Which Tom Tom ? - none
I don't know if anyone can help, but here goes.
I'm thinking of buying a Tom Tom satnav thingy, and can't make my mind up between a Go300 and a One. As far as I can find out the processors and display are different, and obviously the 300 has a few more other features. Bearing in mind that I just want to go from A to B using postcodes or road names, and avoiding (for example) low bridges, would the One be as good as the 300 ?
Cheers, Steve.
Which Tom Tom ? - Pugugly {P}
There's a bargain over on Classified Ads.

Brilliant bit of kit - go for the best you can afford though. Outshines std. BMW kit by the way. Have a look at TT site
Which Tom Tom ? - 007
Until recently I had the Tom Tom Classic (the immediate predecessor to the 300) and was very pleased with it. Tom Tom were offering to update the Classic with latest maps, post code search etc.....I believe for £70.

I was so impressed by the spec of the 'One' (it will do everything I need and more) that I decided to sell the Classic and add the £70 to what I got for it and to treat myself to the 'One'.....which gives me non-reflective screen and other goodies which the up-date would not have included.

Here; www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/one/refman/Main_menu_EN_UK....l
you have the manual for the 'One'...as far as I know it does not offer to give you a route which avoids low bridges...unless someone else knows of a device which does this, you may have to get routes from the AA site when such information is essential.

There should be some very good prices for the 'One' in Jan sales. PC World were recently offering it at £219 on-line!
Which Tom Tom ? - 007
....and, here, is the manual for the '300'.

www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/go5/refman/Main_menu_eng.ht...l
Which Tom Tom ? - none
Thanks Pug, I've heard the same thing (Tom Tom vs. in car systems). I did check the classified ads, but was a bit unsure about the missing CD bit.
Thanks 007, are they really as good as the manuals suggest ?
If they are, the Tom Tom one will do nicely ! and it's £50 or so cheaper than the 300.
Which Tom Tom ? - 007
Thanks 007, are they really as good as the manuals suggest?

You will not be disappointed!! Get'One'!!

Which Tom Tom ? - Avant
Thank you so much for that. I've just got a Go 300 with part of my Christmas bonus and haven't had time to try it yet. This may make it more likely to work!
Which Tom Tom ? - 007

None.....here is some more info for you:

www.lordpercy.com/tomtom_one.htm
Which Tom Tom ? - Stuartli
A recent test of satnav models on Fifth Gear concluded that the TomTom One was the best for a number of reasons, including screen size.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Which Tom Tom ? - Lounge Lizard
Is there a Sat. Nav. into which you can feed a OS Grid Reference?

Or can they all do it, or is this a silly question?
Which Tom Tom ? - dom grimes
the main reason the tomtom one is better as I inderstand is that is has the latest type of gps reciever which locks on faster and hold the signal better. having used the tomtom 5 on a PDA and the tomtom one in a lorry my vote is for the tomtom one.

dominic
Which Tom Tom ? - IanW1977
Tom Tom one takes no time finding a GPS Signal compared to the older GPS Models.
Touch screen is a bit fiddly though and I haven't got big fingers although you can use a Stylus.
Which Tom Tom ? - 007
From the word 'Go' (sorry about the pun!) I have used the rubber end of an ordinary pencil (remember those?) to tap screen. This works a treat and avoids an accumulation of sticky finger marks.

HTH
Which Tom Tom ? - none
It happens to all of us at some time, the minute after you buy something, the price plummets. Well it happens the other way round as well.
I was in Argos on Saturday to buy a dustbuster, mainly for car cleaning. I'd decided to leave the Tom Tom until the boxing day sales. Checked Argos prices again on Xmas day and guess what - all Tom Tom prices have increased by about 50 quid. I'll give it a couple more days !
The dustbuster's too powerful as well, anything within six feet of it's twin exhaust gets blasted out of sight - including stuff that I'd planned to hoover up. I'd wondered why it was half price !
Which Tom Tom ? - BobbyG
TomTom 300 on sale at PC World and Comet according to advert in yesterday's paper. "Down" to £249.99
Which Tom Tom ? - David Horn
A bit of pleading got another 30 quid off the Tom Tom One in Halfords yesterday, we bought two (one for my dad, one for my brother) for £249.99 each.
Which Tom Tom ? - jc
Just remember if you use one that sticks to the screen,it leaves marks,so that even if you remove it and it's holder,your local lowlifes will break into your motor to look for it under the seats or in the glovebox.
Which Tom Tom ? - henry k
And just remember not to take voice instructions as accurate all the time.

I am still awaiting a sensible response from Tom Tom other than the cop out - reboot it.
Which Tom Tom ? - Collos25
Having just spend allafternoon looking atSat navs here in Germany withmy son Ihaveconcluded the Sony with the 2gb hard drive and all Europeloaded for 499? is by far the best with more options than I could list,the Tom Tom range seem alittle stone age after the Sony.
Which Tom Tom ? - 007
Put us out of our misery, None....Have you taken the plunge yet? Carphone Warehouse were making the best offer when I last looked.

When you eventually get it, you can find answers to FAQ's here:
www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&TT=jv1...6

and there is a forum for sat-nav owners here:
www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/

HTH
Which Tom Tom ? - Rhubarb
Hi all.

