Computer Related Questions - Volume 69 - smokie

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 70 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35980

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 69. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

ATAPI and FDD confusion on ebay - mfarrow
Firstly, thanks to all who responded to my network drive queery. I'll let you know how I get on next time I backup (which should be today I guess!).

ATAPI and FDD confusion on ebay

I'm thinking of buying one of those internal Floppy/card reader devices for my PC. A lot have descriptions like "ATAPI interface for standard FDD connector on motherboard". Forgive me for getting this wrong, but surely ATAPI (being a 40 pin port and an extention of IDE) is completely different to a standard FDD interface which has 34 pins?

--------------
Mike Farrow
ATAPI and FDD confusion on ebay - Pete M
The floppy only needs the 34 pin dedicated interface, which usually connects directly to the 'bridge' chip on the motherboard. That interface can't communicate with the memory cards. The ATAPI standard allows for removable discs such as CDs, removable hard drives, memory cards etc. The floppy can also be accessed as an ATAPI device. Many of these readers are USB, either 1.1 or 2.0, but if you don't want to use that, it will have to take up a place on the ATAPI bus. Most motherboards have the ability to deal with up to four drives (primary/secondary and master/slave).
Ah! Thanks Pete.

I get what they mean now... that the memory card is effectively a drive which is routed through the USB, but has an ATAPI interface into the IDE controller (like selecting a USB drive in the BIOS). Does this mean these devices aren't hot-swapable, or is that just a problem with parallel ATA devices?

Incidently the drive has 34 pins, which is a good thing!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Firstly, thanks to all who responded to my network drive queery.
I'll let you know how I get on next time
I backup (which should be today I guess!).

Yup, got it working. Needed to get rid of the last \\ to read \\\\mfarrow\\backup

--------------
Mike Farrow
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - smokie
Does anyone have one of these new fangled mouses which has a rocking wheel for sideways scroll?

I just got a new one (MS Wireless Optical Mouse v 2.0a, cheap from eBay) but it had no software. So I have downloaded IP5_3ENG.exe from the Microsoft site which appears to be the correct and latest drivers, and installed them. I've configured the mouse (Control Panel/Mouse) as a Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 which seems the closest match, and checked that horizontal and vertical scrolling are on. Vertical scroll works fine but horizontal doesn't work at all. This is the same on two computers.

Am I missing something?
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - Adam {P}
Smokie,

When you put the cursor in some text, can you get the cursor to move left and right using the wheel?
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - Stuartli
Is it a USB mouse (I'm presuming it is). You should install the drivers before connecting the mouse (applies to USB peripherals).

Alternatively, try uninstalling the mouse in Device Driver and then rebooting.

PS

You do appear to have the correct driver for this particular mouse.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - smokie
No Adam, it won't scroll there either.

Stuart - it's a USB mouse but with a PS2 convertor, I'm using it as PS2.

Will try the driver thing later (and also directly into USB).
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - kennybase
It may be that you have the USB driver then. When doing the install, did it ask you how you were connecting the mouse?

I'd recommend using this mouse as a USB mouse - its what it was designed as, and will work much better as a USB mouse. (I have to use USB mice now since the laptop makers stopped putting in PS2!!)
Microsoft mouse - horizontal scrolling - Stuartli
>>I'd recommend using this mouse as a USB mouse>>

Shouldn't really make any difference. I use an optical wireless mouse whose receiver uses the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports and the rodent does all the functions of which it is capable; the same applies to the multi-function keyboard.
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
HP psc 1110 allinone ? - Petel
Is there anyone out there, who purchased on of these Hewlett Packard combined printer/scanner/copiers from new please? If so, could you please confirm if a CD of software/drivers came in the box with the unit ?
Thank you, Pete.
HP psc 1110 allinone ? - Adam {P}
I have a PSC 2110 and it came with two discs. One for all the scanning rubbish and one with the drivers I think.

If I can find them later I'll tell you exactly what they are but I definitely got two discs.
HP psc 1110 allinone ? - Petel
OK, Panic over, she has found the disk. My thanks for your reply in any case. It appears that the 1110 was only issued with one disk but as long as it has the drivers on it, I should be able to make the damned thing work.
Thanks again, Pete.
Toshiba Satellite Laptops ? - Petel
Is there anyone out there, who still has or who purchased from new please, a Satellite 220CS or a Sat Pro 490CDT/XCDT ? If so, could you please confirm if a CD recovery/utilities disk came with the machine ?
Thank you, Pete.
Toshiba Satellite Laptops ? - kennybase
I can't comment specifically on these models, but I have bought 3 Toshiba laptops from new, and all have come with the recovery discs, so I'd assume that they all would.

