Huge Explosion - SjB {P}
At sleep this morning after a flight back from Shanghai, I was awoken by a huge explosion that shook the house for some seconds and set off countless car alarms. It really woke the neighbourhood too, litterally This was at 06:02 according to the bedroom clock. My wife and I could only imagine that an aircraft had crashed as over time there were more, smaller, explosions. By now very wide awake, we turned on BBC News 24 to hear eye witness reports that a fuel depot near M1 J8 has exploded. Does any BRer no more?
Huge Explosion - SjB {P}
I should have added, we live in Aylesbury, Bucks.
Huge Explosion - local yokel
Heard the same - all the pheasants set off for about five minutes. I'm 27 miles from the oil depot that is reported to have exploded.

Expect that motor fuel deliveries in the area will be affected.
Huge Explosion - storme
just seen it on tv....
--
www.storme.co.uk
Huge Explosion - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4517962.stm
Huge Explosion - Oz
One authority (police?) stated the fumes are not toxic.
In that case, neither are car exhaust fumes.
Oz (as was)
Huge Explosion - Manatee
Was also woken by what I took to be a huge gust of wind rattling the doors and windows - we are at least 10 miles away. Not sure what proportion of road fuel comes from here but it's a substantial depot fed by pipelines and supplies will presumably be affected materially.
Huge Explosion - mare
Two to one that someone on this forum will be complaining about the M1 being shut by the end of the day.
Huge Explosion - David Horn
I was woken in LEEDS this morning, with my housemates wandering around the house trying to work out what had happened. We thought it was someone messing around with fireworks nearby, to be honest.

Can only imagine what it must have been like only 20 miles away.
Huge Explosion - Waino
Huge Explosion - mare
Huge Explosion - Waino
Huge Explosion - Doc
It looks like the smoke cloud has reached south London-it's getting dark here!

Don't panic! - Doc
From BBC site:

Motorists urged not to panic-buy

Police and petrol companies have urged motorists not to panic-buy fuel after the explosions at the Buncefield depot.
As reports come in of long queues at petrol stations, authorities said there were sufficient alternative supplies for London and the South East.

The Petrol Retailers Association said there would be only "short term disruption to supply".

"No-one should be concerned about availability for fuel over the next few days," it added.

The Buncefield site may be a main supplier for the South East and London regions, but there were a number of other depots and storage facilities that would be able to fill the gap, authorities said.

We have no indication at this stage that this explosion will cause fuel shortages.

"We strongly advise against this as recent events have shown that panic-buying alone can cause fuel shortages."

Don't panic! - Altea Ego
at 12:30, Northeast Surrey, dark layered cloud patches are drifting over, its the fire, you can smell it, and it has very sharp edges to the clouds.
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Don't panic! - Altea Ego
Can I use my foglights (sorry sporty lights) now?
Don't panic! - Armitage Shanks {p}
An 'informed source' has just told BBC News 24 that the smoke from the fire is not toxic and does not present a health hazard!! So, no breathing gear for the firemen, and they'll be collecting the stuff and putting it into gas cylinders for people with asthma to inhale in hospital. Somehow I don't think so! Who are these experts and why do we give credence to what they say?
Don't panic! - Altea Ego
Lets be clear, Its Toxic. They are trying not to panic people. If it rains we are going to get oily sooty rain on our cars down stream
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Imagos
Those of you with long memories will remember a simular incident at the Flixborough depot, Lincolnshire in 1974.

Certainly on the same scale.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - David Horn
Out on my bike this morning there were already long queues forming at the open petrol stations.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Roberson
If it hadn't been for me coming on here, I wouldn't have known it had happened!

Don't know about panic buying but its a great excuse to put fuel prices up.

I feel sorry for those to which this is going to rain upon, nice bit of acid rain. You may also get a bit of climate change in the effected areas (cooling) similar to those experienced during big volcano eruptions.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Pugugly {P}
cooling ?

I would have thought the opposite would be the case this time of the year.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Roberson
Whoops, yes. Thats more likely this time of year. Had it been summer, then it would be cooling.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - frazerjp
Mum & Dad heard a booming sound in the house at High Wycombe.

Will be interesting if fuel prices & availability will be affected?!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Hamsafar
I am amazed by the amount of offical information which is obviously lies, spin and conflicting info...and they have the cheek to call the Russians and Chinese!
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Lounge Lizard
Those of you with long memories will remember a simular incident
at the Flixborough depot, Lincolnshire in 1974.
Certainly on the same scale.

