travelling in europe questions ? - sirion
hi all

recieved a contract this morning starting soon for a run from bradford to lecce italy to pick up some goods, i will be doing this run weekly and hopefully if business goes well twice weekly i thought i would post on here for travelling in europe:- rules etc, like i have a citroen c15 van so am i correct in saying that i have to have yellow lights in france but what about switerland, italy. speed limits , camera, good laybys, cafes, routes to avoid , traffic problems etc

many thanks in advance
travelling in europe questions ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good evening, congratualtions on the contract!

Here is a link to a download (75kb), from the AA, of things you need to carry.

www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_...l

Whatever it says I would add a fluorescent jacket and snow chains and a good large scale map of the Lecce area.

www.viamichelin.com is an excellent route finding site too.
Please let us know how you get on!
I had no idea Lecce was so far down Italy! Via Michelin says 2525 Kms and 24 hours.

tinyurl.com/7nsre

correct about 1600 miles hoping for bradford / lecce / bradford in 58 hours weather permitting
cheers armitage, for some reason i already had a vest in the car an old british rail one do you think this would be ok (bright orange). plus i have one of those flashing red railway lights like they have on the end of a train in case of accident breakdown

travelling in europe questions ? - colinh
Don't know the official position on yellow headlights, but don't recall seeing all that many this year.
i know that many of the taxi drivers in bradford have them which i thought would be illegal in the uk but police cannot pull them up otherwise there would be WW2, but would headlight convertors from halfords be ok.
Yellow headlights (bulbs) used to be a legal requirement in France but aren't any more. Comverters from Halfords would be OK, if you mean beam deflectors as opposed to things to change the headlight colour. On a lot of modern cars, which have no patterns on the outer glass, it is almost impossible to work out where to place the masking tape or beam converters. Are you looking for an occasional co-driver for this epic run?
travelling in europe questions ? - colinh
sirion - just a thought, if you are taking out an empty van.

Here in Spain there is a UK ceramics distributor who brings out goods for ex-pats who are relocating, and then takes the ceramics back. I'm sure he has a lot of hassle but it seems to have been working for a few years.
hi

i have already looked at the expats or other business as many brits are moving to southern italy around the lecce area as it offers better value for money than spain, have thought of adverts in property magazines plus ebay advert. i could carry about a ton out plus i can put the roofrack/box on and maybe a trailer.

As for other driver, i will start out solo and see how i do, time is money and the longest i have ever driven is leeds to de panne in belgium with only one diesel stop plus 1 hours kip on the ferry. plus lots of coffee.

i have a friend in castleford who has been asking me ever since i knew about the contract so i will offer it to him first but if for any reason we dont get on i would maybe be looking for another co driver.

does anyone know about speed cameras in europe as in the uk i know where they are mainly temporary camaras at motorway roadworks, but what about france, switz and italy, would any points go on as they cannot find out who i am

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - NowWheels
As for other driver, i will start out solo and see
how i do, time is money and the longest i have
ever driven is leeds to de panne in belgium with only
one diesel stop plus 1 hours kip on the ferry. plus
lots of coffee.

Sirion, are you sure this is a safe plan?

Return journey of 3200 miles. At an average speed of 70mph, that's over 45 hours driving, leaving only 13 hours out of your planned 58 for food, sleep, and everything else.

That probably means driving for 18 hours a day, and getting about 5 hours sleep each day, which really seems to be stretching things dangerously.

It sounds to me as if you either need to allow a lot more time for the journey or get a co-driver.
hi
i was planning about 60 hours ish food/drink will be eaten while driving 4 station stops 5 mins put toilet and quick wash, i have and electric shaver so will shave while on move. or at lecce, plenty of coffee, i will also put in radio before i go to pass the times, i have been thinking of getting a learn italian tape, are there any good ones that people can recommend.

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - Big Bad Dave
Sounds a little bit unrealistic if you don?t mind me saying so. I?ve done Warsaw - London - Warsaw a few times, 1000 miles each way or 20 hours non stop. It?s a killer, with or without co-driver, you?re still squashed into a metal box and personally I couldn?t face getting back in the car for a couple of days. How you?re gonna manage 3000 miles in one spurt I dunno. I found that what works best for me is to drive off an early morning sleeper ferry and drive in daylight till night. I?ve docked at midnight and driven all night and into the day but I won?t be doing that again.

