Peugeot 106 Life Expectancy - Edinburgh andy
Hi All, i have a Pug 106 1995 1.1 petrol. I would like to keep it another 12 months or so but dont want to be throwing money down a bottomless pit.

It has just turned 100k and was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on how long i should expect the major vehicle componants to last eg Engine, Gearbox, clutch. The vehicle had a new rad, cylinder head gasket, and head skim (7 thou removed) and timing belt at 55k. It did short runs - ie 7-8 miles- first 40k but since then long runs. Oil and filter -peugeot filter- every 7-8k. Are there any other problems i should watch out for on this matter??

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Peugeot 106 Life Expectancy - madf
New timing belt due now.
Check radiator for rust - especially at bottom.

Check body rust especially underneath near spare wheel.

Regular service and maintenance? another 100k miles seem possible..

Front suspension balljoints wear...
madf
Peugeot 106 Life Expectancy - 659FBE
I look after a '98 106 (diesel) and it's wearing well at 110k miles. As has been mentioned, look for corrosion under the boot floor and apply waxoyl or your favourite brew to the scrapyard like assembly of corrugations and top hat sections there. Remamber that every piece of metal has two sides, so treat inside and outside the tophat stiffener sections.

As has been mentioned, another timing belt would be wise, but this time change the water pump. As it is driven by the toothed belt, failure here wrecks the engine. The one on the diesel was showing signs of leakage when changed at 102k.

The electrical system was designed by people from a dry planet - there is a multiway connector in the front LH wheelarch. Find this, and all the other connectors under the bonnet, especially the big round one under the battery, separate them, apply vaseline to the pins and mate/unmate 5 times. With a design like this there is no wonder PSA rank so poorly in the reliability stakes. This is a pity because much of the basic engineering (engine, galvanised outer panels etc.) is good for the cost.

With reasonable care, 200k should be possible from this budged priced vehicle - a Metro would be rusted to holes with a wrecked engine by now.

Many thanks thats given me some hope. I was quoted 200 pounds for a timing belt, tensioner, and water pump change do you think that sounds reasonable ???. Is it necessary to change tensioner and are they liable to break??. How many hours labour do you recon this should take??

I should also have mentioned that the timing belt change was done 2 years and 47k miles ago. The idea of the water pump going horrifys me so think i will invest in a belt, and water pump change.

The engine is using oil at a rate of a pt every 1500-2000 miles is this quite normal for a engine of 100k miles?? it was going through a pt every 3000 miles until around 90k.

Many thanks for your advice. Merry xmas.
I can't really comment on the costs involved, but I changed the belt, water pump and tensioners comfortably in a morning. The tensioners are really well made on this engine - metal wheels with sealed bearings made by a well known bearing manufacturer. The ones which came out were perfect (but I had bought replacements), so a check for smooth running should be adequate here. Water pumps are cheap from GSF.

The oil consumption is a bit high - the diesel needs no oil between 5k changes, but engines will often run for a long time like this provided they are kept topped up. The only other nasty I can think of is the clutch cable. The stupidly pathetic plastic end breaks at the pedal and is a real pain to fit - cheap though. The trick is to lower the brake pedal by opening a bleed screw so that you can release the clutch pedal to get to the top.

Happy motoring and season's greetings.

Many thanks for reply. What would you recommend as being the recommended limit for for chanfing timing belt on a 95 1.1 106?.

Peugeot recommend 72k, haynes manual says 36k and other mechanics have told me 52k. The car has done 48k and 26 months since last belt change.

I shall be taking your advice and booking in for a belt change but would welcome any advice for future reference.

Cheers andy
50k miles or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Check the water pump very carefully every belt change and replace it every other belt change regardless. Tensioner (and idler on diesel) is usually OK to at least 100k miles.

Look after the cooling system and keep a sharp eye on the radiator for leaks.

Peugeot 106 Life Expectancy - autumnboy
As many would say " How long is a piece of string"