Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - BobbyG
My Scenic 1.9dci has 17k miles and due its service at 18k. It has just came up with a warning message - "Change Oil Soon".

Is this just a standard message when it nears its service due, or should I be trying to bring the service forward and not using the car till then?
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - Imagos
Ignore it, just a standard pre-programmed message.

IMO though 18000 miles is far too long for it's first oil change. Still fine to use the car but think about getting a service quite soon.
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - Altea Ego
Yes its just counting the miles since the last time it was reset. The goona comes up with a flashing spanner (oppps forgot, used to come up with a flashing spanner)
Cheers for that. went into one dealer today to enquire about the cost of the 18,000 mile service. £220 the nice lady told me at the service desk. After she had asked if it was petrol or diesel. She asked this after I had said it was a dci. Mmmm!

With the stories of the 18,000 mile services and whether this is too long between oil changes, I think I would prefer a 9000 mile service that was only £110 a time! Be better for my engine!

Looked over the worksheet for my service and it all just seems to be check...check...check. Only changes are oil and filters. Awful lot of money for what it gets!
BobbyG. Make sure they pre order the Pollen Filter. It gets changed every 18k mile service, so they tend to run out and errrrr not bother.....
Thanks RF - how do I make sure that it has been changed? Should I ask for the old filters to be kept for me to see them?
No point really, they probably have a bin of used ones out the back! Just mention it. That should prove to them you are savvy enough to know about it and would spot an unchanged one.
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - Will_375
Quote:- Thanks RF - how do I make sure that it has been changed? Should I ask for the old filters to be kept for me to see them?

It is very easy to see if the pollen filter has been changed. Pop off the plastic engine cover (the one with DCi written on it where the dip-stick lives)
Look to the aft of the engine on the rear bulkhead ? you will see a little window in the centre with some rotating clips. If you open and remove this panel the pollen filter is right there in front of you - it slide out forwards.
To check it slide it out and inspect ? it should be nice and clean (more white than grey with no debris inside the vanes)

Do garages still charge for work that they haven?t done back in UK? (Eeeek)

Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - Xileno {P}
18K - much to long in my opinion.

Get them to check/clean the EGR valve as well, they should have the tool to do this now. Or DIY, quite easy to get at on the 1.9 although can be quite tight in its chamber. Fit a new seal though.
Phoned 3 dealers for prices for the service - range from $220 to $165. Guess what one I am going to!

Asked them about the EGR Valve - they said that although there is reported issues with these, they themselves have never encountered any problems with them and therefore any works on them re cleaning etc would be chargeable as Renault haven't authorised any change to the standard servicing schedule or warranty work.

Does that sound a bit right? She also said that the EGR had sensors etc on it that would show up on the diagnostics if there were problems?

Am I worrying about something that I don't need to worry about?
I cannot comment on the service schedule aspect, if that's what the garage are saying, then I am sure that is the official position from Renault.

From a french site I often visit, there seems to be a view that those cars used predominantly in urban areas *may* suffer more from sooting up of the EGR valve. Also the french drive their cars much harder than we do which is one of the best things you can do - give it a really good thrashing at least once a week through all the gears - with the engine at operating temperature obviously.

I still hold the view that the best preventative treatment for the EGR valve is regular oil changes using a good quality fully synthetic oil and regular Italian tuning.

I've seen an article on remving the EGR valve from a dCi engine somewhere, I will see if I can find it and post back later.
Not the article I originally found, but this will do:

www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...5
Oh, link doesn't seem to be working properly. Anyway, it's in the FAQ section, 'How do I clean my EGR valve?'
I drove my goona fairly hard*, No sniff of EGR failure.

*Once a week, at night with car lights behind, to the rev limiter through 1st and 2nd till the cloud behind was fairly clear.
Quote:- Get them to check/clean the EGR valve as well, they should have the tool to do this now. Or DIY, quite easy to get at on the 1.9 although can be quite tight in its chamber. Fit a new seal though.

Where is the EGR Valve located on the 1.9DCi engine?

What is the problem if the valve is not checked, and becomes stuck open or closed?

Regards,
Will.
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - jc
Driving hard won't clear the EGR valve;it does not open at wide throttle opening-rev it well at part throttle.If it sticks closed or is blocked,performance should increase(at part throttle) and emissions of NOX will incrase substantially.Stuck open,you'll lose performance and smoke will increase.
The proper operation of the valve is crucial. The NOX is for maintaining the engine temperature. If the valve jams shut, then the temperature will rise with the possibility of damaging the turbo.

I often read of people removing EGR valves (I'm refering to various makes, not specifically Renaults). I am far from convinced that this is wise, even if the engine appears to run normally, I would question the long term effects of doing this. Leave it how it left the factory!
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - cheddar
Shouldn't cause a problem engine wise in removing an EGR though the Cat might get damaged, it is really only a bit of emmisions kit, go back beyond 10 years or so and they did not exist.
Quote:- Looked over the worksheet for my service and it all just seems to be check...check...check. Only changes are oil and filters. Awful lot of money for what it gets!

What kind of checks were carried out? Just looking or pysical measurments and removal of items etc (ie EGR Valve correct operation?)

So it sounds like you are paying for a very expencive car wash and oil and filter change then! My Scenic has just reached 10,000 miles and by the sounds of what is written here I am better off changing the oil and filter myself as there are no other issues with the car to this point. Will I really lose that much off the trade-in value in the future in comparision to what I would be spending on a very simple service! (which should be done at a much reduced milage anyway!!)

Quote:- Shouldn't cause a problem engine wise in removing an EGR though the Cat might get damaged, it is really only a bit of emmisions kit, go back beyond 10 years or so and they did not exist.

I was not aware that diesel engines had a Cat? I know in my book it mentions a partical filter that needs changing at some point in the future. Doesn't the EGR system also prolong the turbo life by using the NOX gas to cool the exhuast output temperature?
It sounds like if this valve is not working properly becase it is not checked by the garage, or because I remove it and do not replace it properly then I may require a new turbo charger in the not so distant future?
Scenic !! Dci Oil Warning Message - Armitage Shanks {p}
You'll love the particle filter bill, when you get it! Just under £700 at 72,000 miles on a EU4 compliant Peugeot and for this you get a few £s a year off your road tax! A tree huggers no-brainer IMHO
Quote:- You'll love the particle filter bill, when you get it! Just under £700 at 72,000 miles on a EU4 compliant Peugeot and for this you get a few £s a year off your road tax! A tree huggers no-brainer IMHO

Do you have to replace this filter when it gets sooted up? Could you continue to motor on and just live with the message?
Does this filter get replaced on time/mileage or could short runs accelerate the process?

I am lucky enough to have got out of the UK a couple of years ago - life in Luxembourg is a lot cheaper, my road tax is a mere ?56 (£38) a year and diesel is £0.62/litre!