Temporary speed limits. - Adam {P}
Coudl be wrong but I think the 40 limit. New limits need to be signed by a terminal set (two big signs either side.)

I think...
Temporary speed limits. - v8man
I'm interested because I think there was a similiar incident a few months back where fines had to be refunded in Wiltshire.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Temporary speed limits. - Dwight Van Driver
Single carriageway NSL into roadworks at 40 then back to NSL at end?

The sign to denote the end of the 40 limit is the Roadworks END Sorry for the delay sign.

50 mph limit into a 40 temporary roadworks then NSL. End signified by derestriction sign and roadworks end sign before.

So the presence of the derestriction sign in second para above could be argued to have no effect as it does not come in the Regs, but does under third para above so limit can be argued to be illegally signed.

Obviously the presence of repeaters will play a part as well.

dvd

Temporary speed limits. - patently
the Roadworks END Sorry for the delay sign.

Known in our family as the "Like Hell We Are" sign. ;-)
Temporary speed limits. - JamesH
The sign to denote the end of the 40 limit is
the Roadworks END Sorry for the delay sign.

Often wondered what the legality is where the big derestriction signs are missing, which I have seen a few times. If I carry on pootling along the motorway at 40 it frustrates me and more so the traffic behind, with lorries trying to pass.

I can't believe the roadworks end sign is valid as an end of temporary speed limit. What about a situation where the roadworks with temporary 40 cover the border between an NSL and permanent 40 limit? Heading in the direction of the permanent 40, you would pass the end of roadworks sign but the actual limit would remain 40.

James
Temporary speed limits. - v8man
On the stretch of road in question, the NSL repeaters are between the start and finish of the temporary 40mph limit and are uncovered. I'm hoping DVD may be able to explain which speed limit applies.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Ah so V8man, derestriction repeater sign from your original post has been out copulating during the night and have now become "repeaters"..

Temporary limit is like a pukka one. It has to be signed in a certain way at the start and end of the restriction. The presence of a single rogue sign that has no mention in the original signing may have little effect. (The end of a restriction is not marked by a repeater sized sign - but could be?).The presence of many such signs i.e. the repeaters can cause confusion and thereby give rise to the argument that the limit is incorrectly signed and therefore cannot be enforced.

At the end of the day it would be a matter for the Bench to decide on circumstances appertaining.

As a prudent driver under the circumstances you describe, I would be tempted to stick to the 40 obviously intended thereby avoiding any hassle from TTB.

dvd
James H

The Roadworks SFTD sign is No 7006 and is defined as End of Road Works and of any associated temporary STATUTORY RESTRICTION.

What is the point of having a Temporary Traffic Order for road works with 40 limit on a stretch of road with an existing TRO 40 limit thereon? In this case only road works signs and chevrons etc would be used.

Note where I say above where split limits are involved then I would say in your case then after the RW SFTD sign instead of a NSL sign then it would be 40 signs.

dvd
Temporary speed limits. - JamesH
Dvd, sorry I may have confused. Obviously a temporary 40 would not be applied to a permanent 40. I was thinking of the split limit situation, say on the edge of a village, where half NSL and half permanent 40 are covered by the roadworks. In that situation, heading into the village you may expect the original large 40 signs to remain in place, and could expect further 40 signs after the RW end SFAD, as you say.

My thought was that supposing the original 40 signs for the village were not present and no 40 signs were after the RW end SFAD either, maybe through an oversight, since the temporary stretch and permanent stretch have 40 repeaters, thus looking like one continuous limit to the untrained eye. In this case, a driver's interpretation could wrongly be that the road reverts to NSL at the SFAD sign.

It is a hypothetical situation and hopefully always avoided in practice. Thinking further, it would be better in the situation above to just use a conventional roadworks end sign.
Temporary speed limits. - Sofa Spud
Where they're building a new roundabout on the A361 Frome bypass, there is a temporary 40mph limit. Within that limit, new permanent 50mph signs were briefly put up. I was musing on whether it would be legal to speed up to 50 at the new sign and slow down to 40 again at the next temporary repeater, about 100 metres further on. The 50 signs have now been removed from their posts!

Cheers. SS