French Motorcyclists "foot" - Spospe
I have just returned from a holiday touring France in my motorcaravan and have noticed some rather strange behaviour on the part of many motorcyclists.

After overtaking, they extend their right leg and shake it slightly. Does anyone know the significance of this gesture?

Michael
French Motorcyclists "foot" - borasport20
yes

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33441&...e
French Motorcyclists "foot" - THe Growler
French motorcyclists' "foot" -- it's a condition readily treated with a suitable cream, improved personal hygiene and a daily change of cotton socks.

Sorry -- it's just I was riding with three French pals the other day and we all rib each other mercilessly about our national and cultural differences..........
French Motorcyclists "foot" - DrS
I guess that it's their way of saying "Thank you" for letting them in?
If they wave left handed, you wouldn't see it, if they wave right handed, the throttle snaps shut, they slow down abruptly, and you run them into le tarmac.
The Growler's explanation cannot possibly be correct, as no Frenchman has ever been known to change their socks.
Then again, I can't think of many French people who would be sufficiently polite as to indicate gratitude in any way shape or form?
French Motorcyclists "foot" - bluewishbone4
It took me a while to realise what was going on first time i saw this acknowledgement, now it seems to be catching on over here. A nice way of saying thanks, once you work out your not being invited to join some secret club.

I used to be indecisive now I am not so sure
French Motorcyclists "foot" - PhilW
I have noticed this "French foot", but always took it as a cramp relieving/ occasional stretch of leg thing.

"I can't think of many French people who would be sufficiently polite as to indicate gratitude in any way shape or form?"

I can only assume that that comment is
a) Ironic
b) posted by someone who has never been to France
c) Forms his opinion of foreigners from the Sun/Star/Daily Sport etc

In my (rather long) experience of going to France very frequently, I can only say that I wish the average British person was as friendly, polite and helpful as the average French person. (And sold wine, food, fags, diesel and virtually everything else as cheaply).
The average "surly arrogant Parisian" is far more polite than most of us.
Phil
French Motorcyclists "foot" - montpellier
I live in France...and confirm that the majortiy of bikers use their right leg movement to say 'thankyou' for moving over. However, the 5.000 motorists with burnt out cars are moving both legs to get to work!