Cornering Myth? - Haardvark
Following on from another thread, some people have mentioned cornering as one reason to own a fast car.

I seem to remember a magazine test (CAR maybe?) in the distant past that tested this theory. It had a variety of cars - slow, fast, exotica - and a number of tyres on test. I think it included some non-road tyres also.

The conclusion was that in terms of cornering, all of the cars/tyres broke away at pretty much the same point/speed, no matter what tyres were used or what the car was.

Have I recalled this correctly? I didn't really think it possible at the time but I suppose the test must have been accurate.

I have often wondered why tyres are generally only marketed for their water clearing performance. They never seem to promise faster cornering or better stopping (except in the wet). Maybe this is the reason?

HV
Cornering Myth? - cheddar
This is a complex subject, it is not only to do with the theoretical grip provided by the tyres, it is also to do with centre of gravity, weight transferance, and the ability of the chassis (suspension etc) to maintain an optimum contact between the tyres and the road.
This is a complex subject, it is not only to do
with the theoretical grip provided by the tyres, it is also
to do with centre of gravity, weight transferance, and the ability
of the chassis (suspension etc) to maintain an optimum contact between
the tyres and the road.

Well, this was my thinking before I read the article - it must be a very complex subject. But the conclusion to the article showed that it was actually very simple. All car/tyre combinations gave almost identical levels of grip on corners. Run of mill family saloons and expensive sport cars - identical.

Cornering Myth? - Stuartli
>>Run of mill family saloons and expensive sport cars - identical.>>

Pull the other one...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cornering Myth? - Group B
Not many people cornering on dry roads get anywhere near the ultimate grip of the tyres (unless they're in the process of having a crash!). While a family saloon may have the same ultimate grip as a "sports car" on the same tyres (as they have the same size contact patch of rubber on the road), a car such as a Lotus Elise has a much lower centre of gravity and stiffer, better damped suspension.
Being driven at speed it will roll less and be less affected by imperfections in the road, so will feel safer and inspire more confidence, and therefore allow higher cornering speeds, before the driver "bottles it"!

Cornering on a test track until the cars lose traction is a different ball game to driving on UK roads.
Cornering Myth? - BazzaBear {P}
I don't think this can be true, as I remember that the Alfa SZ had fantastic levels of cornering grip meaning that, at the time, it could corner better than any other car (in terms of the number of g's before breaking away). If there was no difference, how could one be better?
Cornering Myth? - AngryJonny
OK - first of all, look at the Suzuki Liana on Top Gear. Frequently, during cornering, it's up on 3 wheels. So there's less grip and more likelihood to slide.

Secondly, it's not about how much grip they tyre has on the road, it's about how much force the car puts on those tyres to make them want to slide in the first place.

The first thing you can do is to stiffen the chassis to stop the Liana thing happening.

Then you can lower the centre of gravity to stop it rolling and pulling 2 of the wheels off the road.

Then you can balance the weight of the car properly (they don't make supercars mid-engined for nothing) which stops too much g-force pushing on the front or rear wheels, keeping them all in check for longer.

A Porsche 911 (well an old one) will understeer like mad because there's no weight over the front wheels to make them grip. It will also flip around under tight cornering as the weight of the engine behind the back wheels will put more Gs on them and swing them around.

There are many aspects to car handling aside from the tyres.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
The first thing you can do is to stiffen the chassis
to stop the Liana thing happening.

BTCC cars do that three wheel thing all the time - come to think of it, so do F1 cars. Not sure if chasis stiffening is the answer to one wheel up - could be just the opposite.

HV
Not many people cornering on dry roads get anywhere near the
ultimate grip of the tyres (unless they're in the process of
having a crash!). While a family saloon may have the
same ultimate grip as a "sports car" on the same tyres
(as they have the same size contact patch of rubber on
the road), a car such as a Lotus Elise has a
much lower centre of gravity and stiffer, better damped suspension.
Being driven at speed it will roll less and be less
affected by imperfections in the road, so will feel safer and
inspire more confidence, and therefore allow higher cornering speeds, before the
driver "bottles it"!
Cornering on a test track until the cars lose traction is
a different ball game to driving on UK roads.

