Uninsured motorists facing fines - smokie
of at least £60.

tinyurl.com/8thwo

As an aside and not really for further discussion, another BBC story caught my eye while looking for this one. It's about 19 women being rescued from a brothel. Det Inspector Mark Nevitt said ""We now need to... speak to them, debrief them...".

driving without insurance - smilingvulture
The Government has announced new measures to crack down on uninsured drivers.

The new proposals, tabled as amendments to the Road Safety Bill now going through Parliament, will make it an offence to own a car which is uninsured or which has not been registered as off the road.

Police will identify and prosecute uninsured motorists using a database of all registered vehicles in the UK.

Road Safety Minister Stephen Ladyman said: "The vast majority of motorists are rightly fed-up with the small hardcore of anti-social motorists who drive without insurance.

"These new measures will mean that there is no hiding place for uninsured drivers.

"We estimate that every law-abiding motorist pays £30 a year because of uninsured drivers.

"This new measure will be coupled with new police powers to electronically spot and ultimately to seize and destroy cars without insurance. We are determined to rid the roads of the menace of uninsured driving."

The new proposals are the latest move by the Government against uninsured drivers.

From July the police took on new powers to seize and destroy uninsured vehicles and from November the police will start using automatic number-plate recognition technology to identify and prosecute drivers without insurance.

On becoming law, the new offence would mean that any drivers who have no insurance and have not registered their vehicle as off the road can expect to be fined and ultimately to have their cars crushed

WHY HAS IT TAKEN GOVERMENTS SO LONG TOO ENFORCE THIS?????
Uninsured motorists facing fines - Chicken Madras
Hmm. Let's see. £400/60 = 6.67 times I could get caught without having insurance and still make a profit.

What about penalty points?

If this scheme is as successful as the DVLA "We know where you live" campaign, I can't see the scrotes who don't bother insuring their cars losing too much sleep.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - mjm
It depends upon how they enforce it. A vehicle must be taxed and insured to use it on public roads.
So I park my car on the drive, taxed and insured. I go on holiday for 3 weeks, don't bother to declare it SORN, it isn't worth it. Insurance runs out on the day I go. I don't need to insure it for 3 weeks, it's off road, insurance not needed. I have renewed the insurance to start when I next need the car.
If this is enforced through the paperwork, in theory they can crush my car? I have broken no law.

Being a law abiding citizen my name and address are correct on the DVLA website, an easy target.

Uninsured motorists facing fines - rjr
"I have broken no law."

But if this goes ahead you will have broken the law.

It will now be an offence to own a car without having valid insurance (or without declaring it off road and out of use).

In the scenario you describe above you would have to notify them that the car will be off road and out of use when the insurance expires - or before you leave.

I imagine that, like the automatic fines for road tax, nothing would happen for a month.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - smilingvulture
its pathetic

why should we pay expensive premiums

i thought being uninsured on the road was a crime--not a slap on the wrist
Uninsured motorists facing fines - rjr
its pathetic
why should we pay expensive premiums
i thought being uninsured on the road was a crime--not a
slap on the wrist

Using a car on the road without insurance is a crime. The problem is that the Police have to actually catch you in the car.

The new law will simply make it illegal to own a car without insurance.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - stonefish
Does anyone know how the scheme works for motor traders ? Having Traders insurance allows such a driver to legally drive a vehicle thats not necessarily insured in its own right. (And not all traders have trade plates by the way...these plates and traders insurance are mutually exclusive).
Uninsured motorists facing fines - David Horn
Neat. I can get caught about 15 times now before the fines equals the cost of my insurance.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - The Lawman
I doubt it. I think the new law is intended to complement, rather than replace the current law.

If Mr scrote gets caught driving without insurance, he should not think that all that will happen is a £60 fine. The magistrates will still be able to throw the book at him.

No, what this law is for is to make our lives much more inconvienient, put alot of paperwork our way, reverse the burden of proof so that it is in favour of the government, create another thousand or so public sector jobs and make car ownership an even more expensive/troublesome business.

All of these sorts of laws are a substitute for have the right number of police and letting them get on with police work.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - mjm
Quite agree, Mr Lawman.

Now wait for the tax on insurance policies to rise ----

In my example above, in effect the annual cost of premium has risen by 6%.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - The Lawman
Of course, in your example you would have insured it anyway, otherwise you would spend the whole holiday being worried that your car might have been nicked!
Uninsured motorists facing fines - L'escargot
Anyone who owns a car and drives without insurance must see it purely as a means of saving money. They surely can't consider the effect that it might have on anyone that they run into. Unless they are completely callous of course.
--
L\'escargot.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - L'escargot
Correction

...... that they MIGHT run into.
--
L\'escargot.
Uninsured motorists facing fines - John R @ Work {P}
Neat. I can get caught about 15 times now before the
fines equals the cost of my insurance.

David,

"Uninsured drivers are to face automatic fines of at least £60 in an attempt to reduce rising levels of illegal driving in the UK."

of AT LEAST £60...

could be a lot more (maybe). It does not seem to mention an upper limit.

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
Uninsured motorists facing fines - madf
Given the fact that the current compterised MOT system is 3 years late, overbudget and still not fully implemented..

I'll not hold my breath.

And you can be sure it will be administered with astonishing beauraucratic stooooopidity.. see family tax credits/child support agency etc.

Never mind, it'll stop terrorists driving without insurance...:-(

madf