Rubberneckers - Cardew
I was on the northbound M40 on Friday lunchtime in fairly light traffic. Suddenly the Discovery in front skidded to a halt(and I mean skidded - no ABS?) and swerved into next lane and all traffic came to a stop; after a couple of seconds everything moved off.

The reason? An old VW camper van was on fire on the southbound carriageway. It had obviously just happened as there were no police and not even a tailback on that carriageway.

Now I appreciate that Discovery driver was braking to avoid the car in front and the concertina effect due to reaction times had taken place, also that it is human nature to look at such incidents. However it seems to me that initially someone must have braked to get a better look at the van on fire.
Rubberneckers - Imagos
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31183&...f

discussed before, and i'm sure no-one will agree with me this time in this thread either.

Rubberneckers - Altea Ego
If I am in a queue caused by an accident, I expect to see something good to look at at when I arrive at the scene. One tends to feel cheated if its all cleared up..All that queueing for nothing.......
Rubberneckers - bikemade3
RF,
Bit of Voyerism going on here, don,t support Arsenal by any chance?
Rubberneckers - BobbyG
RF, I second that opinion!
Rubberneckers - Nsar
And do you hang around a bit if there is something "good" on offer, foot hovering over the throttle, until it's quite obvious to everyone what you're doing?
What's good by the way? Obvious fatalites must feature on your criteria for a real cracker, but do you go away happy with just some blood in evidence, or is that a bit of a let down?
Rubberneckers - Altea Ego
Oh yes - all of that,
Rubberneckers - THe Growler
The other day I got caught in a snarl-up caused by an overturned semi-trailer from which about 80 pigs had got loose and were roaming all over the expressway. Boy was that a sight to see, (at least 5 km-worth of other drivers thought it was) and no amount of ABS would been any good given what all those porkers had done to the road surface.......
Rubberneckers - turbo11
I have never understood when a motorway or major dual carriageway is resurfaced/up graded etc. they dont replace the "armco" barriers with concrete barriers about 4ft in height.This would be as safe (if not more so)than armco and it would prevent "rubbernecking",as you wouldn't be able to see over them.I have seen these concrete barriers on the continent and they seem to work ok.
Rubberneckers - helicopter
I try not to rubberneck but sometimes its unavoidable.

Concrete barriers don't have the shock absorbing capability of Armco which is designed to throw a car back into the same side of the road rather than have a crossover accident with potential 140 mph meeting speed.

I'd certainly rather hit Armco than solid concrete.
Rubberneckers - kennybase
Not too long ago, I was reading about one police force erecting mobile walls to try and stop this rubbernecking.

Can't remember what the area was, or when it was being used, but I'd have thought something like that would work!
Rubberneckers - Xileno {P}
It's human nature to want a quick look. I feel short changed if I have been held up for 30 mins and don't get a quick peep.