>>

But are you saying that fitting wider tyres would give more grip in corners? I always understood that contact area was the same no matter what size of tyre was fitted to a given car - it is only the shape of that patch changes. Is this wrong?

I am sure that a test track is different from everyday driving, but it does provide a controlled environment. And the controlled environment showed that grip in corners was unnafected by tyre type.

I agree that a car with good feedback will give you much greater confidence in any circumstance, but the original article was relating to grip in corners - which was found to be pretty constant across all cars/tyres.

I'm not sure that center of gravity would come into it at the limit of tyre grip. A bus might topple before a lotus, but the tyre will lose grip at a certain point - low centre of gravity can't move that point, can it?
Cornering Myth? - mjm
From what I remember of the article the cars were driven in a circle at increasing speeds until they lost grip and broke away.

The variety of vehicles tested all broke away at a fairly consistant value of about 0,9g. The exception was the Porsche 911 where the tail broke first, and by applying power to keep the front "pushed" on track, a figure of about 1,1g was recorded.
Tyres need a load applied to grip. At "normal" road speeds the only load is the weight of the car. Cornering centrifugal force "throws" this weight towards the outside of the bend. When the value of this weight transfer approaches the weight of the car, it will lose grip.
This is assuming a dry, smooth road.
The results of the test seem to bear this out.

As a point of interest, a F1 car, at 120mph will produce a downforce of of about 2000kg. Add this to its weight of 600kg and it should, at that speed, be able to produce a cornering capability of over 4g
From what I remember of the article the cars were driven
in a circle at increasing speeds until they lost grip and
broke away.
The variety of vehicles tested all broke away at a fairly
consistant value of about 0,9g. The exception was the Porsche 911
where the tail broke first, and by applying power to keep
the front "pushed" on track, a figure of about 1,1g was
recorded.
Tyres need a load applied to grip. At "normal" road speeds
the only load is the weight of the car. Cornering centrifugal
force "throws" this weight towards the outside of the bend. When
the value of this weight transfer approaches the weight of the
car, it will lose grip.
This is assuming a dry, smooth road.
The results of the test seem to bear this out.
As a point of interest, a F1 car, at 120mph will
produce a downforce of of about 2000kg. Add this to its
weight of 600kg and it should, at that speed, be able
to produce a cornering capability of over 4g

So I wasn't imagining things then.

With F1 cars the downforce plays a huge part in getting them around corners at speed. Not much of that happening in most road cars, hence the consistent figures in the test.
Cornering Myth? - AngryJonny
OK. Consider an extreme example where a Porsche 911 has an engine hanging off the back that's so heavy it lifts the front wheels off the ground. You have no grip and the car can't corner at all.

Now, add weight to the front of the Porsche until the front wheels are just touching the ground. You can corner at really low speeds, but anything over a couple of miles and hour causes it to slide at the front.

Similarly, imagine a 4-door front wheel drive (like an Audi) with the heavy engine hanging over the front wheels. Now the back wheels of the car are in the air. Add weight to the back and what you have is a car that slides from the back at more than a couple of miles an hour.

Most cars are a less extreme example of this phenomenon. One pair of tyres will give out before the other (ie, is the car prone to oversteer or understeer). But a well-balanced car will put the same force on both axles which allows good cornering.

This isn't the be-all and end-all of it, but it's an example of how the car design itself can affect the handling.

----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Cornering Myth? - Garethj
OK. Consider an extreme example where a Porsche 911 has an engine hanging off the back that's so heavy it lifts the front wheels off the ground. You have no grip and the car can't corner at all.

But I can't think of any car which has got more than 65% of it's weight on the front or rear, so it's nowhere near as extreme as your example. Add a driver and passenger and it's even more neutral.

The weight of the car and weight transfer due to the suspension and anti-roll bars are more significant.

As an aside, tyres need to slide to provide dynamic grip, and this happens at anything over 5mph for the steered wheels. Therefore the tyres are sliding long before you think they are!

What was the question again?
>> But are you saying that fitting wider tyres would give more
grip in corners? I always understood that contact area was
the same no matter what size of tyre was fitted to
a given car - it is only the shape of that
patch changes. Is this wrong?