>>

Let's hope not; doesn't look like it so far. 28 people killed in Flixborough 1974.
Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Altea Ego
Wasnt flixborough a nasty chemical explosion, doixin cloud?

Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - Another John H
Wasnt flixborough a nasty chemical explosion, doixin cloud?

www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech/caseflixboroug74.htm

or, from

www.gexcon.com/index.php?src=handbook/GEXHBchap1.h...m

The cause of the Flixborough explosion was a release of about 50 tons of cyclohexane, probably due to failure of a temporary pipe. The flammable cloud was ignited about 1 minute or so after the release. A very violent explosion occurred. The blast was equivalent to an explosion of about 16 tons of TNT.

Don't panic! Mr mainwaring - nortones2
Flixborough was a process plant: bellows section of pipe carrying flammable liquid at temperature failed: gas cloud ignited. Killed 32 I believe.
Don't panic! - Andrew-T
TVM - "Lets be clear, Its Toxic."

When it's all over, count up the dead, and if there are any, then it MAY have been toxic. I haven't heard of any dying under the big black cloud yet?
Fuel-buying morons - greenhey

{Thread merged with "huge explosion" as discussion relating to this already going on. DD}

Just like when we had the refinery blockades , it only seems to take a few hours to bring hundreds of morons out ,desperate to squeeze fuel into their tanks.
This morning by 1030 one of the Tescos in Aylesbury had to cope with a queue of vehicles at the filling station, which reached back to the entrance. This was despite police announcements that there are contingency plans to supply filling stations normally serviced from Buncefield.
It makes me really angry and sorry for the few people who genuinely needed fueltoday. I dread to think how we will cope if our society ever suffers any real, prolonged crisis.
In this respect, it would help if filling stations switched to a rule in these circumstances:

YOU WILL BE CHARGED £15. IF YOU CAR CAN ACCEPT £15-WORTH OF FUEL ,IT WILL BE LIMITED TO THAT .IF IT CANNOT , THE BALANCE WILL GO TO CHILDREN IN NEED. IF YOU CO NOT ACCEPT THIS CONDITION, GO ELSEWHERE.
Fuel-buying morons - local yokel
I'd make it £25.00 min charge - there are very few cars that take less than £30.00 for a proper fill up, and very few people who need >75% full at any time.
Fuel-buying morons - dom grimes
excellent idea, have these half wits got nothing better to do.
Fuel-buying morons - Tomo
Well, yes.

We in the North have no doubt that fuel will be diverted to the all important South East as wanted and there should be no panicking.....

On the other hand it will have to be diverted from somewhere and I have filled up Sonata's nearly empty tank, as my personal reserve!
Fuel-buying morons - Altea Ego
Fuel-buying morons - Tomo
Fuel-buying morons - Adam {P}
I only ever stick 20 quid in. Only ever will stick 20 quid in. When the light comes on, I put 20 quid in. No earlier.

Granted it's because it lessens the pain of filling up - paying 20 quid rather than near 50 doesn't seem as bad!
Fuel-buying morons - Roberson
If only everyone did that.

Same for me really. I put £10 per week in, every Wednesday night. Shall I do any different? No. (Unless I run short of course). Thing is, putting that amount in, people probably think that I?m panic buying too, but that?s enough to get me 120miles, which is practically all the miles I?ll do in a week.

I must be honest, when I heard of it, the thought of going out and filling my tank NEVER crossed my mind. Just assumed that other remaining 4 larger storage yards would make up the ?shortage?.
Fuel-buying morons - jc
According to some reports most was aviation fuel anyway!
Fuel-buying morons - kithmo
Fuel-buying morons - jc
Fuel-buying morons - Armitage Shanks {p}
The problem, as I see it, is that very few people give credence to any 'official' announcements (see my post above re the allegation that these fire fumes are not toxic.) Some idiot minster was shown on TV years ago feeding his daughter a wholesome beefburger (completely safe!). A few years later our beef was banned all over the world and millions of cows were slaughtered at our expense. A few weeks ago the Government said don't panic buy fuel hurricane Katrina won't affect anything and so everybody went out and brimmed their tanks - not because they needed to but because they had been officially told that thay DIDN'T need to!!
Fuel-buying morons - Waino
Don't joke....I may be driving down to Tasmania for Christmas rather than flying!
Fuel-buying morons - sierraman
I only ever stick 20 quid in. Only ever will stick
20 quid in. When the light comes on, I put 20
quid in. No earlier.
Granted it's because it lessens the pain of filling up -
paying 20 quid rather than near 50 doesn't seem as bad!

