Ka Spark plugs - jc
Now I've got 20,000 ml.on my car I thought I would change the plugs,it was running Ok but having heard of problems,I decided to change them anyway.I'd taken them out when new and put copper grease on the threads.Well,they came out easily but three of the four had rust on the threads;I put in Champions which I notice have plated threads but still greased them.I wanted NGK but couldn't get any.
Ka Spark plugs - MW
Very good practice to take them out and grease them. Look how you recieved your reward! They came out easily now. I would not worry too much about the make of plug. Over the years I used the lot. I can't really say I have noticed any difference. I know that Champion are not favoured, and I have heard they 'are rubbish' but I have never found it to be so. They make billions each year. I was told that Bosch give a very good meter reading, and I used them, but only because they are easily available and very cheap.
Does anyone have any OBJECTIVE empirical evidence that any one make is superior?
Ka Spark plugs - Red Baron
I would really like something more than anecdotal or marketing evidence to go on. My Alfa is due new plugs only every 60k miles and is due some about now (done 120k). I haven't changed them as I need 8 and good ones are at least £10 each.

When is it most prudent to change plugs?

Falling mpg, rough sounding engine etc.?
Ka Spark plugs - nick
I would say 60k is pushing it for a spark plug. I'd change them now. By the time you notice poor running, it will have been going on for some time. To be brutally frank, if you can't afford to service a particular car, you're driving the wrong car.
Ka Spark plugs - mfarrow
Yes there are stories of Ka plugs rusting themselves in, though I imagine the new* engine doesn't have this problem.

* Ka's built after third quarter (ish) 2002 have a completely different engine based on the Zetec design.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Ka Spark plugs - frazerjp
I think Ford dealers use NGK plugs, which IMO are the most popular make of spark plugs U.K if not on this planet!

My last service at the dealers didnt include a plug change because i'd only done 5k since the last one, how long does the optimum life of a spark plug last in any car?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ka Spark plugs - jc
Most Ford dealers use Motorcraft(Ford)or Bosch(sometimes packaged in Motorcraft boxes)plugs but they don't have to.I used NGK plugs for years ,hangover from my m/c days but when I went to buy some I couldn't get any-didn't try very hard tho'.GM in the US own AC-Delco.Incidentally the AC stood for Albert Champion who then split from them to set up on his own.
Ka Spark plugs - jc
Something else-most plugs should be able to do 50,000 ml.but only if they have platinum main and-repeat and-side electrode.This is usually designated by PP somewhere in the plug number.A single P means just one electrode is plated.Earlier plugs used CC & C to show they were plated with copper.Before that they were bare steel.The main reasons for long plug life is unleaded fuel and better combustion.
Ka Spark plugs - MW
I can't see any advantage in letting plugs go on for tens of thousands of miles. Euro Car Parts does Bosch plugs for about £5 for 4. I know these are one up from the basic plug, but they are great. Good starting etc. Poor plugs drink up petrol. Under 2 gallons = a new set of plugs. Why struggle? I replace them every 12,000 miles. Its so easy, and once done, I know I will have 15 months with no problems. Plugs are so cheap and reliable that its crazy to leave them in for years.
Ka Spark plugs - jc
A good website is www.spark-plugs.co.uk