Connecting laptop to net - BobbyG
I have an Acer Wireless Laptop which I connect via router in house. No problem.

However, I was wondering how do I connect to the net if I decide to take it into work where there is no internet access or "hot spot" (its a supermarket)

Is there a way of connecting through the mobile phone companies etc? How dear would it be? What would I need?
Connecting laptop to net - Adam {P}
It's possible yes. You would need a phone capable of getting you on the net connected with your laptop.

From what limited knowledge I have about it, it's fairly slow and costly unless you're doing quick things such as checking mail but I really am out of my depth with it I'm afraid.

Can be done though.

P.S. Check your mail
Connecting laptop to net - AlastairW
If your laptop has an old fashioned internal 56k modem (even if you dont use it at present) why not connect to a phone point and dial up on one of the pay as you go ISPs. If you are only checking email and the like the calls wouldnt be too long.
Connecting laptop to net - smokie
Guys at work have a PCMCIA card which is a "mobile" modem - that is you don't need to plug it in anywhere. I want one but don't know what to ask for but it sounds like what you want to.
Connecting laptop to net - Adam {P}
There you go then. Things have moved on since my day ;-)
Connecting laptop to net - Leif
Some phones have an infra red port - IRDA I think - and if you have a similar port on your laptop, you can use the phone as the data carrier. I think a friend had to buy a plug in IRDA card for his laptop. He used GPRS so the data transfer rates were slow i.e. similar to a dial up modem. I think you can do it with a GSM phone too, in which case you get something like 9.6 kbps or less.

Also all phones have a connector for a data cable, that can attach to a PC serial or USB port. I know this can be used for controlling the phone from the PC, because I've done it, but I'm not sure if you can run TCPIP over the cable i.e. get internet access. It might be worth checking out as the cable is cheap, and thus all you need is the right drivers for the PC! A serial port can give you up to about 100 kbps and a USB port can give you much more than that, so it's worth checking out. I suspect that the facility if it exists will be phone specific.

Your last option is 3G. A colleague has a Vodaphone 3G card - PCMCIA I think - that gives him broadband transfer rates. Price isn't too bad - a monthly rental roughly comparable to broadband at home - if he keeps within the limits ( 2GB per month IIRC), but he thinks that their billing is inaccurate, and they charge him a lot for exceeding the limits when he is sure that he has not. The card cost £100+.

Leif
Connecting laptop to net - R75
I have done it via the infra red port on the phone and the laptop, not too difficult to set up, Most mobile phone makers do a software suite to allow the connection (I know Nokia and Samsung do), But it is expensive to connect this way, you do not want to surf the net via this method!!! Data over gprs is about £2 per meg on many mobile tariffs, this page is just over a meg iirc with all the ads. The way to get round it is to load pages as text only versions, thats what I do on my XDA 2i, it cuts the data costs down dramatically. Or get a data tariff from your operator but again it is quite expensive, The 3G cards are supposed to be good if you are in a reception area, but that is still a bit flakey. Seems like the best bet is to use the modem and dialup ISP account method.
Connecting laptop to net - No FM2R
Without doubt T/U & others are correct that the modem/dialup method is the best [cheapest]. However, you're probably going to find that either your phones at work are digital, or your bosses object to you using their phones or both.

So consider the following..

Buy yourself a bluetooth dongle for the laptop, they're about £25, and then dial out through your cell phone. As far as your cell phone is concerned its just a normal voice call so you'll pay whatever your calls normally cost. Provided you have the more usual ISP agreement then they won't care. If you use something like a BT charge back service which attempts to debit your telephone number retrospectively for usage then you may have problems. In fact the BT service will cope, but some of them don't.

If you're only doing e-mail its quite sufficient. Somewhat painful for browsing the internet though, and downright impossible for remote applications.

If you need more then you next consider getting your phone GPRS enabled. That's better, quite expensive if you do a lot of downloading, and still insufficient for remote applications.