I also only put 20 or 25 in,but my reason is so that I am not using more fuel by carrying the weight of fuel,especially if I already have a load in the back.
Fuel-buying morons - David Horn
I only ever stick 20 quid in. Only ever will stick
20 quid in. When the light comes on, I put 20
quid in. No earlier.
Granted it's because it lessens the pain of filling up -
paying 20 quid rather than near 50 doesn't seem as bad!

[cynic]
If you put 50 quid in, it'll last longer... ;)
[/cynic]
Fuel-buying morons - Pugugly {P}
]
If you put 50 quid in, it'll last longer... ;)

Being even more cynical, leaving more to be syphoned out by thieves.
Oh yeah - the er.....weight saving - well that's what I meant before - honest!

I have to say, I don't see the point in filling the tank. I drive past countless petrol stations each day so it's not like I have to go out of my way to find some.

Plus, driving with the light on takes the monotony out of driving.
Fuel-buying morons - Stuartli
>>We in the North have no doubt that fuel will be diverted to the all important South East as wanted and there should be no panicking.....>>

Do you not know of Ellesmere Port, Preston and various other petrol depots in the North...?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Fuel-buying morons - drbe
We in the North have no doubt that fuel will be
diverted to the all important South East as wanted and there
should be no panicking.....

>>

Quite right too!
Fuel-buying morons - mss1tw
YOU WILL BE CHARGED £15. IF YOU CAR CAN ACCEPT £15-WORTH
OF FUEL ,IT WILL BE LIMITED TO THAT .IF IT CANNOT
, THE BALANCE WILL GO TO CHILDREN IN NEED. IF YOU
CO NOT ACCEPT THIS CONDITION, GO ELSEWHERE.

That's actaully a really good idea..
Fuel-buying morons - Citroënian {P}
Well, it didn't occur to me to panic buy until the TV warned me not to panic. Took all three cars and brimmed them, seemed the logical thing to do ;-)
--Lee .. sorry, the card says Moops.
Fuel-buying morons - Roberson
Just as an observation, panic buying fuel in the North East doesn't seem to have reached the levels of those down south. The forecourts are a bit busier, but not exactly packed. I'd say, they're about 20% busier than normal. Are they still queuing up near you?
Don't panic! - greenhey
Despite everything, Tuesday pm locally garages had queues and some had sold out .This is more than 48 hours after the event , and after repeated messages that the only possibility of a shortage is because of panic buying.
Huge Explosion - Oz
It looks like the smoke cloud has reached south London-it's
getting dark here!

Eclipse of the sun in the Camberley/Farnborough area.

Oz (as was)
Huge Explosion - Sofa Spud
15.26 hrs. Frome, Somerset:

To the east, what looks like a dissipated layer of thin black smoke has become increasingly visible during the afternoon. We're over 100 miles from Hemel!

The TV satellite photo showed smoke spreading east, west and south from the explosion site, but not north. It showed the westward extent of the smoke as the Newbury area at around mid-day.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Huge Explosion - Hamsafar
Don't worry, the almighty John Prescott is on his way tp the scene.
Huge Explosion - Altea Ego
which jag is he going in?

Huge Explosion - Adam {P}
RF you cynic you. He'll take a helicopter....

...a Chinook or something to fly his Jag up there and then drive around in that.
Huge Explosion - Mutton Geoff
The image on the Dundee Satellite imaging site of southern UK is quite bad. Here's a link (registration is free).

www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/abin/projection/ster/uk/2005/...g

It seems to have spread south in a circle bounded by Swindon, Guildford and Southend.

Huge Explosion - Stuartli
The smoke has now reached France and Holland it seems.

We know someone who lives about a mile away and it blew out his loft window, but no other damage.

It is really absolutely amazing that no one was killed and that the two seriously affected from the 39 injured will, it is stated, recover over time. The reason would appear to be the fact it was so early on a Sunday morning.

