Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - Craggyislander
Hi Guys

I have a 2003 1.8 Petrol Vectra and to be honest the engine on idle (albeit in close surrounds like a block of garages) is really starting to sound like a slightly quieter version of an old pushrod engine from the Mk1 Fiesta! (Very distinct sound)...

Anyway , its done 31k miles,oil last changed at 21k by Vauxhall using 10w40. Next service is due in December coming up.

I can't believe that it sounds so ropey - its a modern multivalve petrol engine for crying out loud.

Oil is on the max level (and checked it according to manf.specs i.e get it to temp then turn off and wait 5 mins then dip/check).It doesn't use any oil that I can see.

Performance etc is unchanged from when I got the car in July 04.

Any advice/comments gratefully received!

Thanks
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - Number_Cruncher
It may be worth checking with a stethoscope that the noise you are hearing isn't the injectors working normally.

Number_Cruncher
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - Dynamic Dave
Are you sure the noise is coming from the tappets? Is it worse when you first start up?

I don't want to unecessarily worry you, but maybe it's something else - the cambelt tensioner or waterpump for instance?
Hi Dave

Funnily enough the engine is quieter on startup with no unusual sounds.Took it for a 5 mile run into work this morning and at temp in the carpark it was fairly quiet on idle.
The noises only start if its been running for about an hour plus...
Hi Guys

This is still ongoing - the car was in at the Vauxhall dealers yesterday. They have replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and the alternator drive belt.
The car is still making the noise (only when hot and on idle),and I think its coming from the area of the air filter/alternator.
The nearest comparison I can get to is that it sounds like an exhaust blow but as far as I know the system is sound (car is just 2 with 33k on it now.)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions - it's going back to the dealers again next Weds.

Thanks
EGR valve? It's not been unknown for them to make a noise when cold; maybe yours is making a noise all the time?
Thanks Dave - I'll suggest it to them on Weds.
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - wonderwheels
Hi.Not sure if this will be relevant to your problem.I have a 2004 Vectr C 2.2 Sri.I am not sure about whether the engines are similar,but I had a "similar" noise to this around 3 months ago.I only noticed this as I was parked beside a car and a wall.My enignie sounded like a Diesel.Took it into Vauxhall immediately and they phoned me in the afternoon to tell me that my car was off the road for at few days.The Timing chain tensioner had came loose.That was replaced under Warranty,but "God only knows" what would have happened if I had kept driving it.2 weeks ago I had the piston rings upgraded/replaced under Warranty.A "recall" of sorts.Car had been using oil quicker than expected.
The 2.2 is a derived all aluminium engine from the VX220. Totally different to the 1.8.

Also, the 1.8 engine is cambelt driven.
Got the car back from the Vauxhall dealers today (it's been off the road for 3 days).
They have replaced the cam covers which has reduced the noise on idle by about 80% - the sound is still there but its not as loud.

Thinking back since I've had this car (got it July '04) its had quite a lot of niggles:

1.Radiator mounts faulty.

2.N/S/R Shock faulty (it leaked everywhere)

3.N/S/F Fog lamp unit faulty (replaced for the second time this week)

4.Suspension still creaks when going over speed bumps when cold.

5.Engine noise on idle (they replaced manifold gasket,alternator drive belt as well as the cam covers)

Have to say I never had anywhere near this amount of trouble with the mondeo (97 1.8)
To be fair to the dealers though they have done their best and not charged for any of this.

Not so sure that my next car will be another Vauxhall though....
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - wonderwheels
I've had my share of problems to with my 2.2 SRi,but nowhere near the same as my previous car,a 2001 VW Passat 1.9TDi.It was a great car to drive but in my 3 years of ownership,in the Dealership once a month on average.I wouldn't buy a VW again,ever.
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - ju1971uk
Hi there,
I know its been a long time since the above posting but I was wondering if changing the cam covers did do the job - or did the noise reappear and further alterations/work carried out.
I seem to have the same problem as what you descrived
Any feedback will be great
John
Hello - I never did get to the bottom of the problem - the cam covers didnt fix it and I traded the car in shortly afterwards.

Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - oldpostie
Haven't noticed anything noisy about my similar Vectra, but it did remind me of something. On my daily wanderings, a few years ago, a man told me that his Sierra suddenly started making loud engine noises. Answering my enquiry as to what he did about it, he informed me that he turned up the volume on the stereo so he couldn't hear the engine noises. Rather inconveniently, the engine stopped completely. Maybe it would have been better to have stopped.
Vectra C noisy tappets on idle - injection doc
Oil pumps are known to crack causing loss of oil pressure or insufficent oil pressure at idle when hot! seen a few break on 1800 engines. It may be worth changing the oil & try Mobil 1 if its quieter it will be an oil issue.
I suspect oil pump if it goes quieter if you take the revs up to 2000rpm for a few minuets & it goes quieter & then noisy after a min or so at idle.