Refitting tyres - gsb
After reading the winter tyre thread, I looked on E-bay to see if any my size going. Question is does removing and refitting (possibly more than once) cause any problems to a tyre. Obviously buying new is best.
Refitting tyres - bell boy
Not if removed with proper gear and the tyre bead isnt ripped
Refitting tyres - Civic8
As mentioned if done correctly should be no problems,was done manually years ago with no probs.

Depends on who does the change?
--
Steve
Refitting tyres - L'escargot
Why not go the whole hog and buy another set of wheels? It will save the unnecessary risk of damage to your original wheels (important if they are alloys) during repeated removal of one set of tyres and refitting of the other.
--
L\'escargot.
Refitting tyres - mrmender
Yes i agree buy another set of wheels steel ones, so as not to damage alloys.
I worked in Finland for a few months a couple of years back and every body has 2 sets of wheels, with winter & summer tyres. You never see anyone use alloys in the winter so as to avoid damage from salt etc
I'm not sure but seem to remember it being a legal reqirement to have winter tyres there
Refitting tyres - BazzaBear {P}
Legal requirement to have winter tyres in Austria too. It's a very strange sight seeing expensive cars driving around ojn steelies.
As I understand it the reason for using steels for winter tyres is just that it's pointlessly expensive to have two sets of alloys, rather than worries about the weather damaging the alloys.
Back to the original question though: It does make a LOT more sense to buy yourself a set of steel wheels for the winter tyres. It means only getting them fitted once, rather than having to make the time to go down to Kwik-fit and pay for a tyre change twice every year.
Much quicker, easier and cheaper to just swap the wheels over yourself.
Refitting tyres - bell boy
nice thought guys but most houses these days are shoeboxes,where would 4 wheels and tyres actually go?and dont forget the studs that hold wheels on are different from alloy ones so you also have to get another set of these etc.
Also 4 wheels and tyres weigh a fair bit would a modern box room mdf floor take the weight in the corner?It would be a tyre swap for me.
Refitting tyres - Mapmaker
It costs £8 to have a tyre fitted and rebalanced. Twice a year. So a second set of wheels would pay for themselves after a couple of years.

But when you sell your car, you'll have to buy another car with the same wheels...
Refitting tyres - NowWheels
But when you sell your car, you'll have to buy another
car with the same wheels...

or sell the extra set of wheels to the buyer of the car?
But when you sell your car, you'll have to buy another
car with the same wheels...

Of course that's not a problem in countries where this is law, since everyone has 2 sets of wheels, so you just sell them with the car, and buy the new set with the new car.
Refitting tyres - MoneyMart
Worked in Sweden for several years.

Pretty much everyone has two sets of wheels. They almost always use steels for winter for two reasons : 1. Winter tyres are not available in many low-profile sizes, so the steel wheels are generally smaller diameter (13" - 15" usually) than their summer alloys in order to accomodate higher profile tyres - and - 2. Because the constant snow and salt knackers alloys.

Most people tend to keep their "spare" set outside in the garden. Why would you want to keep them in your spare room? They were made to survive outdoor weather!

And as has already been mentioned, it's very odd to see flash cars like 7-series and Audi A8's driving round on 14" steel wheels with no wheel-trims!
Refitting tyres - barchettaman
My summer wheels/tyres are mounted on brackets on the wall of the garage. Each bracket cost ?3 IIRC. Off the floor, out of the way.
Plus the winter steel wheels and tyres cost ?50 for all four on eBay. Got lucky that day!