My sister was blind I used her "spoken word" cds, I think you can get most books on cd now. Pick up hitch-hikers. Do whatever you can to stay stimulated. 60 hours is a working week and a half.
travelling in europe questions ? - Bromptonaut
I take my hat off to your determination, you're a braver man then me!!.

As others have said I think you're making some very optimistic assumptions about timings. My experience is limited to summer hols but 10hours from Calais to the Alps is exhausting even with two drivers. After that you need a good break and a sit down meal. Appreciate that a C15 is not subject to driving time regs but for your own and others safety you might take them as a model.

Where on your route might you hit rush hours, and at some point you've got to cross the Alps, which could require snow chains in winter.
i have been looking at majority nite driving as no traffic jams and faster speed hoping for 75mph ave on french and italian roads, not sure about switz what the speed limit like. i understand the building in lecce is near the swimming pool so i will have a swim and a shower to freshen up.

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - smokie
Can't claim the same distance/duration as Dave, but I did Berkshire to Frankfurt and back a few times last year in a V6 Omega, somewhat faster and more comfortable than a van would be. Mileage was something over 450 IIRC, much of it done at over 120mph, and despite enjoying driving abroad immensely I was glad each time the trip was over. I wouldn't want to do it every week.

I think you need to re-consider this one.
That?s a good point from Smokie, it?s only just bearable in a comfortable mile-muncher. I?d seriously consider letting my insurance company know what I was up to if I were you. Mine like to be told which borders I?m crossing and when.
travelling in europe questions ? - cheddar
With the greatest respect to sirion who is trying to earn a crust driving for 60 hours with no sleep is verging on the irresponsible, the likelyhood of falling asleep at the wheel is putting other road users at risk. A nights sleep before returning is the minimum required.

Yeah you really do need a co-driver but pick one smaller than yourself, in my experience, fist-i-cuffs occurs at the 17-18 hour mark.
thanks dave for alerting me to that i am currently only 3rd party with 1,000 mile limit and my job description is a church worker, i will have to change to a distribution manager and fully comp, i will also have to get a quote for european breakdown cover. do i need a green card from my insurance company for travel in europe over 24 hours

cheers
i have been told if things go well though the summer i may be able to do it twice a week but i will have to have a co driver for that

cheers
hi

i will be fitting one of those seat covers so the blood keeps moving, my dad thought of hitch hiker travellers etc but the loads i am carrying are expensive and i cant risk it

have bid on ebay for some learning tapes

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - Bromptonaut
i could carry
about a ton out plus i can put the roofrack/box on
and maybe a trailer.

Max load for a C15 is well under a ton, around 600 to 750kg acording to Citroen's website.
travelling in europe questions ? - Xileno {P}
Isn't the C15 that old thing based on the Visa? If so, I wouldn't look forward to a long journey in that. Take a break, have a night on the way. Loads of cheap hotels in France. You'll will be exhausted after a long haul so may need a day off to recover anyway. May as well have that 'lost' day in France and make it all a bit more enjoyable.
travelling in europe questions ? - Lud
Isn't the C15 that old thing based on the Visa? If
so, I wouldn't look forward to a long journey in that.
Take a break, have a night on the way. Loads of
cheap hotels in France. You'll will be exhausted after a long
haul so may need a day off to recover anyway. May
as well have that 'lost' day in France and make it
all a bit more enjoyable.

