overnight shenanigans - lordy
a neighbours car has been damaged overnight by a friendly local. They threw a wrought iron gate from a couple of doors down onto the car bonnet. Has the car owner got any way of claiming against the gate owners house insurance policy (as it was their property that did the damage) to recover repair costs, or is it a 'put it down to experience' type situation?

--
let me be the last to let you down....
overnight shenanigans - Altea Ego
who did the actual throwing? the house owner?
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
overnight shenanigans - mss1tw
Has the car owner got any way of claiming against the gate
owners house insurance policy

No
overnight shenanigans - AngryJonny
This is an example of why people who garage their car enjoy cheaper insurance premiums.

Effectively the owner of the house has been the victim of a crime here too... their gate was stolen.

You sound like you know who did it. Your friend may have a claim against them, if they can prove who it was.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
overnight shenanigans - lordy
Perhaps i better clear a couple of points up. I have no idea who did it. I spotted the damage this morning, and then saw where the gate had come from. I have not spoken to either party about it, I was simply mulling this over on my way in to work!

--
let me be the last to let you down....
overnight shenanigans - The Lawman
You can only recover from the vandal, and if you do not know who that was, you are stuffed.
overnight shenanigans - No FM2R
Only if there is some liability, which is not likely.

If you could show that the gate was loose, was known to be loose, could be reasonably expected to be thrown at the parked car and yet the owner still did not have it repaired, secured or whatever, then perhaps. But even then, only "perhaps".

Fantasies to one side, no claim is possible, and that is why he has comprehensive car insurance.
overnight shenanigans - AngryJonny
Yes. It's just a shame these days that so few people can afford to claim for damages on their insurance.

----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
overnight shenanigans - pdc {P}
Yup, I had my car damaged twice this year, while parked up, and each time the estimate for repairs was around £1200. I opted to go down the insurance route.

My premium went up by £1000 when I renewed.

Have a few dents on the new car. Not going to bother with repairs until 3 years down the line when I have to hand it back.
overnight shenanigans - BobbyG
Thats always the dilemma isn't it? Sods law states that if you get some damage fixed, the next week someone will damage the car in the same place again!

Happened to me a few years ago when I got a wing repaired that had a car park bump, and the following week 2 "shopping trolley" dents appeared on the same wing.

Back to square one but higher insurance!

My FiL, whose car has had various dents over the last couple of years, has just put his car in to be repaired. Told his insurance company that the car had been vandalised overnight so they are all getting repaired on the one claim.

AFAIK, this same attitude was taken by my previous company's car drivers. They were charged for any damage when they returned the car, so as we worked for a major supermarket chain, they always seemed to get their cars vandalised in the car park a month before they got handed back!