One lucky survivor stated the building in which he was in on the site collapsed all around him, but his only injury was a bruised knee after he jumped out of a window...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
246,000 car tankfuls equiv. up in smoke!
Enough to go 107,000,000 miles at 30mpg!
4,283 times around the world!
61 times to the moon and back!
Huge Explosion - Pugugly {P}
uncatalysed.
Huge Explosion - mss1tw

What a horrible waste of fuel. Especially seeing it go up as a big black cloud. At least car engines burn it cleanly.
Huge Explosion - Adam {P}
It's a cleaner cloud than those you see coming out of the back of HDi's ;-)

Kidding kidding!
Huge Explosion - mss1tw
It's a cleaner cloud than those you see coming out of
the back of HDi's ;-)
Kidding kidding!

The cheek!

I wonder how many gallons per mile of sky there are now...
It looks a bit like the output from the Tourvan aux heater. Less dense (the refinery fire)
Huge Explosion - Another John H

A drop in the ocean:

about 25,000,000 cars on the road in the UK.

Fewer than 5 miles each at 30 mpg.
Huge Explosion - drbe
The image on the Dundee Satellite imaging site of southern UK
is quite bad. Here's a link (registration is free).

Why do they need my address?
Huge Explosion - drbe
Some very silly comments on Channel 4. The Director of Logistics at Total said, 'we have an exemplary safety record'. No! I don't think so! What's that black cloud behind you?

'The M1 is shut, drivers have been asked to use an alternative route' What did they think drivers would do if they didn't ask them to do that?
Huge Explosion - Blue {P}
In all fairness though things can and will go wrong eventually. I've not long watched some News 24 coverage when they had a panel of experts in answering e-mails, some of the comments were moronic in the extreme.

They reminded me of the woman I was talking to this morning who told me un no uncertain terms that she KNEW that powercuts should never occur anymore, and she knows because her son works with computers or something. Hmmm... the best computer in the world isn't going to be much use when there's a high voltage fault or a substation catches fire is it? As I told her, these things happen.

Blue
Huge Explosion - THe Growler
>>>>>An 'informed source' has just told BBC News 24 that the smoke from the fire is not toxic and does not present a health hazard!!

I was watching BBC World here in the tropics and the reporter announced that the smoke was "carcinogenic but not toxic". Er, is there a difference or simply a fine distinction I must have missed?! I know the Beeb's news quality is getting worse and worse with all their reporters now trained to talk up everything they see into a drama but I don't think even Fox would say that!

Get ready to be cleaning greasy soot off your vehicles for some time. Reminds me of when Saddam left Kuwait and set all those oil wells on fire. In Bahrain everything was covered with oily soot.
Huge Explosion - SlidingPillar
Well, I'm just glad the wind direction has changed, the plume was blowing right over my house, just south of St Albans all day yesterday. It may be the light, but looks to have a fair amount of steam content now, which is to be expected after the fire fighters got the go ahead.

The windscreen on the car did look to have oil droplets on it yesterday, but the windscreen wipers handled it ok, although the washer fluid is now concetrated against freezing.

May yet have to get the meths out, but at least it should protect against rust rather than cause it!

Huge Explosion - Brill {P}
If you're caught driving in air pollution, what's the best setting for air in the car?

Radio report says "don't use your air con". but wouldn't that be the best option with 'recycle' activated?

Or would it be best to turn air con off as suggested, but hit the 'recycle' button.

What's the problem with having recyle air con on? Must be better than letting all the crud air in through the vents. Can someone enlighted please.

Huge Explosion - Gromit {P}
Growler asked: "I was watching BBC World here in the tropics and the reporter announced that the smoke was "carcinogenic but not toxic". Er, is there a difference or simply a fine distinction I must have missed?!"

Yes, there is a distinction: "toxic" indicates that short-term exposure to the substance can be fatal. The risk of developing cancer from most substances termed "carcinogenic" becomes significant when you are exposed to the substance over a long time.

So, for example, exposure to these levels of smoke over a few days until it disperses would not be as risky as, say, working in an enclosed warehouse with a diesel-engined forklift truck throughout your working life.

As to why approval was needed to use fire-fighting foam, the foam is a mix of nitrogenated bulls blood and fluorinated surfactants which form a stable foam at high temperature. It doesn't degrade well, so as another poster rightly pointed out, its wiser not to start using it until you can complete the job properly.

In many cases, oil fires are also allowed burn themselves out - its far safer than sending fire crews in among the tanks full of fuel that haven't (yet) ruptured! The priority will be to contain the fire so surrounding property isn't damaged.

- Gromit
Huge Explosion - henry k
The image on the Dundee Satellite imaging site of southern UK is quite bad. Here's a link (registration is free).