I would say its unlikely that you need a 3G card, but that is the next option. 3G will default to 2G in the dead spots, so that typically is nto an issue. You need to look at the charge basis and see how that fits with your usage -I would suggest that you'll find it too expensive.
Connecting laptop to net - $till $kint
Consider also that there are a huge number of unprotected home and office wireless networks out there. Wandering the half mile from my office to the "lunchtime office" each day my pda picks up over a dozen networks and 5 of these are totally unprotected/encrypted. And this is in a fairly quiet part of Bournemouth, a couple of miles from the town centre.

Guess when I update my email? Yup, on the back of these broadband connections.

Connecting laptop to net - NowWheels
Guess when I update my email? Yup, on the back
of these broadband connections.

Limited chance of being caught, and the owners may not object anyway, but AFAIK that is illegal.

It's amazing how many wireless routers are left unprotected. When I got my wifi laptop, I found that two of my neighbours had unsecured wifi. When I told them, they didn't see it as a problem ... until I said that this sounded like a good way for me to get some free extra bandwidth if needed.
Connecting laptop to net - Citroënian {P}
Worth bearing in mind that it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to intercept all the traffic on their "open" WiFi network, so be aware these may be honey traps.

Of course, you'd hope that anything in SSL (encrypted) is safe, but you'd be surprised what you can gain by scanning ordinary network traffic.

I'd be careful myself with this sort of thing, and especially in cities.

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Worth bearing in mind that it wouldn't take a rocket scientist
to intercept all the traffic on their "open" WiFi network, so
be aware these may be honey traps.
Of course, you'd hope that anything in SSL (encrypted) is safe,
but you'd be surprised what you can gain by scanning ordinary
network traffic.
I'd be careful myself with this sort of thing, and especially
in cities.

I've got a get-out-of-jail card. The pda defaults to wi-fi if available but will divert to gprs if no network is available. Ooops your honour, I was under the impression I had connected via gprs as I usually do when away from my office or home networks.

As for them picking up my email account details, I'm not bothered. It's an account purely for personal stuff and nothing sensitive goes through it. I have different accounts for online purchases and for business and only connect to those by more secure means.
Limited chance of being caught, and the owners may not object
anyway, but AFAIK that is illegal.

B-b-b-bad to the b-b-b-bone, that's me. I'm a rufty, tufty, rowdy rebel and I don't care who I take down with on my journey of self-destructive anarchy.
Connecting laptop to net - Dalglish
Limited chance of being caught, and the owners may not object
anyway, but AFAIK that is illegal.

>>

yes, as this man found out to his cost:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

.. a West London man fined £500 and sentenced to 12 months' conditional discharge for hijacking a wireless broadband connection, has repercussions for almost every user of wi-fi networks ..
"Gaining unauthorised access to someone else's network is an offence and people have to take responsibility for their actions. Some people might argue that taking a joy-ride in someone else's car is not an offence either," he said.

Gaining unauthorised access to a computer is an offence covered by the Computer Misuse Act. In Straszkiewcz's case, he was prosecuted under the Communications Act and found guilty of dishonestly obtaining an electronic communications service. ....

>> Limited chance of being caught, and the owners may not
object
>> anyway, but AFAIK that is illegal.
>>
yes, as this man found out to his cost:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

::Yawn::

I'll take my chances.
Mind you, this guy was, to put it mildly, a bit of a plonker. For 3 months this chap regulalry sits in a car in the middle of West London tapping away on his laptop, always in the same location. Duh!

Whereas one bloke wandering along the street to the pub each lunchtime with a PDA in his pocket..... I don't see the Police helicopter pursuing me on that one.

I don't see the Police helicopter pursuing me on that one.

>>

same thought process as used by the shoplifters in the high street. the stuff is there, no security, so they are fully justified in taking advantage. after all, the shops make enough profit and can afford to lose a few pennies, can't they. no one loses. everyone gains.

Connecting laptop to net - cheddar
>> I don't see the Police helicopter pursuing me on that
one.
>>
same thought process as used by the shoplifters in the high
street. the stuff is there, no security, so they are fully
justified in taking advantage. after all, the shops make enough profit
and can afford to lose a few pennies, can't they. no
one loses. everyone gains.

