Castrol oils for VAG engines - daveyjp
Word of warning - Castrol's marketing boys must have been given a budget increase and all their oils have been rebranded and renamed.

I needed a litre of Castrol SLX II longlife oil for topping up my A3. Went along to Halfords and searched and searched - none on the shelves. I asked the assistant and was informed all Castrol Synthetic now comes under the brand of 'Castrol Edge' - you need to choose the correct viscosity for the vehicle and servicing pattern you are using.

The bottles are all the same apart from the viscosity number and for a short time it will say on the bottle, in very small writing, 'Replaces Castrol XYZ'.

As all the bottles are placed next to each other be sure you pick up the correct one for your vehicle.

In four years of Audi ownership this is the third bottle of Castrol oil I have bought and each time it is been in a different bottle!
Castrol oils for VAG engines - storme
thx for the warning,,,was on my way to get some for my beemer

now i know to look real hard :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
Castrol oils for VAG engines - PhilDS
Watch the prices too. A 4.5l bottle is over £40 though still better than the £13 a litre that I normally pay!
Castrol oils for VAG engines - Chas{P}
Castrol's so called bullet proof branding means that the marketing and pricing can run out of hand. The sort of prices you are paying are scandalous. Look at technical; there's a sticky thread with lots of oil specification information to gain some insight.

My recommendation is seek out engine oil that complies to the specification you need irrespective of brand then find the cheapest price.

HTH

Charles
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Castrol oils for VAG engines - wantone
there's not that many brands that do the latest vag longlife oils and they all charge stupid money. you might save a couple of pound seartching around but its not worth it.get the most accessible.
Castrol oils for VAG engines - mark999
VW Quantum branded oils are excellent quality and reasonably priced at the dealer.
Castrol oils for VAG engines - bimmer-driver
We sell a Comma brand VW long life oil where I work thats relatively well priced. I think its 35 quid for 5 litres.

Ben
Castrol oils for VAG engines - nortones2
But IIRC its not on the list of oils tested and approved by VAG to 506.01 or the later 504/507 standards, even though Comma is owned by something big in this field. Use at your own risk.