>>

The wider a tyre and to a degree the greater the diameter of a tyre then the larger the contact patch.
I'm not sure that center of gravity would come into it
at the limit of tyre grip. A bus might topple
before a lotus, but the tyre will lose grip at a
certain point - low centre of gravity can't move that point,
can it?

>>

The lower the centre of gravity the more even the load (from one side of the vehicle to the other) thus all four tyres are able to do some work, i.e. just before the double decker topples the inside wheels are not gripping at all because there is no weight on them.
But are you saying that fitting wider tyres would give more
grip in corners?

No I wasnt saying that; but I did think a wider tyre had a bigger contact patch, I thought it had the same length patch but wider. I thought the length of contact patch varied with car weight or air pressure in the tyre?. But I dont know, can anyone help on this one?
And the controlled environment showed that grip in corners was unnafected by tyre
type.

I wasnt disputing what you said, as I havent read the article. :o) I was just going on to suggest that although a 225/45 tyre may have the same grip on two different cars, that grip is likely to be more usable in a sports car with better handling characteristics.
I mean that even if they have the same grip, on real roads you might be able to comfortably use 90% of that grip in a sports car, but only 75% in a family car, because it doesnt inspire the same confidence.

I used to have a Peugeot 405 Mi16 which had 195/50x15 tyres; it was fast (no sports car) and did have well sorted suspension.
After that car I mistakenly bought a Mk3 Golf 1.8CL, on which the handling was so bad I fitted it with alloys and 195/50x15 tyres. Even on the same size tyres, the soft suspension and vague steering meant you could not corner anywhere near as fast as in the Pug. It would roll and lurch and you had to take corners slower.

Cornering Myth? - machika
I used to have a Peugeot 405 Mi16 which had 195/50x15
tyres; it was fast (no sports car) and did have well
sorted suspension.
After that car I mistakenly bought a Mk3 Golf 1.8CL, on
which the handling was so bad I fitted it with alloys
and 195/50x15 tyres. Even on the same size tyres, the
soft suspension and vague steering meant you could not corner anywhere
near as fast as in the Pug. It would roll and
lurch and you had to take corners slower.

The 405 was renowned for its handling and the Mi16 even more so, being 4 wheel drive (I think). I remember a edition of Grandstand, where some saloon car racers compared a standard road going model, of the marque that they raced in competition, with their race prepared car. The chap who raced the 405 was very impressed with the bog standard 405's handling. I seem to remember that the Toyota Carina GT came well out of the test too.
Cornering Myth? - blue_haddock
The 405 was renowned for its handling and the Mi16 even
more so, being 4 wheel drive (I think).

The standard 405 Mi16 was front wheel drive but peugeot did do an Mi16x4 which was 4 wheel drive. These do handle well as it's extremely difficult to lose grip in them.
>> The 405 was renowned for its handling and the Mi16
even
>> more so, being 4 wheel drive (I think).
The standard 405 Mi16 was front wheel drive but peugeot did
do an Mi16x4 which was 4 wheel drive. These do handle
well as it's extremely difficult to lose grip in them.

Yes my Mi16 was the 2 wheel drive one, and it handled better in the dry than the Audi 80 quattro I had before it. I was advised to avoid the Mi16x4 because IIRC it had rear suspension that was prone to seize up if not maintained carefully.
Cornering Myth? - blue_haddock
Yes the Mi16x4 is a bit temperamental - it shares the rear suspension with the Citreon BX.

www.pughosting.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43707
Cornering Myth? - L'escargot
I seem to remember a magazine test (CAR maybe?) in the
distant past that tested this theory.
The conclusion was that in terms of cornering, all of the
cars/tyres broke away at pretty much the same point/speed, no matter
what tyres were used or what the car was.

They obviously didn't test anything fitted with crossply tyres.
--
L\'escargot.
Cornering Myth? - madf
nor could they have tested 4wd cars.

Load of bull imo
madf
Cornering Myth? - DrS
A perverse thing about wide tyres: More contact area with given vehicle weight = lower contact pressure (Tons per square inch, or whatever).
Lower contact pressure = less grip.