It is more like the fare jumper's argument 'well the train was going anyway so no one has lost out' however if the BB customer has a bandwidth cap then they might well lose out by others high jacking their bandwidth.
>> I don't see the Police helicopter pursuing me on that
one.
>>
same thought process as used by the shoplifters in the high
street. the stuff is there, no security, so they are fully
justified in taking advantage. after all, the shops make enough profit
and can afford to lose a few pennies, can't they. no
one loses. everyone gains.

Yes, I'm a thief and should be hung by my ankles from the nearest cctv camera mast.

Ah, the virtuous world some of us live in. Life must be so simple in black and white, with never a shade of grey. All Google's work in producing their multi-coloured corporate image must be lost on these poor souls.
Connecting laptop to net - NowWheels
Yes, I'm a thief and should be hung by my ankles
from the nearest cctv camera mast.

We couls suggest that you do community service as a speed bump, but you might not meet the required profile ;-)
Ah, the virtuous world some of us live in. Life
must be so simple in black and white, with never a
shade of grey.

So if I found your car keys, and took your car for a wee spin, what shade of grey would that be? (OK, probably a metallic one ...)

Seriously, though, I think that while this one is clearcut legally, it is a bit grey morally. If the owner of the wifi has a bandwidth limit or pays per MB, then your usage would incur a direct cost, so it'd be like eating someone's lunch. But most broadband connections are flat-fee, and most users are well below their bandwidth quotas, so there is no cost to the owner from your use. The thing that would really concern me if my wifi was used would be illicit activity on my connection, such as emailing illegal pictures.
Connecting laptop to net - Dynamic Dave
Buy yourself a bluetooth dongle for the laptop, they're about £25,

Way too expensive. £9.95 + p&p is what I paid for mine.

www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1412.htm

Clearly there are some unencrypted wireless networks out there though most are not running DHCP so to make use of them you need to establish yourself an IP on the network and find things like the DNS server addresses etc. Otherwise it is common to come across the SSID of an encrypted network that is not 'hidden'.

With regard to using a laptop in different places, I have a wireless card in my laptop and use a neat bit of software called netswitcher to change the TCPIP settings for each of two office locations and home, i.e. I have three TCPIP profiles which I switch between, this should really be a feature in Windows nowdays. It clearly helps having a wireless router in each location.
Connecting laptop to net - Altea Ego
Clearly there are some unencrypted wireless networks out there though most are not running DHCP so to make use of them you need to establish yourself an IP...................

Nope most ARE running DHCP, its just a simple matter of turn up, get given an IP and away you go.

From a certain location I visited last week, I had a choice of three, one of which was an outlet of a chain of DIY stores that happily gave me an IP address and I surfed the web.
The lack of WiFi security awareness is really quite alarming. A friend owns a local bike shop and has a wireless network allowing him to have his server in the workshop whilst running a laptop at the front of the store. He can access all his work requirements and can get into his extensive library of mp3s to play in the shop via the laptop. He was moaning to me about the poor signal so I suggested he look at hardwiring or moving/upgrading the antennae on the router. Then a thought occurred to me.....

I fired up the PDA and found, to his horror, that I could not only access the net using his router, but could access all the mp3s on his server by selecting the "connects to work" option.

He wasn't very pleased......
We have a neighbour who I have informed that their network is open,to the extent that even their router is accessible, and it shows the password to their broadband account, they still havent restricted it yet, even though I have offered to help, still means my skype calls on the PDA go through theirs and the same when I am out and about, why pay for a call home when nice kind people leave their system open to all the world.
Nope most ARE running DHCP, its just a simple matter of
turn up, get given an IP and away you go.

Many businesses assume that by running fixed IP's they do not need to worry about encryption. Clearly the worst cases are non encrypted DHCP systems though, it like leaving the door open, the lights on and a sign saying 'help yourself'.
Connecting laptop to net - Baskerville
Clearly there are some unencrypted wireless networks out there though most
are not running DHCP so to make use of them you
need to establish yourself an IP on the network and find
things like the DNS server addresses etc.

As RF says, most use DHCP by default. They also have default passwords such as Login: Netgear, Password: Password and many people don't bother changing them. There's plenty of fun to be had. Imagine all those calls to technical support about "Why won't my Internet work after 7pm?"
Connecting laptop to net - Stuartli
Intel's UK division, to promote its Centrino processors, issued a booklet about wi-fi some 18 months or so ago that lists around a dozen websites detailing wif-fi "hot spots".
A hotspot is a pay-to-access WiFi node. Somewhat different from those with open networks who are doing the paying whilst others access.

