Pug 406 - Died, any ideas? - GICarey
1999 T-Reg Exec (face-lift variety), 2.0 16v engine.

Hi Folks,

Well, as per the other post I just finished up, a month after getting the car back, having had an injector replaced, the following occured (at the lovely time of 2am).

Driving along, cruise control at about 55mph, when the car started to decellerate. I thought i must have tapped a pedal and switched it off, so popped my foot on the accelerator, but nothing happened, revs continued to drop and the car continued to slow.

Couple of seconds later, the dash lit up like a christmas tree, the big red STOP light, the engine light, oil pressure, battery, you name it. I was approaching a lit village so i popped it into neutral and coasted under a street light. 10 or so seconds after the lights came on, the engine itself "stalled", requiring a quick struggle with the lack of power steering to bring the car to a safe stopping point.

My initial gut feel was cam-belt, my dad having had similar symptoms in his M-Reg Omega recently (now replaced with a Primera Sport I believe), and as described by a friend in his F-Reg BMW 525 (lot of it around recently!).

Anyway, called breakdown, who turned up at around 0245, he asked if i'd tried to start it. I said "no, thought it might be cambelt so didnt dare". To which, his response was "well, if you were doing 50 or so, it's gonna be broken anyway, may as well give it a go" and proceeded to turn the key, not a lot i could do..

Car sounded like it was trying to start, but had no ignition. The breakdown fella said "doesnt sound like cambelt has gone, it's turning over ok, i reckon engine management system failure". lets get it on the truck.

Loaded up, and recovered the 100 miles to the pug dealer near my home, then home to bed (scaring the misses in the process as she wasnt expecting me until sunday) at 5am.

Am awaiting a response from them as to their diagnosis of the problem, but wondered what the thoughts of members of the forums are? Cambelt? something else?

And an idea of the expense i should be "looking forward to"?

Go on, cheer me up ;)

Gav.
Pug 406 - Died, any ideas? - Adam {P}
I really don't think it's the cambelt.

Does that cheer you up? ;-)
That really all depends if thats an honest, educated view, or just to make me feel better?
Pug 406 - Died, any ideas? - Hamsafar
Cambelts usually cause catastrophic mechanical bangs.
If (rare) the engine is non-interference, it would not have banged, but would stop sooner, and when you tried to restart it would normally make popping noises.
It was a little of both Gav. Ishok knows more than me but I was under the impression that if the cambelt went, your car wouldn'd suddenly slow down - but come to a grinding halt after a noise that made you say "What the hell was that?"

Thanks Adam,

Definitely wasn't a grinding halt, or any particularly loud noises (had radio on, chilling to the stereophonics, so might have missed it though) cruised a hundred yards or so before knocking it into neutral, and another couple of hundred afterwards.

Things maybe looking up then (assuming whatever is wrong isn't going to be hundreds of pounds worth!)

Gav.
As mentioned in reply to Adam, i didnt notice any loud mechanical noises, but did have the stereo on so may have missed it.

Anyway I can find out whether this happens to be a non-inteference engine or not? I assume its a per-engine-type kind of thing, rather than a "you get lucky on an engine now and again" kind of thing? I'd guess it probably isn't tho, i've seen other threads on 406 cambelt snaps and various repairs required, tho these have all been diesel engines.

No popping noises when turning over anyway.
Pug 406 - Died, any ideas? - Civic8
>>Car sounded like it was trying to start, but had no ignition.

would not try to start without ignition,possible fuel problem maybe fuel pump failure/low pressure
--
Steve
Hmm,

think, by ignition, i meant sounds like starter motor was turning, but there was no "explosion" taking place in the cylinders, so either no spark, or no fuel in there.
Don't know if this is likely to be related or not, but i did have a "squealy" belt (probably accesory belt?) for the last couple of weeks, as car was due to go in for a service in a week or so, i was going to ask for them to sort that then.
Did it stop squealing when the car warmed up?
Pug 406 - Died, any ideas? - Civic8
Adam,Too many possibles here,be inclined to let garage find problem, none of whats been said relates to cambelt failure,description of engine failure could be caused by any number of reasons.Alternator belt being loose would be unlikely cause as engine turned over-unless aided by jump start.not mentioned.At the end of the day could be anything as no noises heard so we all are guessing
--
Steve
You're right.
Fair point, i'll let you know how it goes when I hear back.
Yeah, usually.
Turns out the problem was lack of fuel getting to the engine, due to a defunct fuel pump (£308 @ main dealer to supply & fit - thoughts on the price?)

Annoyingly, on the first call the girl told me "it stopped because it had run out of fuel" (my initial embaressment, and thinking "hang on, it was showing > 100 miles of range and no sign of the usual yellow light, was soon quelled by) we're not sure if the problem is the fueltank sender unit, or the receiving end.

Either way, i figured, doesnt sound too drastic or expensive.

Anyway, i'm now a bit peed off with the main dealer, but as that's pretty much a seperate topic, i'll start a new topic, i'll pop it in discussion.

Thanks for your replies in this tread all!

Gav.