I agree. Not just cheap but very good and pleasant unless you're unlucky. Should be same in Italy, used to be. I wouldn't contemplate Bradford to Lecce in one go, and wouldn't have even when I was under 40. You might be able to do it but it would be risky (also from legal point of view if anything happens) and you would arrive totally knackered and good for nothing. Terrific backwoodsy baroque churches in Lecce though.
Isn't the C15 that old thing based on the Visa? If
so, I wouldn't look forward to a long journey in that

It sesm that it is: www.citroen.co.uk/level3/modelpage.asp?pagetype=c15

I would also ba inclined to question the suitability of this van for the intended journey ... and regularly doing a very long journey would be very tough, even with a co-driver.
travelling in europe questions ? - normd
As No Wheels points out above, if the average speed is 70mph then that's 45 hours driving time alone. If I might be so bold, there's no way a 60hp C15 is ever going to average 70 across Europe empty let alone with a tonne in the back and never with a roofrack and a trailer. In any case the highest spec for this van is about three-quarters of a tonne (only 600kg in the smaller one) Frankly this has to be the most ill-considered scheme regardless of whether or not it's "just someone trying to earn a crust"
i am looking on the way to italy to consider taking items up to 1 tonne for ex pats business etc, i hope this is the case on every journey but for the first couple of week it will just be little me and a empty van 70 mph will be easy.
i will remove the roofrack/box when not in use to streamlined , would a central wiper in the middle of the screen help or would it just look like a boy racer, i will probably use shell ultra bp optimate to get maximum speed/ mileage as the extra few pence would probably pay off

cheers
what the trailer limit if someone wants something tall od shaped i have a towbar fitted but i dont think theres any electric.
thing is with a trailer my average speed will drop from 70 to probably 50 so my hours will be longer plus more fuel drop below 50 mpg, may only take things that fit in the van or on the roofrack / box

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - normd
Please rethink your times carefully - don't confuse maximum speed with average speed.
i know that some journeys will be faster, some will be slower, weather, traffic, port strikes, m25, tunnel fires, i think i will just get used to the fast sections and slow sections maybe look at sat nav if it could avoid accidents roadworks etc

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - barchettaman
Sirion, I did Milan - Leeds - Milan in a van a few years ago with a week in between. First leg was OK - then fatigue hit. There was NO WAY I could do the return leg to Milan a week later at anywhere near the same driving/resting ratio, if you see what I mean. I was shattered.

I´ve learnt my leson - on the subsequent long haul trips I´ve done through Europe (Milan - Lincoln, Frankfurt - Milan, Frankfurt - Carcassone etc etc) I take it easier, bring a codriver (usually SWMBO) and don´t overestimate my ability to stay awake and alert.

Coffee can only help so much.

Please have a solid rethink of your driving schedule for this contract, as Lecce in a C15 from Bradford is a heck of a long way.

I will be sleeping as and when i need to i cannot drive with no rest i will hopefully rest at lecce as the van will get filled. hopefully this swimming pool will have a sauna / steam room.

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - T Lucas
I dont suppose you will believe it,but you will be very lucky if you can average 50MPH driving,there are tolls to stop at,slow downs,refuelling,toilet,traffic etc,at that distance 50MPH is probably being optomistic.
If you have little/no experience of that kind of work you really do need to think long and hard.
travelling in europe questions ? - PhilW
I didn't contribute to this thread earlier because I thought it was a wind up. It just struck me as impossible and the more I read it the more I think it is impossible (forget the twice a week lark).
Also strange that someone should attempt this without knowing about insurance, yellow headlights and then comments like "would a central wiper in the middle of the screen help or would it just look like a boy racer," make it sound like a thoroughly ill researched and thought out task. As for averaging 70 mph, yes for a couple of hours but not for that distance - no chance whatsoever as TL says above.
If it ain't a wind up I apologise and wish sirion the best of luck, but I'll be interested to read his report back after his first trip. And in a C15? carrying a ton??
Phil
travelling in europe questions ? - wemyss
If its not too confidential what kind of goods are you carrying in a small van which could make this financially viable for anyone. Air freight would surely be cheaper..
its secure art works so thats why i cant take hitch hikers and sending via italy post, if royal mail are bad god know italy post are i would think they would get stolen, smashed torn i think the owners would not be very happy.
travelling in europe questions ? - MichaelR
Are you really sure a C15 is the right vehicle for this?

