Re-test? - local yokel
If cars need a test at three years old, and every year thereafter, why do drivers, including and particularly PSV/LGV, get to go for ever (unless they have a major driving conviction/medical condition) without a re-test?
Re-test? - Adam {P}
Because it takes months to get "normal" test as it is. Adding more strain onto the system would cause it to collapse.
Re-test? - R75
we don't get to go forever (lgv/psv licence holders). You have to have a medical to get your provisional then re-take the medical at age 45, then every 5 years up to 70 (I think!!) then every year from then. How often as a car driver do you need a medical?
Re-test? - Phil I
This is why I think the current situation with over 70 age drivers is so ridiculous. Lgv/Psv have annual tests after 70. Ordinary licence holders merely have to complete a declaration every three years. This dependant solely on the drivers word with no corrobation from any other person that he has no physical problems that make him/her an unfit driver. The responsibility should rest with the drivers GP but this has proven to be unsatisfactory due to the GP's reluctance to notify DVLA. There should be an annual medical exam for all over 70's without exception.
Re-test? - Phil I
And this exam should be by an independant medical person...
Re-test? - kithmo
Age discimination I call it. ;-)
Why not make everybody take a retest every 5 or 10 years, think of the revenue, the jobs created and the number of numbskulls (would probably include myself in that category sometimes) that would be removed from our already overcrowded roads. I for one would gladly take a test every 5 or 10 years, I don't know if I'd pass, but it would be a good way to update my skills and knowledge of the latest highway codes and other legislation to do with driving. Just a point of view.
Re-test? - Robin Reliant
Imagine coming home on the bus after you'd failed, having to arrange for somenoe to collect your car and phoning your boss to hand in your resignation because your job involves driving or you can't get public transport to your work.

Then facing losing your home because you can't pay the mortgage and getting re-housed on a sink estate. Every body thinks regular re-testing is a good idea until the full implications are spelt out. You don't have to be a bad driver to fail, just unlucky or nervous on the day or draw an examiner who takes a dislike to you or who has had a rollicking because his pass rate is too high.

I saw it all at first hand for nearly twenty years, believe me you wouldn't want to go there.