Which explains why Citroen 2CV's never broke tyre grip.
Skinny tyres, you see.
Cornering Myth? - jc
I used to enjoy driving cars with cross-ply tyres even after radials came out.They broke away earlier than radials but did it controllably.Early radials gripped or didn't.
Cornering Myth? - bell boy
i agree jc crossplies might not have the ultimate grip but the sidewalls flexed better and longer and when the slip angle was finally breached it was with lots of feel through the chassis and the vehicle was easy to pull back into line (crap in the wet mind)
Cornering Myth? - Xileno {P}
I remember having lots of fun in a soft Renault 4. Very hard to get it to break loose though, much the same as a 2CV.
Cornering Myth? - Sofa Spud
Crossplies better than radials? I don't think I've ever heard that claim before - not even in the 70's! My newish Erde 142 unbraked trailer has crossplies, but all that has to do is roll along behind the car.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Cornering Myth? - bell boy
they will be imported east european crossplies though made out of old sandals,proper dunlops or avons were cracking tyres and you could feel what they were doing,bear in mind that i did say they were terrible in the wet though.
Cornering Myth? - Gazza
Does the cornering speed increases with the increase of g-force which a particular car can generate?

I read the U.S Car & Driver quite often and all their tests includes the maximum lateral force which can be generated in a particular car.

Here are a few examples,
- Celica 140 on 205 R16 gives 0.89g (on Yokohamas)
- Mondeo 2.0 on 205 R16 gives 0.86g (not sure what tyre) - 0.88g (on Michelin Pilot Primacy)
- 530iSE on 225 R16 gives 0.85g
- 330iSE on 225 R16 gives 0.83g
- 330i Sport on 225 R18 gives 0.86g

Does the above implies that for a constant radius bend, a Mondeo on standard rim and M' Primacy tyres will be faster than a 330i Sport?
Does the above implies that for a constant radius bend, a
Mondeo on standard rim and M' Primacy tyres will be faster
than a 330i Sport?

Yup!
Cornering Myth? - Gazza
How much faster? What's the formula to determine the speed?
Cornering Myth? - Number_Cruncher
>>Does the cornering speed increases with the increase of g-force which a particular car can generate?

Centripetal acceleration is given by velocity squared divided by radius.

So, if you plug in units of metres per second for velocity, and metres for the radius, you get the acceleration in metres per second squared. As there are (very roughly) 9.81 metres per second in one g.

It's not a huge surprise that the cars listed show similar maximum accelerations - while there are lots of subtle intricacies to vehicle handling this is a very crude test which shows that the friction between road going rubber and the road for reasonably well designed cars is fairly predictable.

For more info, try, Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics by Gillespie, which, while **adequately mathematical is also readable. BTW, I don't have any connection, but it is the book which has cleared away a few myths for me!

Number_Cruncher

** IMO, for most engineering questions, until you've done the maths with some realistic numbers in, you probably *don't* understand.
Cornering Myth? - teabelly
The book is on amazon but at £62 and a wait of up to 6 weeks.

tinyurl.com/dlxjx

Probably best to get it out of the library :-)
teabelly
<< As there are (very roughly) 9.81
metres per second in one g.

Metres per second per second or metres per second squared.
--
L\'escargot.
Sorry about that silly error - metres per second squared.

Number_Cruncher
Cornering Myth? - mjm
These figures tend to suggest that the article read by Aardvark was quite accurate.
These figures tend to suggest that the article read by Aardvark
was quite accurate.

So I wasn't imagining things then.

HV
Crossplies better than radials? I don't think I've ever heard
that claim before

Don't be coy. Who said cross-plies were better than radials? Name and shame!
--
L\'escargot.
Cornering Myth? - machika
The worst accident I ever had was as a result of having crossply tyres (Continental) on an NSU 1000C. These had precious little grip and the back end used to break away with very little persuasion. I though I could control it but I was wrong and one Friday night, on the way home from Edinburgh, where I worked at the time, I lost control on a bend, as I was approaching Congleton, in Cheshire. I tried to correct the slide but went too far the other way and ended up going into a spin.

I was very lucky that there was no other traffic on the road at the time and eventually ended up coming to a standstill when the rear offside wing collided with a telegraph pole. The car was quite badly damaged but I was OK, thankfully. That was in October 1973 and I have never had a prang since.