Technically perhaps it might be but from a comfort perspective given you will be doing thousands of miles?
I'm afraid Phil W may be right. Nice one Sirion.
travelling in europe questions ? - R75
Not a very well thought out idea at all. The run times are near impossible with 2 drivers let alone one. One thing you have not taken into account is the fact that as you are doing the journey for hire/reward you are subject to British driving hours regs which will limit you to 10 hours driving then you must have 12 hours off, (I thinks thats correct, would need to check!!) so if you had an accident in the UK and the police did any investigations then you would be in very serious trouble!!!
driving hours regs, i am self employed so dont understand.

i have access to a 2.0 hdi berlingo does anyone think i would be better off with this.
It makes no differnce if you are self employed or an employed driver, the fact is you are driving for hire or reward so you have to obey the drivers hours regs. Have a look on the VOSA website for more details. (www.vosa.gov.uk)
i used to a courier a number of years ago delivering computer parts anywhere and i mean anywhere london bristol inverness cardiff nobody ever told me is it one of this stupid european laws, wont work anyway how can enforce it.

cheers
"2.0 hdi berlingo"
I've got one - please don't put a ton of "secure art works" in the back. What are they? bronze statues?? Lead blocks? Or are you doing "The Italian Job" you'd probably get a ton of gold in the back but whether it would be safer than by "Italian post" I doubt. By the way, hope you have export certificates/documents for all these works of art - and if you do, and if you show them at border crossings, that should account for about 60 hours of your journey.
This IS a wind up.
Phil
the hdi berlingo is the multispace car one it is fast i have 105+ in it, the art work should only weight 40/50 kg
customs? i thought being in the eu we have no paperwork. if i decide to drop the cheap to run but older and higher milege c15 for the 2 year old berlingo could i bypass customs as i would just look tourist like

cheers
travelling in europe questions ? - Adam {P}
With the Mona Lisa stacked against the side window? ;-)
travelling in europe questions ? - neil
the hdi berlingo is the multispace car one it is fast
i have 105+ in it, the art work should only weight
40/50 kg
customs? i thought being in the eu we have no paperwork.
if i decide to drop the cheap to run but older
and higher milege c15 for the 2 year old berlingo could
i bypass customs as i would just look tourist like
cheers

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Excellent mate!
travelling in europe questions ? - Dynamic Dave
"2.0 hdi berlingo"
I've got one - please don't put a ton of "secure
art works" in the back.

I once had to do a 150 mile journey in a Berlingo Van loaded with 5 pieces of equipment, each weighing approx 100lb. Something I wish not to repeat in a hurry. It handled like a blamonge in a bucket of tapioca pudding.
travelling in europe questions ? - BobbyG
Just read this thread.

He has won a contract to courier art goods from Italy to UK. Presumably he has costed this out and submitted a quote. However, it would appear that he hadn't costed in extra insurance, change of vehicle, overnight stops etc etc.

Sirion if they are paying you SO much to do this, then use some of it for overnight stays, arranging comp insurance, notifying ins company of exactly what you are doing and the value of your cargo, and a co-driver, and sat nav, and servicing.

In other words, unless you are not telling us everything, it looks very much to me that you are way out your depth with this one.
travelling in europe questions ? - Adam {P}
Buy me a pizza in Italy and I'll do the driving for you.
You want a transit sized van for this, preferably diesel with nice long legs for relaxed motorway cruising. Otherwise you will be a wreck at the end of it.
travelling in europe questions ? - barchettaman
There´s a bit of deafening silence here - that of Sirion denying that he´s winding us all up.
Lecce is right down in the heel of italy. It would take a week to get there from Bradford....any further and he´d be in Cairo.
sirion, are you wasting everyone´s time here...?
He appears to have left the building.
nobody ever told me is it one of this stupid
european laws, wont work anyway how can enforce it.
cheers

You are kind of missing the point, They won't enforce it, but when you are involved in an accident they will look into it and see how many hours you have been driving etc. then it becomes a serious problem. You need to have more stops along the route for some proper rest - not just 5mins and a coffee, that is a recipe for an accident - I hope you don't hurt anyone else and just write yourself off in this silly contract, no doubt you put a price in well below what a reputible haulage company would do it for legally, COWBOY springs to mind.
Not a very well thought out idea at all. The run
times are near impossible with 2 drivers let alone one. One
thing you have not taken into account is the fact that
as you are doing the journey for hire/reward you are subject
to British driving hours regs which will limit you to 10
hours driving then you must have 12 hours off, (I thinks
thats correct, would need to check!!) so if you had an
accident in the UK and the police did any investigations then
you would be in very serious trouble!!!