>>
Or
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4518026.stm
See "in Pictures" - seen from space.
BBC showing Dundee photos.
Huge Explosion - pdc {P}
The muppets in stoke are starting to queue at the local supermarket for fuel.
Huge Explosion - Armitage Shanks {p}
The reason for this is that "The Official Line" says we don't need to panic buy. When this comes from an organisation that told us that beef was safe to eat etc, people don't believe it. We are lied to so often and so convincingly that we have become very cycnical - well I have!
Agreed, I think a good dose of cynicsm is needed nowadays, just like when John Prescott told us all here in the north east to vote in favour of a regional assembly. The instant assumption made by most people was that there was something in it for him, and probably a major downside for us, I'm pleased that we all gave the idea a good kicking... :-)

Blue
Huge Explosion - Happy Blue!
Can someone please tell me why they had to wait for environment go-ahead to use the foam?

Firstly, the foam presumably has been developed over the years to be as kind to the environment as possible and it to be use as quickly as possible. Delaying using it becuase of environmental concerns defeats the purpose.

Secondly, the longer the fires burn, the more pollution is released into the atmosphere, where it can do the most damage.

We all know that the most efficient way to burn fuel is in a controlled environment, like inside an engine with a catalyst at the end of the exhaust manifold.

Which do-gooders got involved?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Huge Explosion - Bromptonaut
Espada,

There was, according to media reports, a concern that stuff could end up in aquifers from which drinking water is extracted. I'd guess the issue is the sheer quantity they need to use, way beyond the normal scenario against which environmental impact is tested.

Must already be a risk with run off of water already used to cool/contain fire and water co were reported to have revised testing procedures to i/d anything.
Huge Explosion - Nsar
Firefighting foam isn't just fairy liquid.
Its the sheer quantity of the stuff. They have sucked up nearly all the UKs supply of foam concentrate. They will be pouring millions and millions of litres of stuff onto this.
The foam used to be derived from cow's blood! Prhaps there is some newer version! All these tanks are "Bunded" - this means that each tank has a containing wall round it which can contain the complete contents if it burst. Thus a 3 million gallon tank can have 3 million gallons of foam/water mix applied to it without there being any spillage into an aquifer.
Huge Explosion - Haardvark
The foam used to be derived from cow's blood! Prhaps
there is some newer version! All these tanks are
"Bunded" - this means that each tank has a containing wall
round it which can contain the complete contents if it burst.
Thus a 3 million gallon tank can have 3 million gallons
of foam/water mix applied to it without there being any spillage
into an aquifer.

But a burst 3 million gallon tank would use up that bunded space, so any foam would run off the top, surely?

Also, not sure if the whole area is bunded to the extent that it can contain all of the seperate tanks contents if they burst?

HV
Huge Explosion - smokie
I was drinking with my mate last night who works for one of the foam producers. So far they hadn't been asked for supplies but he felt that the situation will help the company vastly at it's year end... They usually reckon on at least one major a year, this one was just a bit late in coming...

It's pointless starting with the foam until there's enough there to finish the job apparently.
But a burst 3 million gallon tank would use up that
bunded space, so any foam would run off the top, surely?
Also, not sure if the whole area is bunded to the
extent that it can contain all of the seperate tanks contents
if they burst?
HV

And while I'm at it...

What effect would two days of raging fires have on the bunding, and any drainage systems.

I've seen bunded areas, sure, but they are designed to catch spillage I would imagine, not designed for these conditions I would suggest.
The bunding is huge earth banks so they certainly won't burn and from the look of the fire so far there isn't much left of any one tank's contents to overfill its catchment area ie I think there is probably still plenty of room for foam and water around each tank. The bunded areas are not drained as that would defeat the object of catching any spills or escaped liquid If a tank leaks the contents are held within the bunded area.
The bunding is huge earth banks so they certainly won't burn
and from the look of the fire so far there isn't
much left of any one tank's contents to overfill its catchment
area ie I think there is probably still plenty of room
for foam and water around each tank. The bunded areas
are not drained as that would defeat the object of catching
any spills or escaped liquid If a tank leaks the
contents are held within the bunded area.

The bunded areas must have some kind of drainage, or they would turn into lakes! I understand that they would not drain freely into water courses - that would kind of defeat the point. There would be some sort of trap or mechanism in place somewhere - and how would they stand up to the conditions.

