Audi 80 1995, Anti-freeze - mak
Hi all,
Could someone advise me on the frequency of changing coolant/anti-freeze.
My car is filled with the recommended G12Plus which is classed as a 'filled for life' coolant. How long is 'life'? In the past I always carried out a change every 2 years as I was concerned of the anti-rust inhibitor breaking down. As I am planning on keeping the car for sometime, how frequently should I change this coolant bearing in mind cost and welfare of the car?
Many thanks.
Audi 80 1995, Anti-freeze - Xileno {P}
Like yourself, I am rather confused by the statement 'for life'. Historically I change my VW coolant every two years although recently I have used a five year brand from Halfords. Nice red colour too!
Audi 80 1995, Anti-freeze - madf
I change the Halfords long life every 5 years: works very well on aluminium engined Peugeot 106 diesel. NO corrosion or leaks..after 12 years (touch wood)
madf
Audi 80 1995, Anti-freeze - Roberson
Sorry I cant be specific with the intervals at which coolant should be changed. But, if that coolant is still the original, then its 10 years old. I'm not sure about Audi 80s, but generally, coolant changes are not that difficult and thus shouldn't cost the earth to do. Likewise, some coolants aren't too expensive either, including VAG recommended ones.

For sheer peace of mind, have it changed at the next service, preferably with VAG approved G12. I've read that, under no circumstances, should the system be filled with any ordinary coolant or the previous and now discontinued G11 coolants, as the two don?t mix. (Well, not without flushing the system)
Audi 80 1995, Anti-freeze - Robert Fleming
I scrapped my D reg 210k Polo (death by rust) which had the original G11 coolant which I'd occasionally topped up/orignal radiator/no leaks/no gunk in header tank/auto choke still kicking in like clockwork. Now VW sell G12+, the + part meaning you can mix it with G11. Fill (or top up) and forget.