PAS Pump Failed - Opel Combo van - kennybase
The Opel Combo van has a problem - the pipes serving the PAS pump have corroded and therefore fluid has run out.

Mechanic has checked it out and said OK to drive - but not for long distances.

My question is - if its ok to drive for short trips, why not longer trips? I realise steering will be alot heavier, but is that all?
PAS Pump Failed - mjm
Probably because the fluid is also lubricating the pump and the hydraulic motor on the other end of the pipes. The mechanic probably meant ok to drive a short distance for repair.
PAS Pump Failed - sierraman
I would not use it at all.Apart from the safety implications of the heavy and unresponsive steering,running the pump with no fluid is likely to damage it.
PAS Pump Failed - defender
dont know the combo set up but if you take BOTH pipes of the steering ram there are no safety risks.the steering will be a bit heavier but then we all used to manage without power assist.if the pump is driven by a belt solely for the steering pump taking it of will save the pump from damage but obviously you cant do that if it drives other things
PAS Pump Failed - Altea Ego
you are seriously considering driving this thing with failed power steering?

1/ In the event of emergency avoiding action you wont be able to shift the steering fast enough.

2/ within 5 miles your arms will be screaming in agony.

Cars with PA steering failed are not like driving cars that were built without PA. You would be mad to try. The pump will be wrecked as well.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
PAS Pump Failed - Aprilia
PAS rack has a much higher ration than a manual rack - not designed to be driven without PAS pressure. Pump will be wrecked in short order - then swarf will get into the rack and wreck that too. Don't run engine unless in emergency.
PAS Pump Failed - kennybase
Thank you all for the swift replies.

Let me elaborate a little more then. It is not my van - it's SWMBO grandparents van, and they live in the middle of nowhere in Ireland. Took it to the local garage and he has quoted them 500Euros for part and fitting of the new pipe. He has disengaged the pump so there is no risk of it running with no fluid, but the roads are very twisty and so PAS is useful, but the old Nissan van they have doesn't have PAS and they use that without too many problems.

Hopefully I will be able to find the part cheaper over here and be able to ship it over to them!

We just wanted to make sure that they could still use it to run down to the shops (about 5miles away!)
PAS Pump Failed - wemyss
Kenny, Your wifes grandad would need muscles like Popeye to turn the steering wheel on a vehicle designed for power steering.
Try turning it on your car without the engine running.
Its not the same as a non assisted vehicle.

Duly noted - not sure if he's Popeye, but he does eat his greens :-)
alvin the only reason power steering is tight with the engine not running is the hydraulic back pressure,if you take the pipes of it is quite free
kenny glad you found the answer,the cheap way to repair power steering pipes is to take the old ones of for comparison and have new flexible pipes made at your nearest agricultural engineer/hydraulic repair centre.flex pipes are easier to put back on (simply because they bend in awkward places)
before anyone says it safety is not an issue as braided flexi hydraulic pipe is rated at 3000psi power steering is nothing like this pressure ,maybe nearer 130psi
PAS Pump Failed - Cyd
If the pipes are disconnected how can it be possible for there to be "no risk of it running with no fluid"? If the pipes are removed there will surely be no fluid left in the pump? If the engine is run with the pipes removed any fluid left in the pump will be pumped out.

If you run the car with no fluid in the pump, then unless you are able to remove the pump drivebelt (depending on what else it drives as well) then you are almost certain the wreck the pump.

There's an independant opel/vaux garage in Coventry I've used who also sells parts on eBay under the user ID indvaux. follow this link to see his items for sale and use the 'contact member' button to get in touch or call on 02476 260060.
search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZindva...x

I would recommend that the only driving this van should see is down to the garage for repair.
thanks for the number Cyd.

It is the pump that has been disengaged and the pipes disconnected, so that is how I can be sure that the pump will not run dry.

I will call the number you have given though and hopefully he will be able to get us some more info.