ford fiesta service after being sorn - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

My daughter has just decided that she wants to learn to drive.

She has a fiesta on the drive that has been there since march the battery is flat so we purchased a new one.

It needs servicing but we don't know which one to have.

The brakes need servicing too and the tyres may need replacing due to perishing.

What service level should i require.

All help appreciated

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
ford fiesta service after being sorn - madf
Change engine oil, all brake fluids. Check front disks for rust/pads for wear. All brake flexible hoses to be carefully checked for cracking by bending..

Replace air, oil and petrol filters. Clean engine breather tubes.
Drain and replace coolant with correct antifreeze mix after checking all radiator hoses for perishing (cracks, hard, leaks). Check radiator for leaks especially at bottom.

Check all electrics (possible corrosion of joints) especially brake lights nad indicators.
Check wipers and washers and top up fluid.

Check heater works: check no heater hose leaks inside cabin.

Check underbody for rust.

Check handbrake for rusting on/ rear drums not sticking.

Tyres: inspect for flats worn on sides in contact with ground. Sidewalls for cracks/delamination. If older than 5 years replace..

If you pay someone else this could get quite expensive...is the car worth it?

madf
ford fiesta service after being sorn - Armitage Shanks {p}
This link will give you some advice

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=37

You may find that the brakes and clutch have seized. Have you started the engine and moved the car yet? 9 months in the open won't have dome it much good!
Hello.

Thankyou for the replies.

The car has been started regulary and moved up and down the drive every 3 weeks.

We went to start it the other day and the battery had died it was low anyway and is 8 years old.

When the car is started we ran it for 15-20 minutes and moved it up and down the drive.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
ford fiesta service after being sorn - bell boy
the government do a very inexpensive vehicle check system,its called an mot you can have one of these at any time,get it booked in and the man with the badge will give it a systematic check for £44,tell him your concerns regarding it parked up and he will asvise, a bargain for situations like this i think.
Please be aware that there is a very good chance that the rear wheel cylinders will probably be now starting to leak and the back drums do really need to come of to check clean and adjust.
Finally you say its been run up for 15 minutes every 3 weeks so you may well have killed the cat rotted the exhaust out ruined the lambda and it will probably need a new map sensor,the emmissions will also be checked on the mot so that will give you an indicator as well..
Hello.

Firstly it does not have a cat

Second it does not have a map sensor.

Third it was mot'd in september after being laid up for 6 months.

We will book it in for a major service at the AA service centre (nationwide or national i think)

Thanks for the tips
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
sorry for trying to help, so its the battery thats 8 years old then.
ford fiesta service after being sorn - rhubarb2
So its only been sat since March or September....I'm confused..

As previously advised, the brakes will probably need attention, and the exhaust, will be full of condensation, rotting inside out
ford fiesta service after being sorn - Civic8
Being standing would suggest full service,ie the one that replaces brake fluid.full check/service will be needed as service intervals are time related or mileage. being standing certain items will need checking and could be needing replacement!forget mileage in this case
--
Steve
ford fiesta service after being sorn - Ruperts Trooper
Reverting to a time-based service schedule is best after a period out of use. Whichever type of annual service is next due should be carried out.

Taking a vehicle directly for Mot test after standing for several months is a sure way to waste £40-odd! They don't check service items anyway, only safety and emissions.

Corrosion on the brake disks are likely to cause test failure. Some running around is necessary to clean the disks up.

But you now have a dilemma - if the car has been "sorn'ed" it won't be taxed - you can have tax dispensation to drive to and from a pre-booked Mot test but not to do some "running in".
with the hindsight of more information on the car ie it was mot"d only in sept (information not given) that the car is at least an early 92 k reg as it has no cat,then i would strongly recommend taking it to a well known service centre as the original poster says he now will,i hope that the original poster will let us know what level of service was taken up, what was done to bring a 14+year car up to a safe and serviceable level for a new learner driver,and the obvious one the cost?
ford fiesta service after being sorn - volvos60T5SE
to be perfectly honest, this car is probably going to cost more in servicing and parts/fluids etc than it's actually worth, if you want my advice, scrap the car, its not worth it (from personal experience) buy a second hand K reg fiesta that has been serviced and is in safe and serviceable condition. Regards
ford fiesta service after being sorn - piston power
as you say your not a MECHANIC then why not simply take it to one that is? have every thing checked, or simply scrap it and start again!!!!!