After the repair, I had the car fitted with Michelin radials and the difference in the grip provided by these tyres was enormous. The car had lovely handling and, with the radial tyres, great grip. The back end never once showed any signs of breaking away in the remaining ten years that I owned that car.
Cornering Myth? - Garethj
The worst accident I ever had was as a result of having crossply tyres (Continental) on an NSU 1000C.

After the repair, I had the car fitted with Michelin radials and the difference in the grip provided by these tyres was enormous.

That's also down to suspension dynamics, crossplys have very stiff sidewalls, and swing axle suspension can tip them up onto their edges. A radial is more compliant so the contact patch of the tyre is more often on the ground.
Normal versus wide tyres - I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that a wide tyre and a normal tyre would have very similar pressures, e.g. 30psi?

If this was the case then the contact patch would be the same area, no?

Or is it the case that if I double my tyre widths I would go from, say, 30psi to 15psi in each tyre?

Any iseas from the forum?

HV
Cornering Myth? - Stuartli
Some information on the subject:

tinyurl.com/8vgo6

tinyurl.com/95qev

tinyurl.com/dc7g5

tinyurl.com/cnbat

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cornering Myth? - mjm
Haardvark,

If you want to read some more on the subject I can recommend The Sports Car, Its design and performance by Colin Campbell, ISBN 0 412 15000 X.

My copy is years old but still worth a re-read occaisionally. It covers quite a bit of ground on all aspects of car design. The principals apply to saloons as well as sports. It isn't a "heavy" read, either.
There are some second hand copies advertised on the Amazon website if you are interested.

The tyre pressure change you mentioned won't work. All tyres need inflating to a pressure which will keep the tread "flat" on the road. Under or over inflation will not achieve this.

Control of the body of the car via the suspension should be aimed at keeping the whole contact patch of the tyre flat on the road.

In my humble opinion modern sporting cars get big, wide tyres and rock hard suspension so that the manufacturers don't have to bother too much about controling wheel movement. As a result the ride comfort is abysmal.
Normal versus wide tyres - I would imagine (but don't know
for sure) that a wide tyre and a normal tyre would
have very similar pressures, e.g. 30psi?
If this was the case then the contact patch would be
the same area, no?

Correction to my post yesterday, having looked at the Chris Longhurst wheel and tyre bible. (www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html)
If he is correct, then you are correct in saying wider tyres on the same car will give the same area contact patch.

He then gets very technical, and concludes by saying that maximum grip occurs when all 4 tyres are equally loaded.
Cornering Myth? - Manatee
IIRC, the simple formula for available friction is F=coefficient of materials combination x weight. The real world is presumably muc h more complicated even in the dry (e.g. tread deformation, managing relative wheel loadings)but this suggests that 'stickiness' of tyres will be a major factor - hence the very soft tyres used in competition - and that regular cars using similar compounds will fall into the same band of cornering power.
Yes, the formula you mention is usually given as;

Friction force = Coefficient of Friction * weight force

The thing to note about this equation is that there is no mention of area. This is because the formula is limited to pairs of surfaces which are relatively rigid - it's fine for brake shoes and pads and clutches. In this case, the two rigid peaks only contact on the tips of the microscopic asperities. So, the tiny true area of contact isn't related to the apparent area of contact. This has memorably been described in text books by asking the reader to imagine one mountain range turned upside down and loaded against a second mountain range - only three or four of the highest peaks would touch.

Tyres, of course, conform to the road surface, so there is a benefit to be had from increasing contact area. The friction behaviour of a tyre needs more than F=mu*N to describe it.

The characteristic of maximum grip, when expressed as a function of vertical tyre loading is not linear. If it were linear, load transfer in a corner wouldn't be too important, the loss of grip from one tyre would be exactly compensated by the gain in grip on the more heavily loaded tyre. Owing to the non-linear nature of the characteristic, the information given by the tyre bible is spot on - the tyres can develop their optimum when the vertical loads are as even as possible.

Again, the amount of lateral load transfer for cars is not going to vary much between models. Aside from any coupling between lateral and longitudinal load transfer from anti-roll bars, lateral load transfer is governed by only the height of the centre of gravity and the track width. For most cars, these two parameters aren't going to be vastly different. I didn't see an A35 in the list for example!

Number_Cruncher