Rover 414 99Reg - Howe
Hello there,

I just bought this used car and it got a recorded mileage of 33670, and when i brough the car for a health check, the technician said it is due for cam belt change due to age (car first registered in jan 1999) and quote me £179 + vat. Is this the resonable price? I paid for my brakes pads change for £79 now i am skin. my questions are:

1) do i really need to change the cam belt? when is it due for a change?

2) is there any cheaper but reliable garage doing it at doncaster?

3) the car seems like struggling to start in the morning, what can i do about them?

4) will the parts for rover be a problem in near future?

5) does a used car dealer has a special MOT? the last car i bought should had failed MOT but it passed, when i brought that car to have a health check: oil leaks, 2 tyres in warning condition, one of the signal light had failed ++

thanks
Rover 414 99Reg - Civic8
Should have been changed a while ago,and yes,cambelt change on these I think 60k or five years whichever comes first.

meaning,if not done the mileage,it is changed on age.so yes price and age limit correct.if you fail to replace it will cost a lot more to fix if left
--
Steve
Rover 414 99Reg - MW
Get it changed PLUS any pulleys. That way you will probably see out the car. If not, It may snap in the next 37 minutes of driving. You don't know. Then the car is worth zero. You are driving around on cheap wheels, and that is an admirable state of affairs, but the key to this sort of motoring is to over-service the car.
I would also advise changing ALL the fluids and filters, espcially the antifreeze to avoid head gasket trouble. Change the brake fluid as well.
You have to see this £150+ of fluid changes as a 2 year investment. You could do it yourself for £50 if you are mechanically minded. £179 for a belt change IF it includes pulleys seems not bad.