Bless 'em all.
But there are open "hot spots" available or about to be made so.

Starbucks has several of its outlets with the feature, some hotel groups now offer it, some train operators and even participating McDonald's outlets.

Some people are finding this device useful:

tinyurl.com/9nq43
Yes but stuartli, Mcdonalds and Starbucks etc are PAY to use wifi nodes. You need a subscription or pay for a token at the outlet.

That tight, cider drinking, fat country bumpkin is talking about STEALING (damn his eyes) NOT PAYING for a wifi node.
You need a subscription or pay for a token at the outlet.

>>

and there are some who allow wifi access without any payment with their full consent. the key point is a matter of "owner's consent".

so called "joyriding" is taking without owner's consent.
drive-offs at petrol stations without paying for the fuel.
sownloading and using "free" software or music, etc.

to a criminal mind these are all a matter of degree, all in the colours of the rainbow (i.e. parts of white) and nowhere near black. some people will even justify crimes of the extreme against persons where consent was not given on the basis that they had not taken precautions for their own safety and so were "asking for it".

end of discussion of this issue here on my part here. i shall now get back to some computer hacking.

>>Yes but stuartli, Mcdonalds and Starbucks etc are PAY to use wifi nodes>>

tinyurl.com/csybd

tinyurl.com/887bv

www.wififreespot.com/europe.html
Stuart thats 2003!
Connecting laptop to net - BobbyG
Thanks for all your suggestions and the subsequent debate. Being honest with you, the cost looks slightly prohibitive for what i was going to use it for (in other words probably surfing this site whilst at work!)

Found the WiFi discussion very interesting though. AFAIK I have my home router set up with security and access only allowed for my desktop and laptop. However, is there an easy way to check if it is secure without chapping the doors and finding someone else with a wi-fi laptop or pda and inviting them over?
You could turn off the security on the Laptop, then if it fails to connect, the network is secure(ish). I have mine filtered using the MAC address, which is supposed to be more secure then WEP etc.

Just as a side point, I was loading at a scrap yard one day last week and it was near a housing estate, I spent quite some time surfing the net and downloading emails via someones wifi network, my thanks goes out to them for leaving it accessible, stopped me getting too bored ;o)
btinternet.com versus btopenworld.com - SjB {P}
Some of those who write to me do so from their btinternet.com address instead of the equivalent one for btopenworld.com. Ostensibly, both are the same thing, but apparently not; whenever they do this to any of my several personal e-mail accounts, their e-mail is delivered to me without problem. Whenever they do so to my work e-mail account however their e-mail isn't delivered and the log file shows no trace of it ever even reaching the server let along getting as far as spam or other filters.

I write in case any BRer has had the same or similar problem? The obvious workaround of writing from btopenworld to my work address works every time but sometimes my correspondents forget about the problem and then wonder why I don't respond to their mail.

TVM.
btinternet.com versus btopenworld.com - codefarm
There are large databases of known spamming domains and IP address ranges which ISPs subscribe to. It's possible your correspondents servers have found their way on to one of those databases, hence the mails are getting filtered out.
btinternet.com versus btopenworld.com - SjB {P}
Thanks codefarm.

Current investigation is centred on proving whether the e-mail reaches the ISP's gateway from the outside world, i.e before it is touched by any of their filters. If I learn anything useful, I will post it here.

Thankfully the ISP appears geared towards wanting to assist what is a large business account rather than the "not interested with your weany problem Mr Punter" that I got from another ISP a few years ago with a personal account problem.
btinternet.com versus btopenworld.com - cheddar
I had a BT Broadband account for a shortwhile, they did not have an SMPT server though I managed to configure my e-mail to come through another ISP's SMTP. At the time you needed a BTYahoo BB account to use SMTP e-mail, just wonder if this is connnected, i.e. that one or other of the BT services is using POP only e-mail servers and some recipients are not configured to recieve from them.
CMOS battery plugs ?? - Petel
Can anyone out there please confirm for me, the name of or a supplier for, those tiny little white two and three pin plugs used on CMOS battery packs in various laptops, inc Toshiba ? These are the plugs on the ends of the wires which fit into sockets which are normally surface mounted.
Thank you, Pete.
CMOS battery plugs ?? - Stuartli
Try www.laptopbits.co.uk - it sells new and used laptops, carries spare parts and also does repairs.
iMac - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

I'm seriously contemplating jumping into the Apple pool for a paddle. The G3 iMacs are going very cheap now (on eBay) and the G4 stuff is coming down too.