Hope they have been more careful since this (another couple of feet of earth needed perhaps?):

www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/Notice_details.asp?...0
Huge Explosion - Group B
The bunded areas must have some kind of drainage, or they
would turn into lakes! I understand that they would not
drain freely into water courses - that would kind of defeat
the point. There would be some sort of trap or
mechanism in place somewhere - and how would they stand up
to the conditions.

The bunds we design are usually reinforced concrete (on a smaller scale than at the fuel depot). If required we sometimes incorporate falls and a sump, so if too much rainwater collects, they can pump it out. In summer the rainwater usually just evaporates off.
We dont design earth ones, but they should have some form of impermeable liner, eg. concrete, or 1 metre thick clay, for example.

Re: Red Adair, my dad was talking to someone who worked for an oil company a few months ago. He was saying that if you ring Red Adair's office, you get a recorded message which says, "If you wish to be put through to this office, you will automatically incur a £25000 connection charge."!
Wish we had one of those at our office, would get rid of a few whinging clients!
Huge Explosion - Jim M
I guess they have been waiting until all is in place.
Foam puts a film on top of burning liquid and deprives fire of oxygen. Heat is only removed by cooling therefore if foam skin is not maintained re-ignition will occur hence there must be enough foam to cover and maintain. One problem will be getting blanket in place the air convection / updrafts will make it extremely difficult. It maybe better to let it burn a little longer until liquids with a low ignition point all burnt out. Firemaster must be very strong and only move when he is ready.
Red Adairs biggest asset was the ability to tell everybody to leave him and his men alone until he and his equipment were ready to go.
Re-ignition is the major hazard, they will be cooling the place for a long time (week?) after the flames are out.
Good luck Mr Firemaster and don't let the panic merchants force your hand.
Jim
Huge Explosion - bikemade3
Foam will be AFFF, Aquious Film Forming Foam, works by starving the fire of Oxygen.

Ok the fire briagade is pumping 32,000 litres of foam/water per minute, onto the fire

thats 1,920,000 litres an hour. They have been at it for 12 hours so 23 million litres so far. give them another 12 hours maybe thats 46 million litres.

How do you contain 46 million litres of foam/water?

Huge Explosion - Dalglish
thats 1,920,000 litres an hour
How do you contain 46 million litres of foam/water?

>>

easy - notice the white clouds? that's what most of it is turning in to. that's where they "loose" it.

D'oh. M1 closed again.
They've suspended the effort, pending the identfication of an unknown chemical ikn a tank.........makes you wonder.
Huge Explosion - Sofa Spud
>>They've suspended the effort, pending the identfication of an unknown chemical ikn a tank.........makes you wonder.

Surely knowing what is in each tank is one of the most basic elements of managing a fuel terminal like Buncefield.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
That's what I would have thought. Well they've sent the true heroes of the whole thing back in again.
It all seems very fishy to me.
They are supposed to have built-in foam systems in these places, I have seen them tested in drills at other terminals in the 1980s.
Why the huge explosion, usually these start as fires and quickly escalate. What could cause an explosion other than sudden ignition of vapour in a confined space. I doubt this was an open air explosion due to the damage cause (most damaging explosions ocurr when explosions are initiated in a sealed envelope).
Where are the Thunderbirds when you need them!
Huge Explosion - Dalglish
What could cause an explosion other than sudden ignition ...

>>

you can bet that john prescott will soon announce a "full public inquiry" to look in to all the aspects of the disaster.

And then after that he'll be seeing if there are any "lessons to be learned" from the incident.
now some of the tanks have gone, he can squeeze aother 30,000 homes in the gaps.
Huge Explosion - Jim M
Two Jags is an ex merchant marine steward. he should remember his basic fire training and hopefully he will stay in his place and take the Firemaster a nice cuppa.
Jim
Huge Explosion - Jim M
Re Red Adairs answer phone, if you have let a well get away from you the time taken to make the call will have paid for it. Mr Adair used to order equipment the Oil Co would pay and Mr Adair would keep it after the job. Don't know if this still applies but if you are dumb enough to get into a bad position you deserve to pay.
I agree with thoery of explosion in confined space, most likly static. Bomb would need a lot of knowledge - type fluid in tank how full tank was and placement of device.
Hope all goes well over the next few days
Jim
Huge Explosion - Group B
What could cause an explosion other than sudden ignition of >> vapour in a confined space. I doubt this was an open air
explosion due to the damage cause (most damaging explosions >> ocurr when explosions are initiated in a sealed envelope).

