Petrol Inyer Diesel - pullgees
There's an RAC ad that warns not to even start your car if you accidently put unleaded in you diesel car, but it doesn't tell you why or how your car would run if you did drive off and goes on to warn you of horrific costs for repairs. I wonder if they are being a bit alarmist here. I would have thought that it depends on what percentage of petrol you have mixed in the diesel already in the tank, but I'm not an expert on the matter. Just what is the risk of putting petrol in a diesel?
Petrol Inyer Diesel - Hamsafar
Some manufacturers recommend putting up to 10% petrol in during cold winter months - but as of around 5 years ago, more advanced diesel engines (common rail) took over and these would be harmed by this.
That said, I'm sure there is a lot of eggageration and over-simplificatio here, it depends on the engine and the amount of diesel. The advert is to scare you into joining the RAC - nothing else.
Petrol Inyer Diesel - Xileno {P}
Lots to read here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=36...2
Petrol Inyer Diesel - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think that, even with modern common rail engines, you can get away with some petrol in your diesel. I put 5 litres of petrol in and topped off with 40 litres of diesel 10K miles ago in a Pug Hdi and no problems to date. However, I think that if this becomes a warranty matter all components of the system will be chaged at your expense or you can do what I did and hope for the best. If you decline to have the components changed then the engine aspect of your warranty will almost certainly be suspended. I shok is correct in saying that years ago petrol was used to thin diesel which had gelled in low temeratures. However both the fuel and the engine technology have moved on since then and I don't think diesel thickening up at low temps is a problem any more