I think I want a G4 (coolest...yes, I know) with a 17" running OSX 10.3 or 10.4 . I've had a look around eBay and there's not much on there that appeals, so my question(s)

* Any pitfalls to a G4 (screen mount aside),
* how much should I look to pay,
* what sort of spec do I need - it's a plaything so probably just t'Interweb & email
* and finally where can I get one cheap that isn't eBay.

Or would a G3 be enough to happily run tiger if it had enough RAM - would 500Mhz be enough? again, how much to pay and where from.

Thanks all,

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
iMac - Baskerville
OSX is a very, very capable system; I don't think Apple is exaggerating about it being the most advanced OS available. Just for comparison, Tiger (10.4) includes many features slated to appear in the next version of Windows (due late next year), which won't run very well, if at all, on most current PCs. What I'm getting at is that OSX it's a heavyweight beast, especially with all the bells and whistles (Spotlight, Dashboard etc.) running. On the up side, OSX is RAM hungry, rather than processor hungry.

I have a G4 iBook with 512mb of RAM and it is significantly faster than O/H's, which is identical, but has only 384mb of RAM. The G4 with 512mb is running 10.3 Panther and is pretty quick; I don't think it would have trouble running Tiger (and I'm sure it will one day), but I suspect a G3, unless you have a lot of RAM, would be annoying. With a G3 I'd settle for Panther (and 512mb of RAM, minimum).

The other thing to consider is that the iLife suite (basic photo, music, and video editing software) that comes with Macs is very slick and you will want to use it. I didn't think I would, but gradually I find I'm making videos, manipulating photographs (for publication), and doing things I'd never considered before. Tiger also allows three-way video conference calls using iChat (basically AIM), but that requires a G5 ;-) All of that takes up resources anyway and you'll be annoyed if it lags.

Buy the most Mac you can afford is what I'm saying.
iMac - Baskerville
I should also have said that Macs all come with a decent (if not spectacular) video card, so that takes pressure off the system resources.

As for buying, have you looked in the magazines--Mac Format?
iMac - Citroënian {P}
Baskerville,

Many thanks for that reply - solid gold advice and exactly what I was looking for.

I'll have a wander into town at lunch and buy a couple of Mac magazines as you suggest. I think I'm looking at a G4 with =>512Mb then.

One final question - are there any good Mac forums about - something like MINI2 is for the new Mini. Google isn't pointing to anything useful, but if you know of any good ones, I'd appreciate the tip.

Thanks
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
iMac - Baskerville
Lee

I'm afraid I haven't really spent a lot of time on the forums, though there are plenty. The MacFormat one--which is the one I've used most--is good, though.

What I would strongly recommend is getting hold of the book "Mac OSX: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue (published by O'Reilly I think). It comes in separate editions for Panther and Tiger and is really well written and good fun as well as informative.

Incidentally on the subject of RAM, Apple upped the standard amount of RAM in new Macs to 512mb at about the time Tiger came out in May or thereabouts, which I think is telling. Before then it was 256mb, which was, by common consent, not enough.

B'ville
MS Automatic Updates? - drbe
I thought I had Automatic Updates configured on my PC, but it seems to turn itself off.

If I Google Microsoft Updates I get the error message:-

"The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:"

www.http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/d...s

If I follow the instructions, it's all ok down to number 6 - there is no Background Intelligent Transfer Service - (that I can see)

The service is enabled, but then disables itself. I used to get automatic updates on the second Tuesday in the month - if memory serves me correct.

Any advice or help would be appreciated - simple language please!

Don drbe
MS Automatic Updates? - Stuartli
I used to get automatic updates on the second Tuesday in the month - if memory serves me correct.>>

Some people have had problems with Windows Update.

If you still have problems you can download them manually each month from the Security Bulletin home page:

tinyurl.com/cv7dv

Download the ones that apply to your operating system, install each after the download and postpone each reboot until all are installed and then reboot.
MS Automatic Updates? - grn
May not be relevant, but MS have also started a re-authentication of licences before allowing updates to continue.

