Car rental - the GOOD side - Dipstick
Just got back from Italy and had a remarkably good renting experience, against everything I was expecting in the circumstances.

Bought a cheap last minute fly drive and accomodation package, so was expecting the "fully inclusive" car hire to be the minimum insurance. Also wanted to add a second driver. So before I went I found all the prices to upgrade the insurance and add another driver, so as to be prepared for the hard sell when picking the car up. Worked out it was likely to be about 150 to 200 Euros.

No hard sell. Second driver added free! Also turned out "fully inclusive" really was - NO excess on insurance, already at top level of cover.

Then the worst happened. During the week, a dog ran in front of us. We slowed right down - and the driver behind hit us. Our Italian is strictly what's in the phrase book, his English is non existent. We try to communicate. The front of his Renault is badly damaged, headlights smashed etc. Back of our car (Renault Modus, fantastic little thing) has a small hole in the rear bumper and bumper has slipped down a half inch if you look carefully, that's all. After a lot of non understanding, he shrugs his shoulders and drives off with a wave and a cheery toot. Amazing!

Of course, we get back to the car hire place on the last day anticipating the third degree - so many tales on here of people putting a tiny scratch on and getting charged the earth. We explain. The guy looks, shrugs, says he can't see any damage - we point it out and he shrugs again, says the other bloke's damage is "his problem", doesn't bother with the other guy's reg or name that we wrote down, signs the form to say the car was returned in good condition, gives us a copy and off we go.

Good old Avis. Still reeling!
Car rental - the GOOD side - pmh
But they still have your credit card details. Hang onto the evidence for a couple of months yet!

--

pmh (was peter)

Car rental - the GOOD side - P 2501
Thats the italians for you though - some of the maddest drivers on the planet.

Every single car out there has some sort of damage on it.They think nothing of it.

Car rental - the GOOD side - Dipstick
You're right about the damage. I checked 50 cars (yes really) as we were walking past a traffic jam in Cagliari and 38 had a scrape or other damage of some sort - and that was just on the side I could see.

Very few "smart" cars at all (as in nice new shiny ones). No Lexus spotted all week. Probably not even a dealer over there! Handful of BMWs, more Mercs (but decidedly older ones), LOADS of Renaults, few Lancias.

But this was Sardinia - almost certainly a different story on the mainland. Ferraris to do the shopping in there I expect.
Car rental - the GOOD side - AngryJonny
Ultimately if a guy runs into the back of you it's his fault. Though I have to admit I've not read the Italian highway code. It could say "don't stop for dogs" for all I know.

I'd not want to try and argue this point with most car hire companies though, even in the UK. I always went for the Loss Damage Waiver when I rented in the US. It's a rip off but it was peace of mind.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.