It made me wonder too why there had been such a big explosion. But if fuel vapour mixes with air in the right proportions it will explode like a bomb when ignited. So sufficient vapour could have leaked out and weather conditions could have allowed it to mix in the right proportion. If it had been really windy, the explosion might not have happened. So did they have sensors that could detect vapour leakage, and if so, did they work?
Of course I'm only guessing.

Its like the "fuel/air bomb" that the US military has, which releases a big cloud of propane, then ignites it when its assumed to be the correct concentration in the air.
Don't mean to be a cynic - but how long would one of these large tanks burn if ignited? I am thinking around 3 days?
;o)

Regarding bunds - have been watching the coverage and haven't seen any obvious huge earth mounds. Guessing the fuel tanks are sunk into enclosures, and maybe water/foam/fuel being pumped to an empty tank or storage device as it is filling these bunds.

Went to fill my bike tyres this morning and the local petrol station was shut (Newbury). Not sure if this was due to lack of fuel - didn't see any signs and was in a rush. Anyone else seen evidence of fuel shortages?

Needn't have rushed either - BIB were escorting a 'plain' blue lorry up the A34. I managed to nip in behind the two riders up front who were cutting through traffic at 80+. Quickest ride to work ever ;o)

HV
Huge Explosion - Bromptonaut
Still burning at 08:30/09:00 today. Extent of smoke drift very apparent viewed from north London.
The tanks themselves probably wont combust unless they are ruptured allowing air in to provide oxygen.

So something leaked vapour, it hung around getting denser and bigger, and ignited, probably split open a tank which then exploded and split open the next tank etc.

Once you have a nice big fire going you only need to heat up the adjacent tanks to the point they burst and combust.

Huge Explosion - nortones2
Possibly a BLEVE: boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion. Modelling for predicting the effects of such events is (or should be) routine in risk assessment. Won't go any further into speculation on causes.
Huge Explosion - Number_Cruncher
Possibly a BLEVE: boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion. Modelling for
predicting the effects of such events is (or should be) routine
in risk assessment. Won't go any further into speculation on
causes.

I didn't realise that detailed modelling of blast loads on structures was so commonplace. It is a feature that has only relatively recently been added to one of the codes that I have used for more general structural analysis.

Number_Cruncher
Huge Explosion - nortones2
Flixborough (Nypro as was) gave many lessons re site structures, particularly control room siting. CIA (Chemicals Industries Association) guidance on design may be known to you.
Flixborough (Nypro as was) gave many lessons re site structures, particularly
control room siting. CIA (Chemicals Industries Association) guidance on
design may be known to you.

No, I have never done any chemical industry work. For a structural seismic assessment project I was involved in, I used a finite element code, which was written by colleagues in a sister office of the company I worked for at the time. During my (slow and tedious - I'm not much good with FE) learning curve with the software, I met the chap who developed the software a few times, and during discussion with him, I found that the addition of blast capability to the software was causing him major headaches! This was about 2 years ago, hence my surprise at the idea of blast modelling being common.

Number_Cruncher

Huge Explosion - Nsar
I'm really enjoying the info on motoring I'm getting from this thread!
Huge Explosion - henry k
I'm really enjoying the info on motoring I'm getting from this thread!

>>
Can you tell me what models the damaged cars were in the TV shots.
With door skins missing it is a case of clues like the shape or the badges on the wheel hubs.
Huge Explosion - Jim M
Well done Mr Firemaster and your team
Jim
I'm really enjoying the info on motoring I'm getting from this
thread!

While this thread may not be in the same league as;

"Do you rev your engine before swiching off?"

or

"Do you have a name for your car?",

I think that discussion about the provisions and infrastructure which supplies our fuel, and methods and techniques related to extinguishing fuel fires may just qualify as being related to motoring!

Number_Cruncher
Huge Explosion - mss1tw
Well said.

Dragging this further back onto motoring.

Reorts coming out today say it may have been started by a tanker driver, hitting the emergency kill switch on his rig when he saw/smelled the vapour cloud.

Now assuming this is the case, assuming the driver acted correctly (one would think turning off is a good idea) one would assume an emergency kill switch on a tanker was "spark proof"
Huge Explosion - mss1tw
Don't they normally have a plastic skin over them?

