Audi 80 tdi - fad
Hi all,
The car is Audi 80 tdi 1992.
The problem started about a year ago. The engine stops (cut off) while I am driving at a slow speed (below 30 mph) and when I try to start it again the glow plugs light comes on but dim. It will take about 30 seconds for the glow plugs light to go off and then it will start (it will not start while the glow plugs light is on). This problem has been happening once every 3 to 4 weeks. Then the intervals of the engine cut off was happening every week and the time taken to start it about 2 minutes. Since last month the problem got worse and the engine stops every day and it takes few hours to get it started again and some times it takes a day.
I have replaced the relay but the problem still there. If I remove the relay the glow plugs light (dim) still on and in the normal circumstances it should go off.
Any idea why this is happening?
Thanks
Audi 80 tdi - nortones2
80 TDI, 90hp. We ran one for 50,000m. Did you doubt their existence?
Audi 80 tdi - fad
nortones2,
Oh yes, they still exist and they are still going strong.
Audi 80 tdi - nortones2
fad: our former car, L589VEY is still taxed and apparently on the road (according to the RAC data base) so given we sold it in Feb '99, with 79714 miles, it could be pretty leggy now! To the point: try the TDI Faq at Freds tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/ There's a good list of possibles under the troubleshooting sections.
Audi 80 tdi - Xileno {P}
Very early ones were on 'K' plates.
Audi 80 tdi - fad
I have got an Auto Electrician to test the car and he found out that the problem is with the fuse box. He suggested two solutions: the first is to replace the fuse box and this is expensive. The second solution is a quick fix by bypassing the fuse box. I have decided to bypass the fuse box because it is very cheap to fix it and the car started as normal.
Does any body know what is the side effect of the bypass and will it caused any problems in the future?
Thanks
Audi 80 tdi - Xileno {P}
Provided he has maintained an equivalent fuse in the circuitry, I can't see any problems.
Audi 80 tdi - fad
Yes, he did put a fuse in the circuitry.