the Long Life
schedules IMHO. "
Previous Golf : 4 years and 192,000 miles all on long-life
servicing - no problems (none that are relevant to servicing anyway
- just steering rack, alternator, etc etc)
Wifes previous Beetle : 5 years & 102,000 miles all on
long-life servicing - no problems
Colleagues Passat : 3 years & 150,000 miles all on long-life
servicing - no problems relating to servicing
Colleague #2 Passat : 3 years & 120,000 miles all on
long-life servicing - no problems relating to servicing
Me thinks you're talking out of the top of yer head
mate!

Agree with the above, the long life service regime is more intelligent than you would think. If you do a period of local driving the service inteval is shortened by the ECU in accordance with this.
I find that if I do say 2 weeks of local driving intemixed with very short journeys on the weekends, the service indicator on my Audi goes down by say 500 miles when I've maybe only done 300-350 miles. However if I do say 600 miles of almost entirely motorway work in less than a week, I may only lose 400 miles for 600 miles driven. The car also has an oil quality sensor that can detect poor oil if all else fails.
Agree with the above, the long life service regime is more
intelligent than you would think.

My own car is an Audi, but compared to my partners 20K a year I do only about 7K so the long life servicing allows me to go 18 - 20 months between services. Anything that avoids me having to go to the dealer more often than I need to is good
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Bill Payer
Anything that avoids me having to go to the
dealer more often than I need to is good

Agree with this - I'd really rather the car was 'sealed for life' so the dealer didn't have to touch it at all.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - machika
Colleagues Passat : 3 years & 150,000 miles all on long-life
servicing - no problems relating to servicing

Hope he wasn't paying for the fuel.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Martin Sweeney
I mentioned the cambelt issue to our fleet manager yesterday and he had heard nothing of it but commented that neither the 1.4 or 1.6 were popular engines for fleet vehicles and that we had no such vehicles in our fleet. Agreeing with TVM I'd be very surprised if VAG abandoned long life servicing as fleet love the concept.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - neil
Thats my issue - I intend to keep the car until
the VW warranty runs out, during which we will have done
50 - 60K in it. Longevity of the car is
not really a concern - keeping the cost of ownership down
was key.

And STILL, people like cars with 'Full Main Dealer Service History' !!

They have definatly serviced the car as the book has a
PDI stamp in a few weeks ago, and then the first
service page has been completed about 2 days before I picked
it up

Well, they've definitely stamped the book, anyway! I'd be interested in seeing the JOB CARD for this alleged 'service' - are you sure the SALES department didn't stamp the book? Not unknown...! ;-)
>> They have definatly serviced the car as the book has
a
>> PDI stamp in a few weeks ago, and then the
first
>> service page has been completed about 2 days before I
picked
>> it up
>>
Well, they've definitely stamped the book, anyway! I'd be interested in
seeing the JOB CARD for this alleged 'service' - are you
sure the SALES department didn't stamp the book? Not unknown...! ;-)

I think the service book quotes the job card number, but the odd thing is that when I called the sales person she was surprised that it had been serviced as she had not requested it, and had no idea why they would have serviced a car which had only covered 1800 miles. I am begining to suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye, as the message also said that if this was a problem then call back and we can "discuss"
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Cardew
"Long Life" is an oxymoron, as the life won't be long
if you use the Long Life schedules IMHO.

To satisfy the more 'traditional' motorists, perhaps you should arrange for it to have a decoke every 5K or so. My dad used to have that done and he kept a spare starting handle in the boot.
This may be wrong as I have yet to speak in detail to my
dealer

>>

can this be called being "premature" or "jumping the gun" or "allegedly spreading falsehoods" or "rumour mongering" ?
can this be called being "premature" or "jumping the gun" or
"allegedly spreading falsehoods" or "rumour mongering" ?

Or it could be called wanting to get facts straight before talking to dealer.
can this be called being "premature" or "jumping the gun" or
"allegedly spreading falsehoods" or "rumour mongering" ?

>>

Suggest you read the whole of my post before being so judgemental. My post is based around a message left for me on my mobile and so hence I have not had the oportunity to discuss at length with the garage as the individual in question is out until Monday.

If you read the full post you will see that I have quoted the message which was left for me which stated that they had been told by VW to return cars they are selling back to standard servicing. As this was a statement made by a VW dealer - a representative of the manufacturer I dont consider it to be spreading falsehoods or rumour mongering, I was looking to establish if there is any substance to the statement before I go back to discuss on Monday.
As this was a statement made by a VW dealer - a
representative of the manufacturer

>>

allegedly.

i did read it all, and especially "I will post again on Monday when I have spoken to them in more detail".

look forward to that report.
>> As this was a statement made by a VW dealer
- a
>> representative of the manufacturer
>>
allegedly.
i did read it all, and especially "I will post again
on Monday when I have spoken to them in more detail".
look forward to that report.