But if you're a total young idiot, remember? Otherwise he's taking the whassername. Kill! Kill!
Why would someone who?s been a member for 80 weeks suddenly start winding us up? Although the logistics are doomed to fail, I think the principle is a sound one. Forget twice-weekly, he really needs a ten day turnaround and a proper Transit Van. I wish the expat market was larger in Poland and someone would do a weekly run for us. I hope he?s genuine, if he fancies a small detour I?m running low on Weetabix and I?d kill for a tin of Roses.
travelling in europe questions ? - blue_haddock
One thing that i haven't seen mentioned is goods in transit insurance, i would not like to think how much this would cost for the type of thing he will be carrying.
"I?m running low on Weetabix and I?d kill for a tin of Roses"

BBD,
Well now, I have a Berlingo, it's about 2400km from Midlands to Warsaw, I could average 100 kmh, I'll have a shave and breakfast before setting off, so I could be with you with a ton of mixed weetabix and Roses in 24 hours - you name the price. And if you eat them quickly I could do 2 trips a week.
Email me your address, I'm off to 24 hour Tesco to load up.
See you midnight tomorrow.
Phil
Sirion: Steal a V6 Mondeo. Cut the artworks out of their frames and roll them up. Do the whole thing Bradford-Lecce-Bradford in say 83 hours. Apply to the Guinnesss Book of Records. Spend a month at that clinic across the river tapering off from all the speed (sorry I forgot to mention that). Do it again if you feel like it.
"See you midnight tomorrow."

Don?t bother washing, I?ve got some wet wipes.

Cheers Phil
travelling in europe questions ? - cheddar
(translation)

"Lecce Observer, 14th January 2006

Major arts theft! national treasures lost!, police looking for an English man with northern accent and a Welsh name who has a craving for strong coffee driving a small French van towing a small trailer with 'Ifor Williams' across the back, last seen heading north towards Rome at 50mph.

This man may be desperate! so if you see him do not approach him, just point him in the direction of a WC and call the police."
travelling in europe questions ? - wemyss
Towards the end of WW11 huge amounts of art work which had been appropriated by senior German military criminals was being moved by secret SS units to a place of safety away from the Allies.
Goering himself was one of the prime architects of this plan which would have helped in the creation of a fourth Reich. Or perhaps secured a life of leisure for the escapees of justice.
I think we have unwittingly exposed an attempt to begin moving these treasures to England and Sirion (son of Borman) has been tasked to carry this out.
All backroomers who have given advice are now collaborators in this grand scheme and may well be bought to justice along with Sirion.

I think we have unwittingly exposed an attempt to begin moving
these treasures to England and Sirion (son of Borman) has been
tasked to carry this out.
All backroomers who have given advice are now collaborators in this
grand scheme and may well be bought to justice along with
Sirion.

Ahah! Now I understand what's going on.

Having failed to organise a backroom meet, Adam has registered with a new ID and started this cunning ruse, which will eventually lead to a large meeting of Backroomers in Strangeways.

Cunning work, Adam! ;)
travelling in europe questions ? - Dalglish
sirion's travel plans bring to my mind the selby rail crash scenario.

should someone report him to the law for the sake of other people's safety ? (just as one might report a drunk driver ? )

We could report him to the law or we could do something productive and suggest different scenarios that would make his plan work. Bigger van, longer turnarounds maybe.
sirion's travel plans bring to my mind the selby rail crash
scenario.
should someone report him to the law for the sake of
other people's safety ? (just as one might report a drunk
driver ? )

Apart from the difficulties in doing so, I think that's a bit premature.