If you haven't seen this it may be the authentication bit still has to happen - and it will only allow further secturity updates once the licence etc has been checked.

Selecting "Windows Update" from the start button menu would be the way to manually invoke the security update/authentication.

Further to my other reply, it may be worth checking the system event log for any more info on why the service won't run....

START>programs>administrative tools>event viewer

Then clik on system in the left-hand pane and see what if any errors are flagged in the right-hand pane..double clicking on the right-hand entry will expand the detail - that may give more of a clue.

FWIW my BITservice is set to manual.

Let us know how you get on.

Rgds,
Graham.
Just a small point. Have you checked that Automatic Updates is not disabled in Services or Windows Firewall (if you use it)?
Just a small point. Have you checked that Automatic Updates is
not disabled in Services or Windows Firewall (if you use it)?

Sorry - how do I do that?
MS Automatic Updates? - Dynamic Dave
Sorry - how do I do that?

Open Control Panel (by clicking on Start - Control Panel) and then double click on Security Centre. From there it should be self explanitory.
>Start - Control Panel>>

It is actually Start>Settings>Control Panel in case you can't find it...:-)
>Start - Control Panel>>
It is actually Start>Settings>Control Panel in case you can't find it...:-)

Not on my machine it isn't. It's as I suggested earlier. There is no settings menu on my version of WinXP. In fact I think the settings menu was only to be found on earlier Win98 / 95 / ME operating systems - and those operating versions didn't have a security centre anyway.
You are both right.

DD is obviously using the standard XP menu offering.

You can howvere have the classic windows view DD which gives the old style of menus that Stuart referred to.

Both are valid.

Rgds,
Graham
You are both right.

Ah ha. Thanks Graham.
>>>> You are both right.>>

I do have XP Pro set up in the Classic style. Old habits die hard...:-)
MS Automatic Updates? - Altea Ego
Luddite! ;o)
Thanks for all the advice. The one that seemed to work in the end (you do understand that I don't know much about these computer things, don't you?)was the secrity thing in control panel - I clicked on that, clicked on apply, clicked on ok and bingo! away we went with the downloads.

Why it wouldn't work before, I don't know.

Thanks
Don drbe
You've stumbled across SP2's Security Center from the sound of it (also found from Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Security Center), where you can Enable or Disable AutomaticUpdates, XP's Firewall and Internet Explorer security.
>>You've stumbled across SP2's Security Center from the sound of it>>

Sorry, forgotten I'd mentioned Security Center a bit earlier in the thread...:-(
Personalised Screensaver - drbe
How do I construct a screensaver using my own photos? The images are already on my PC.

If you can help I would be grateful, please use simple step-by-step instructions please.

Many thanks. Don
Personalised Screensaver - Stuartli
Easiest way is probably to use a screensaver creator. Some examples:

www.rjhsoftware.com/saverwiz/

www.mrfreefree.com/free_software/create_your_own_s...l

www.tucows.com/downloads/Windows/DesktopEnhancemen.../

www.passtheshareware.com/ss_util.htm

Personalised Screensaver - Citroënian {P}
XP comes with its own "My photos screensaver"

Right click desktop, properties, screen saver, etc

--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Personalised Screensaver - Altea Ego
Make sure you are aware of the contents of the "my pictures" folder! ;)
Personalised Screensaver - Adam {P}
Listen to the man. It puts every picture on the screen full size.

And I mean every picture.
Personalised Screensaver - grn
Erm I sure you know this really but the picture size and frequency of change are able to be customised - if only real life was so easy ;-)

Personalised Screensaver - Stuartli
>>Erm I sure you know this really>>

You are quite right, but I've had the Windows 3D Screen Saver installed for so long I've never noticed this particular feature...:-)
Thanks for that.

I now have all sorts of photos unfolding at me! How do I remove the ones I think are inappropriate.......................

Please?
Personalised Screensaver - AlastairW
Move the inapproprite photos to a separate folder - or if they are REALLY inappropriate, delete them !-)
Personalised Screensaver - Altea Ego
Listen - I am not one to say I told you so, but........
Look, when I said inappropriate I didn't mean THAT sort of inappropriate ;-)

You just don't know the sheltered life I lead.
Start-up event error ipnathlp - maz64
Using the Event Viewer mentioned in a previous post (thanks!), I can see I always get 3 identical errors at start-up from ipnathlp (and that might be why start-up seems to take longer than it used to). Double-clicking on these tells me that the message is:

"The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code."