Now who is rumour mongering.....................
mikeyb -
look forward to your update on monday.
i use the term "allegedly" keeping in mind the following:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27804
" .... You may know that what you say is absolutely true; .....
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Happy Blue!
There seems to be some thought that long life servicing is a good thing. It may be good for those that rack up high mileages that are in the dealers at least once a year anyway. but for those of us who do less than 15,000 miles pa, I would want my car inspected at least annually by a competant technician, irrespective of the need for a 'service'. In any event, a car doing lots of stop start driving needs the oil chaged far more often than a car sat on the motorway for most of the day.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
There seems to be some thought that long life servicing is
a good thing. It may be good for those that
rack up high mileages that are in the dealers at least
once a year anyway. but for those of us who do
less than 15,000 miles pa, I would want my car inspected
at least annually by a competant technician, irrespective of the need
for a 'service'. In any event, a car doing lots
of stop start driving needs the oil chaged far more often
than a car sat on the motorway for most of the
day.

If you read my earlier thread, this is exactly the point I was making.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Cardew
There seems to be some thought that long life servicing is
a good thing. It may be good for those that
rack up high mileages that are in the dealers at least
once a year anyway. but for those of us who do
less than 15,000 miles pa, I would want my car inspected
at least annually by a competant technician, irrespective of the need
for a 'service'. In any event, a car doing lots
of stop start driving needs the oil chaged far more often
than a car sat on the motorway for most of the
day.

Surely that's what VW long life servicing takes into account.

Quote from VW:

"The LongLife Service Regime is so called because there are no set service intervals and, depending on how you drive your vehicle and the conditions of use"
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Happy Blue!
But, I think that people who do a small annual mileage, still expect not to see the dealer for 18 months (to save money) and this IMHO is too long.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Blue {P}
Doesn't the Sharan have the same engine as the Galaxy which comes with a 12,500 mile interval unless I'm mistaken?

Blue
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Marc
Not VW, but for info Vauxhall had a similar scheme when I bought my Vectra in 2003 called Flex Service. Petrol - 20k, 2 years or service light whichever comes first. Diesel - 30k, 2 years or service light.

They have since reverted to a simpler 20k or 12 months whichever comes first. I'm guessing this is perhaps because of the confusion that Flex Service caused (for both dealers and owners) or warranty costs!

It appealed to me on cost grounds having owned a Merc that needed a service every 6k and a Mondeo3 every 12.5k. As it happens I cover about 18-20k every 12 months so that is when my car gets serviced. I would not be happy leaving the same oil in for 2 years. A life of short runs would in theory cause the oil quality to degrade thus activating the service (spanner) light and overriding the 20k/2 year parameters.

May sound a bit mercenary but the longevity of the car is not a major issue to me as I will probably change it at 3 years old.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - mss1tw
Petrol - 20k, 2 years or service light whichever comes first.
Diesel - 30k, 2 years or service light.

Strange...diesels are normally more frequent, or now days about equal, I thought?
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Marc
30k - That's what the service book says, a colleague of mine was pleased as he has an 03 2.2 diesel Vectra and thought it was 20k like the petrol - hence the confusion I quoted
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - JohnM{P}
Did you purchase the Sharan together with a sevicing plan?
IIrc, there have been previous posts where people had bought a car with an included service plan but the longlife regime meant that it had very few visits during the plan period, leaving the owners feeling 'short-changed'. A change to regular interval servicing for such cars could make sense...
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Aprilia
A Diesel on 30k/2 years! I wouldn't want to buy that car at 70k miles. Good job I stay away from Vauxhalls....
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Armitage Shanks {p}
This Vauxhall servicing interval was confirmed by Jason Dawe in the Sunday Times, reviewing the Signum as a 2nd hand buy. 20K petrol and 30K diesel; doesn't sound too clever to me!
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - cheddar
I certainly would not want to buy a car that had not been serviced for 30k miles.

In the early 90's I had a Cavalier 1.7 td (Izuzu engine) as a company car, the oil change interval was 4500 miles, rather short, on one occasion I tried to book a service the dealer advised that it was not required and that Vx had extended the interval to 9000 miles. This did not seem right to me so I did some digging and found out that the extended interval only applied to cars built after a certain date so mine had the 4500 oil changes. However there was no apparent spec change in the engine or oil, seemed to me that Vx were bowing to fleet pressure and pushing the limits.

9k is one thing though 30k is certainly pushing the limits!
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - stevied
As a link of sorts to this question, can anyone tell me for sure if a 54 plate Skoda Superb 1.9tdi is on variable or fixed servicing? Conflicting advice from dealer and company bods. Dealer repeatedly tells me varied, company bods ask if I have had it serviced yet.
>> .. Skoda Superb 1.9tdi is on variable or fixed servicing? ..

as with vw, the choice is yours:

www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/content/extras/faq/faq.asp...9

"... All Octavia and Superb Models can operate on either a fixed or a variable servicing regime. ..."

VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - Dynamic Dave
30k for the Vauxhall Diesels ONLY apply if the recommended long life oil (GM-LL-B-025) is used. If you top up using any other oil than the recommended long life one, then you compromise the 2yr / 30,000 service interval and you should resort to the 1yr, 20,000 mile interval.
UPDATE

Have spoken to dealer again this am who told me that the reason that all used cars are switched back to time/distance is becaus ethe variable servicing is proving to expensive for most users. She kept refering back to VW claiming that this was a request from HQ.

I expresed my iritation and explained that we bought the sharan over say the galaxy or alhambra as it offered extended servicing which for our 20K per annum worked well. At first she told me that after the next 10 K service I could ask them to revert back to long life. After some discussion about how they had sold the car to me as having long life servicing etc she agreed to speak to the general manager and she what she could do, but would call me back in a couple of days.

Now becoming somewhat confused I called VW customer suport who know nothing about this change, so I suspect tht the dealer has made a mistake and rather than own up to it is trying to lie there way out. i will post further if I make any more headway.

Incidently VWs longlife servicing is up to 30K on diesel and 20K on petrol. / 2 years
... all used cars are switched back to time/distance is ..

>>

"... Service intervals ? Approved Used vehicles
If you are already enjoying ownership of a Volkswagen or are considering buying an Approved Used car from us and want to know what service regime your vehicle is set to.
Please see one of our authorised retailers or repairers who will be happy to advise and recommend what would be the most beneficial set-up for your driving style
...."

Incidently VWs longlife servicing is up to 30K on diesel and
20K on petrol. / 2 years

>>
This is theoretically true, but to get 30K between services I think you would have to get up every morning and drive 200 miles on a congestion free motorway at a steady 75 to get this in reality.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - JohnM{P}
Interestingly, from the info regarding the differing max distances from
www.volkswagen.co.uk/services/servicing/service_in...s

it looks as if the Euro3 diesel engines have a max of 30k whereas the EuroIV have max of only 20k - what's the difference?

As I have posted before, my first service my 105TDi GolfV was at 18.5k - the majority of my weekday journeys are 3 mile country roads, 65 miles motorway at max 75mph then return in evening, with the only chance to rev up through the gears with a hot engine only when I get off of the motorway in the evening.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - kenl
A VW technician posting on a VW forum site says that in order for long-life regime to work out cheaper you should be averaging 25 miles per day, not all through town. That only works out at 9k/year.

Most Golf mkV owners are on variable service. Most people (me included) are not needing first service until ~18k miles.

Another point is that all VW (except Lupo) leave the factory set for long-life. That is, they already have the more expensive oil needed for the long-life regime.
VAG Long Life servicing Dead? - kenl
Forgot to say that the oil in my car with 16k on the clock still looks pretty good.
QUOTE :

"Have spoken to dealer again this am who told me that the reason that all used cars are switched back to time/distance is becaus ethe variable servicing is proving to expensive for most users. She kept refering back to VW claiming that this was a request from HQ."

I had exactly the same thing with my Beetle. I followed up with VW and they claimed it was nonsense. After doing some digging, I spoke to an employee of the dealer "off the record" who told me that the dealers HATE long life servicing as it reduces the number of visits people make to the dealer.

Also he pointed out that a high number of cars only get dealer serviced by the first owner. A high number (not all!) of second owners onwards get servicing performed by independant garages.

Now as most first owners keep their cars 3 years, the traditional servicing meant dealers got 3 lots of services out of each car.

Given that variable intervals average 18 mopnths/18000 m, this is reduced to 1.

This guy told me that the dealer in question deliberately turn all VWs back to time/distance regime during the PDI, thus reinstating their revenue stream.

Needless to say Trading Standards were involved.
I had exactly the same thing with my Beetle. I followed
up with VW and they claimed it was nonsense. After doing
some digging, I spoke to an employee of the dealer "off
the record" who told me that the dealers HATE long life
servicing as it reduces the number of visits people make to
the dealer.
Also he pointed out that a high number of cars only
get dealer serviced by the first owner. A high number (not
all!) of second owners onwards get servicing performed by independant garages.

Sounds exactly like what happened to me. I have spoken to them again and they have agreed to turn the long life servicing back on and change the oil - I just have to book it back into the service department. They were somewhat sheepish about the whole thing and apologized for not explaining the policy of reverting back to time / distance when I bought the car. I suspect one of two thing have happened - either they made a genuine mistake, or (more likely) this is common practice to increase revenue. It also fits in with the fact that when I bought the car they were very insistent that it had to be serviced by a VW dealer to maintain the warranty.
mikeyb

Thanks for the feedback and glad to see that you weren't after all "rumour mongering", but trying to get some facts :)