Sirion tells us that he signed a contract to do a job which he (I presume he?) thought was feasible, albeit difficult. He was wise enough to seek advice, and a lot of people here have given very similar advice, sometimes in quite direct terms: that the plan is barely workable, and even if it is physically possible, it's probably illegal and definitely very dangerous.

That's a lot to take on board. If he follows the advice here (as I hope he does), he faces at least a big loss of face, and posibly some financial setback through reneging on the contract.

It doesn't sound to me as if Sirion expects to get rich quickly by this scheme. On the contrary, the fact that he's planning to do this trip in such a small and light van (for which he has only 3rd party insurance) suggests that it's not a terribly lucrative venture.

So before threatening to shop him, how about waiting to see how much of this thread he has taken onboard, and whether we can help him to work his way out of the mess he now finds himself in?
travelling in europe questions ? - DavidHM
I'm going to link to this thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32282

and say no more. This is a similar sort of mega-mileage contract and the vehicle chosen was a brand new Passat TDi estate despite rotating drivers.
travelling in europe questions ? - quizman
I can't think of anything wrong with transporting 1 ton of artwork, in a half ton van, thousands of miles, twice a week, on your own.

You get to Lecce, have a quick dip, drive to Bradford, kiss the wife and kids, have a Mars bar and then do it again.

I think that you are correct in using Ultimate or Shell extra fuel. You should use some thin synthetic oil for the extra service intervals, because I don't suppose you will have much time for a service, without you can get one done at a service station while doing toilet.

You ought to pump up the tyres an extra few pounds to carry the extra weight and speed.

I was pondering this question in bed last night, at my age this is the best you can get, and came to the same conclusion as some others. Are you any relation to our old mate "kevls" by any chance?

Perhaps you should have asked this travelling in Europe question on April 1st.
I think it's been a hoot - really well done!

Well up to the old Chris Watson/ Ladas asre Slow classics, or the latterday kevls!

And it also serves a purpose - it allows us to identify or at least estimate, by their responses, those who may be, for example kindhearted but credulous -which is immensely useful as context in which to evaluate their opinions on other matters... eh, NW?!

Neil
travelling in europe questions ? - keo-the-dog
note that the ton of cargo dropped to 40 or 50 Kg this must be cheaper to send by secure air courier, you know the ones who accompany the goods all the way. ...cheers...keo.
I can't find the thread but, early in 2005, there was a similar discussion, initiated by a taxi driver in Milton Keynes who had a contract to move a delicate peiece of medical equipment from MK to Glasgow and back, once or twice a week. This discussion hinged on what vehicle should he use rather than the hours/miles equation. It might be interesting to know how is getting on, a few months down the line.
Found it! Sirion have a look at this, please.

tinyurl.com/d843n
And it also serves a purpose - it allows us to
identify or at least estimate, by their responses, those who may
be, for example kindhearted but credulous -which is immensely useful as
context in which to evaluate their opinions on other matters... eh,
NW?!

As to credulity, if you re-read the thread you'll see that I was the first to question whether it all added up.

Yes, of course it may be a wind-up -- in which case, well done Sirion. But as Big Bad Dave pointed out, it might not be -- and in that case I don't like the idea of mocking somebody who is trying with scant resources to be a bit enterprising.
As to credulity, if you re-read the thread you'll see that
I was the first to question whether it all added up.
Yes, of course it may be a wind-up -- in which
case, well done Sirion. But as Big Bad Dave pointed
out, it might not be -- and in that case I
don't like the idea of mocking somebody who is trying with
scant resources to be a bit enterprising.

Okay, didn't mean to sound as rude as that... and i did say you were being kind-hearted, 'credulous' was probably a bit strong, I know you give as good as ya get!

I do think he's leading some of us a merry dance though - if he suggested he'd decided to fuel his van on leftover Chardonnay, some people would be debating whether he'd have to pay duty on it...! Still, nice to see who's awake! ;-)
N
travelling in europe questions ? - Dalglish
Apart from the difficulties in doing so, I think that's a bit
premature

>>

how about reporting the negligence of his "employer" or whoever it is that is the other party to this contract?

anyhow, nw - i write in in this thread in jest. so please don't respond.