I can't vouch for this... - Stuartli
...as it came from a friend who normally sends loads of amusing links, jokes etc:

Have you locked the keys in the car?

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys or remote are home, call someone at home on your cell phone and
ask them to get your car keys/remote.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at home press the unlock button on your key remote whilst holding it near the phone on their end.

Your car will unlock. It will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of
miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the remote for your car, you can unlock the doors
(or boot this way!)

Editor's Note:

"It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone each time we tried it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I can't vouch for this... - Welliesorter
Engage miserable spoilsport mode

www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonelocks.html

I can't vouch for this... - smokie
I love the line in one of Welliesorter's

"One might as well suggest that a spare piano key could be used to gain entry to a locked automobile."
I can't vouch for this... - rtj70
The real spoil sports to some of these urban myths can sometimes be the ones that make them true. Obviously this mobile transmitting radio frequencies is bogus but..

Years ago when my eldest brother started work someone asked him on one occasion to go to stores for the glass hammer and another for a sky hook.

Well Pilkington the spoil sports made a glass hammer to prove the strength of their glass. And a sky hook was a method of rescuing downed USA pilots - a tether to pilot linked to a balloon in the air ready for a plane with a "sky hook" to grab it.

But you learn something automotive everyday. Never knew Onstar provided remote unlocking.
I can't vouch for this... - Chicken Madras
Likewise when I was an engineering apprentice, we were sent for a variety of things:

- A Long Weight. Apprentice goes off to the stores. "Can I have a short/medium/long weight please?" "Ok Sonny, go and stand over there." 10/15/30 minutes later (depending on the "weight" asked for) the storeman lets him go.

- Tartan/Striped paint.

- Left handed screwdrivers.

- A box of 3/4" holes for some 5/8" washers as the one we had did not fit.

- A bucket of sparks for the grinder

- A new bubble for the spirit level

and, getting back to the point of the post:

- A metric adjustable spanner. After someone was sent for one, an adjustable spanner with metric markings on the jaws was found in the Apprentice School.
I can't vouch for this... - Avant
Sorry - am I being thick or is it just too late at night?

How do you lock your keys in the car with the remote plipper outside the car with you? Even if the plipper is outside and the keys inside, you unlock the doors again and retrieve the keys....
I can't vouch for this... - AR-CoolC
I could for example open the boot with the plipper, this only opens the boot not the other doors, whilst getting whatever out of the boot my keys end up in there, I close the boot and then the keys including the plipper are locked in the car.

Yes I've been there and got the t-shirt, luckily I was at home with the car on the drive and spare keys in the house.
I can't vouch for this... - jc
Now these are two genuine ones-no myth-I get out of the car ,set the lock so I can slam-lock it and do so but the end of the key(in my hand gets caught between the door and the frame.Can't free the key,can't open the door.In the end a tyre-lever between door and frame freed the keys.Case two.I close the boot,keys in the hand I'm using to close the boot,they slip out of my hand,slide down the lid,bounce off the back window and into the boot just as it clicks shut.We had to take out the back seat-the screws holding it in were in the boot ,of course,so had to be forced and the spare was mounted at front of boot and for once was securely bolted down-just as well we weren't in a hurry.
I can't vouch for this... - Wally Zebon
How do you lock your keys in the car with the
remote plipper outside the car with you? Even if the
plipper is outside and the keys inside, you unlock the doors
again and retrieve the keys....

You lock your car with the window open and then throw the remote inside before the total closure shuts the window for you!
Happens all the time!

I can't vouch for this... - rtj70
You'd think Wally Zebon's comment described something that doesn't happen. But a friend asked his mother-in-law to lock his car. She pressed the remote to lock it, then as windows etc. were closing threw the keys in through the then open sunroof! And then it wasn't open any more.

The mind boggles.