84 1.8 timing - Rubber Duck
I've recently taken on a 20+ year old Honda Prelude 1.8 EX as my project car. The first thing to go was the water pump which took the head gasket out with it. Having now replaced both plus the timing belt, I find the ignition timing is very erratic. The rev counter has a phantom reading about 4 times higher than it is and is erratic. My friendly local garage, who seem to suffer me gladly, put their digital timing light on it which also showed a high, erratic rev count. It seems the ignition coil is on rapid fire!

I seem to remember that the rev counter was erratic, but not noticeably high, before the rebuild. I think that I may have exacerbated an existing problem.

Does anyone have an idea where the fault may be? My current thinking is that it's something inside the distributor.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/02/2008 at 19:58

Timing on A-reg Honda Prelude EX - sierraman
Is there wear in the distributor?This would give erratic timing,especially if gear driven.
Timing on A-reg Honda Prelude EX - Rubber Duck
Despite being over 20 years old, the car has only done 60,000 miles so I don't suspect undue wear. That said, I'm going to take a very close look at the dissy this weekend! Thanx for your input.
Timing on A-reg Honda Prelude EX - kithmo
Early japanese motors quite often used to suffer from poor connections. Check the security of the ignition coil connections and the connections inside the dizzy, including the earth connection, between the baseplate (where the points or hall effect sensor are mounted) and the body of the dizzy. A bouncy rev counter is a typical symptom of an erratic connection. Also check the ignition live feed.
Timing on A-reg Honda Prelude EX - none
To complicate things, I think that you'll find that the engine rotates anti - clockwise. This used to cause all sorts of problems for unwary mechanics when fitting points.
Timing on A-reg Honda Prelude EX - MoneyMart
Cool car though :-)