There is also a Tom Tom specific forum here: www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/

Andy
Which Tom Tom ? - barchettaman
Andy B, where did you see the Sony? I´m based in Germany and am having trouble finding anything at Uk prices.
Which Tom Tom ? - DavidHM
Barchettaman, try tinyurl.com/dd3zk

Careful though - it looks like Media Markt, but I don't think it is. (Bear in mind that Media Markt's slogan is "ich bin doch nicht bloed...")
Which Tom Tom ? - DavidHM
Actually, looking at it the Ts & Cs state that the company's full name is media markt online GmbH and they are based at VVankelstrasse 5, 85046 Ingolstadt (motoring link) which is also where the real Media Markt operates out of. So if it is trading off the established brand name it is doing so very, very carefully indeed.
Cheers DavidHM. I will tread carefully!
Which Tom Tom ? - Altea Ego
BM

www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/sony_navigation....l

339 pounds

I have doubts about its stock level tho, most outlets didnt have any before xmas......
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which Tom Tom ? - smokie
I'm dithering over whether to get the family a late Xmas pressie of a TomTom 700. The idea would be that it sits indoors until someone needs it.

Are the mounts for these essential, if so, are they easily removable (I mean very easily - rubber sucker or suchlike)? Or would I need to buy 4, one for each car?

Is TomTom traffic any good, and could it easily be used with different GPRS phones?
Which Tom Tom ? - henry k
I'm dithering over whether to get the family a late Xmas
pressie of a TomTom 700.

>>
I am very impressed with the mapping on the Tom Tom 500.
Some instructions like "In 300 yard do a U turn" were impressively spot on accurate.

I am ,however, hacked off with trying to get sense out of their so called support.

My Tom Tom gives correct maps but the voice directions at several places are totally wrong.
e.g. Bear left when the road goes right
Or 4th exit at a roundabout, which would mean an about turn, when it should be 2nd exit.
These are both familiar routes, one I have used 1000s of times.
I was trialing it and it was otherwise good.
I will keep trying to get decent answers.
Rant off.
Which Tom Tom ? - Altea Ego
You can rant away at TomTom as much as you like, you wont get mapping or direction errors cant be fixed until the next release of software or maps, so save your breath.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which Tom Tom ? - smokie
Just *impulse bought* the 700 for £412.50 - seems a very good price...
Which Tom Tom ? - BobbyG
£412 would buy you a helluva lot of maps!! :)

Interesting how sat-nav has became the "norm" for so many people. Re the recent story of a woman given a fixed penalty for stopping on the motorway hard shoulder to ask police directions. Someone wrote in to the paper saying she deserved this as "everyone has access to sat-nav eqpt now and there are no excuses for getting lost" !!!
Which Tom Tom ? - R75

The 700 comes with all the maps of Europe, now I would be surprised if you could get all the mapping the 700 comes with for less then £412, I use a PDA based TT5 and apart from the odd spoken direction that is incorrect (Display map is correct though) I find it a god send, but I do have to check the route first by browsing the map to make sure it has not routed me under a low bridge - but I have a POI database installed that tells me where most of them are.

Much safer and quicker then paper maps.
Which Tom Tom ? - NowWheels

It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as one accident caused by trying to read a map or identify street names whilst driving.

I never had an accident that way, but I have spent an awful lot of time clocking up unnecessary miles trying to find my way through impenetrable strange towns -- especially Manchester, which I am convinced is not so much of a city as a huge machine for getting lost in.
Which Tom Tom ? - Adam {P}
Having just come home from the GMEX, I can say for once, I agree with NW. Never have I driven through such an ill conceived system.
Which Tom Tom ? - NowWheels
Having just come home from the GMEX, I can say for
once, I agree with NW. Never have I driven through such
an ill conceived system.

Ah, GMEX. I've been there lots of times by car, sometimes more than once on the same day.

Unfortunately, I have never actually wanted to drive there -- I just end up there when Madchester's demented one-way system sends me round in a spiral to disorientate me and then desposits me at one of the many junctions where nowhere useful is signposted.

I reckon it's all a cunning plan to profit from the introduction of road-pricing. Anyone who doesn't know the city inside-out will pay a fortune for the unnecessary miles they will clock up when they enter the city.

Every year, hundreds of people in the UK go missing without trace, and I suspect that a large proprtion of them are to be found driving around Madchester in a route resembling a ball of string after a cat has played with for a week.
Which Tom Tom ? - smokie
"£412 would buy you a helluva lot of maps!! :)"

But I didn't want a helluva lot of maps! :-)
Thanks for the tip on the Sony, RenaultFamily. I hadn´t considered those.
The Europe maps all coming pre-loaded is a clincher for us.
Think we´ll wait ´til the summer, then go for it.
Which Tom Tom ? - colinh
This seems to be a useful site for pricing GPS, photography, computers, etc., in Germany.

www.geizhals.at/eu/?o=17

TomTom GO 700 at 570 euros - don't appear to have the new Sony yet, but have the other models.
Which Tom Tom ? - none
I eventually bought a Tom Tom One. Apart from Argos, Halfords were the only local retailers with a ONE in stock - both full retail price as well !
Very impressed. One problem though - if anyone can help ? When I first tried it I messed about with a few imaginary routes, place names etc. Now I find that these 'test' routes are stored permanently - they pop up every time I use the thing. I've tried the TT website, and the CD manual, but I can't find a way of deleting these start points.
There is a 'backup or restore' option on the CD and a reset button on the unit. According to TT the reset button should never be needed in normal use !
Anyone know ??
Which Tom Tom ? - Navara Van man
There is an option to cancel the route once you reach the destination, comes up in top corner I think.
Which Tom Tom ? - none
Gard, it's the text address's I want to delete. They're at the top of the display.
They may be acesible under preferances. I shall get my one and have a try.
Had a try... no joy
Which Tom Tom ? - none
Gard, I spotted rhubarbs post reference Tom Tom forum. Apparently the lists can't be deleted, but it's only about twenty items long. As new start / destination points are added the older ones drop off the end. Eventually I'll end up with only relevant recent entries.
Cheers anyway, Steve.