BX hydraulic fluid level - Andrew
For years the indicator float in the hydraulic reservoir on my BX hasn't moved. This is maybe because I've put too much fluid in and then, when it goes down, the float remains stuck.( I have one or two tiny fluid leaks). Haynes suggests measuring coolant levels with a previously wiped oil dipstick to allow a column of 25 - 30 cms of coolant.

Can anyone let me know the depth of hydraulic fluid if a similar procedure is followed? One mechanic blamed the rotting of the large coolant pipe underneath the hydraulic reservoir as due to LHM washing over it - any truth in this?
Re: BX hydraulic fluid level - JohnD
Hi Andrew - If you poke your index finger in the tank and you get the tip of it wet with LHM, the level is about right. Why not change the fluid and put the float right? Your mechanic is correct, - LHM wont do rubber components any good. Make sure it hasn't leaked on to your driveshaft gaiter.
Re: BX hydraulic fluid level - Andy Bairsto
Raise the car to the highest level ,the float should be now between the two lines in the glass indicator
Re: BX hydraulic fluid level - gav
Youve had few leaks. I would call that lucky. My mate had one of these and it was the Bx from hell. Took about a gallon of LHM a week. The pipework was forever giving up. They would incident was on a busy motorway, we noticed the car getting decidely bumpy as the LHM went out. Then the power steering started to go, so the car couldnt be turned. The warning stop light came on , on the dash, the problem wa that we couldnt at that stage, as the car had lost servo assistance. I wish you luck!!