My PC is stand-alone running XP Pro with ADSL, although recently I temporarily installed a LAN card to help setup another PC I was building. I suspect the error is due to something leftover from the LAN setup.

MS help suggests running ipconfig /all "to verify that the list of name-resolution servers is correct", but I don't know what I'm looking for:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : matthews1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter AccessRunner DSL:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.93.95.140
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.93.95.140
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
John
Start-up event error ipnathlp - Stuartli
To save having to type out the basic configuration, follow this guide from Tiscali which will be similar to other ISPs:

www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/winxp.html
Start-up event error ipnathlp - Altea Ego
Did you remove your old configuration? Start/control panel/network connections.

Start-up event error ipnathlp - maz64
Thanks Staurtli and RF - I looked at the Tiscali info, didn't sopt anything, but did see on one tab "if you're still having problems try the Network Setup Wizard". So I did - chose the "don't have a network yet" option, let it churn away for a bit, rebooted, and bingo - no errors in the event log (although it didn't seem any quicker).

Not sure what changed - I'll have another look at the settings and play spot the difference.

Thanks again.

John
Start-up event error ipnathlp - Stuartli
You might still have had the LAN options in OE's (?) Connection configuration still in place from your earlier need.

Start-up event error ipnathlp - smokie
NAT (in IPNATHLP) is Network Address Translation. This is what is used on a gateway type machine (or router etc) to enable multiple machines to use a single gateway. When a machine on the Local Area Network asks for info over the connection (eg a web page) the request goes to the gateway machine. The gateway issues the request through the connection, and keeps track of the requesting machine, so that when the reply comes back into the LAN it knows which machine to route the information to.

I would suspect that somehow you might have enabled Internet Connection Sharing on your computer (maybe deliberately when you were working with two machines on the network?) and running the wizard has de-installed that for you. ICS may slow down start up time.
Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Mapmaker
I am trying to have a bit of a clearout of my computer. It has the following applications: Adobe Acrobat 4.0; Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0; Adobe Reader 6.0; Adobe Photodeluxe Home Edition 3.0.

Is there any redundancy/duplication here?

TIA.
Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Stuartli
>>Is there any redundancy/duplication here?>>

Removing all but version 6 will/would release some disk space (there have been problems reported with Version 7).

However, although I do use Adobe 6 as and when necessary, for the majority of the time I use Foxit's free pdf reader which just involves downloading a tiny file (a contrast to the ever growing Adobe offering). See:

www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Number_Cruncher
However, although I do use Adobe 6 as and when necessary,
for the majority of the time I use Foxit's free pdf
reader which just involves downloading a tiny file (a contrast to
the ever growing Adobe offering). See:
www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Stuart,

Thanks for posting that link - I have been having trouble with Adobe's pdf reader for yonks. It converts all itallicised text into a cyrillic script for some reason, but the Foxit program works perfectly.

Guess which program I'm using henceforth!

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher
Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Altea Ego
Adobe photodelux is a photo editing/catlog utility

Adobe reader 3.0 and Adobe reader 6.0 can be reduced down to adobe reader 6.0 only

Adobe Acrobat 4.0 sounds interesting. Is this just reader or the full suite? If the full suite it allows creation of adobe files as well. It can coexist with 6.0 reader quite happily. If just the reader it can be dumped.
Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Mapmaker
thanks, RF... amazing what you can find on a boat anchor...

How do I find out? In the add/remove software utility they're as described. In the program menu I don't even have 6.0...

Under explorer, there's an application:

Adobe/Acrobat 4.0/Reader/AcroRd32 which is version 4.0.0.0 describes itself as 'application' and is 2.2MB large.

Similarly under Adobe/Acrobat 6.0/Reader/AcroRd32 which is version 6.0.0.878 and describes iteself as Acrobat Reader 6.0 and is 7.3MB large.

Adobe Acrobat, Reader etc. - Altea Ego
AH they are both acrobat rdr. So dump

Adobe/Acrobat 4.0/Reader/AcroRd32 which is version 4.0.0.0 describes itself as 'application' and is 2.2MB large.

You should be left with acrobat rdr 6.0 and adobe photowotsit