Renault Clio cam belts - Keith
Hello

My Clio's cam belt broke recently. Having investigated, Renault quote 72K miles for replacement; we've done 57K. Renault have also advised that they would not consider any compensation as the car (a) is not currently being repaired at a Renault dealer, and (b) has not been regularly serviced by a Renault dealer. (This is not unrelated to the fact that the two nearest Renault franchises have ceased trading in the last three years).

Since the car has had full and regular servicing by a good local independent garage, I'm unimpressed by Renault's attitude. What are my chances of getting anything out of them?

P.S. I think HJ's comments on replacement at 35-40K are very valid! If I knew then what I know now...
Re: Renault Clio cam belts - Tom Shaw
If the car is out of the warranty period I don't think you have any case at all. There is also generally a time limit as well as milage on cambelts, you don't say what age the car is.

If the car is still under warranty, you may have a case even though you have not used a main agent for the servicing provided it has been carried out to schedule. If Renault won't play ball, however, it could take an expensive legal action with no gaurantee of any joy. You may have to cough up and put it down to experience.