Personally I'd have left it running if it didn't, diesels being compression ignition...
Huge Explosion - henry k
Dragging this further back onto motoring.
Reorts coming out today say it may have been started by
a tanker driver.....

I was surprised to hear a tanker driver say he filled up the night before and was arriving to start his shift without queueing to fill up.
I would have thought it better to only allow vehicles on a site, even like that for the absolute minimum period.
Even though they have protected electrics like the battery cut off switch demo-ed on TV lunchtime there must still be added risk.
I was looking at the tanks as they were cooling them down yesterday - after three days of intense heat from a fuel fire I was quite surprised that they still stood largely intact. What sort of steel do they use for these things, and why don't they use the same grade for *very* tall buildings??

HV
Huge Explosion - mare
I was looking at the tanks as they were cooling them
down yesterday - after three days of intense heat from a
fuel fire I was quite surprised that they still stood largely
intact. What sort of steel do they use for these
things, and why don't they use the same grade for *very*
tall buildings??
HV

They probably do. The problem with steel in tall buildings (and you'll have to bear with me, i'm a surveyor not an engineer) is that steel loses it's rigidity and goes floppy once it reaches a certain temperature, rather than melt. Hence the building collapses.

the current UK requirement is for 1, maybe 2 hours fire protection to steelwork, mainly by intumescent paint or board, i.e. enough time to get people out. The building is secondary, and to an extent sacrifical. If a fire was sufficently bad enough to affect the steel, you'll be looking at pulling it down anyway, because everything else will have gone. And new build is not much more expensive than modifying and refurbishing an exisitng structure.
They probably do. The problem with steel in tall buildings (and
you'll have to bear with me, i'm a surveyor not an
engineer) is that steel loses it's rigidity and goes floppy once
it reaches a certain temperature, rather than melt. Hence the building
collapses.
the current UK requirement is for 1, maybe 2 hours fire
protection to steelwork, mainly by intumescent paint or board, i.e. enough
time to get people out. The building is secondary, and to
an extent sacrifical. If a fire was sufficently bad enough to
affect the steel, you'll be looking at pulling it down anyway,
because everything else will have gone. And new build is not
much more expensive than modifying and refurbishing an exisitng structure.

So very tall buildings are designed to collapse in a fire? I didn't know this! I work in one sometimes!

And if the top floor of a VTB had a fire, the whole building is designed to collapse?

What temperature does this steel floppiness occur at?

Why send fire crews into a VTB if they are designed to colapse?

Does your car have a name? (motoring)
The whole building isn't designed to collapse, it's deigned to withstand the fire for 1 or 2 hours and then perhaps be beyond repair, but still standing. In the example that you give the steel would become soft and the top floor would require demolition, however I'm sure the reast of the building would be saved.

As I understand it, the reason the twin towers collapsed was because the steel in the damaged sections softened, the floors holding it all together gave way and this lead to the top of the building dropping down several storeys, picking up momentum and therefore dragging the undamaged lower sections of the towers down with it.

This was made worse as large areas of fireproofing were missing at the time of the fire, and the fact that the circumstances weren't exactly given in the original design brief...

Blue
Huge Explosion - smokie
I'll admit to a level of interest in much of this thread, but can we please at least pay lip service to the fact that this is a motoring forum, and not stray too far?

Thanks
smokie, BR Moderator
Talk of steel softening at temperature is just as relevant to exhaust valves and brake discs as it is to civil engineering uses of the material.

Number_Cruncher
Huge Explosion - mare
So very tall buildings are designed to collapse in a fire?
I didn't know this! I work in one sometimes!
And if the top floor of a VTB had a fire,
the whole building is designed to collapse?

No, the fire would only affect the top floor. The steelwork supporting the roof is not protected however, and could in theory collapse earlier
What temperature does this steel floppiness occur at?

Pass, very very high though
Why send fire crews into a VTB if they are designed
to colapse?

You have a 1-2 hour window. buildings over 7 storeys have fire fighting lifts i.e. a lift within a protected shaft that the fire fighters can use to get to the fire. Under 7 storeys, they use the stairs.

Does your car have a name? (motoring)

No it's a lump of metal with four seats and a steering wheel.
Huge Explosion - drbe
You have a 1-2 hour window. buildings over 7 storeys have
fire fighting lifts i.e. a lift within a protected shaft that
the fire fighters can use to get to the fire. Under
7 storeys, they use the stairs.

>>

What happens if the building is exactly 7 storeys high? ;-)