Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - RFZ
Does any body have any thoughts on why MPG on my Multispace HDi should vary from 30 to 45 over a few months, not as a steady decrease but haphazardly? OK its a 2450 mile second car, 6 months old but is that it? Would good hard everyday driving sort it? Or is this a common HDi problem?
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - Happy Blue!
You are still running the car in and the engine will be tight until at least 8,000 miles and possibly up to 15,000 miles.

Variation will also depend on nature of driving and for a car of that mileage and age, stop start driving will really hammer the MPG whereas a motorway run will be OK.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - oldtoffee
I genuinely think our Picasso HDi is running better at 40,000 miles than ever before. I noticed a difference when we reached 20,000 miles so, for whatever reason, I think it took that long to properly run in. 45mpg is about average but 30 IMO is poor unless it is all in traffic. At 5,000 miles per year I guess you are doing a fair bit of short journeys. If by "hard everyday driving" you mean some extra revs through the gears then that wouldn't do any harm provided you don't thrash it as the engine is still far from run in. Maybe you could consider swapping cars for a while to see if the different driver/journeys combo makes a difference. You could also try a different brand of diesel next time you fill up (a once a month event for you - wish it was for me!)
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A very low mileage so I guess a lot of short journeys. My Passat Diesel only does low 30s if I stop/start in town but up to a constant 43 or so for the past 4 years on my regular 24 mile commute.
If my fuel mileage was fluctuating wildly for the longer journey then I'd worry.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - PhilW
Very odd - I've had my Berlingo HDi since it had done 600 miles and it has now done 27k. I've kept fuel records and it has only varied from 39 mpg to 45 mpg. It seems now to have settled to about 42mpg overall - varied driving from a 5 mile commute along country roads to long trips in France. I reckon I could get more from it except:- on motorways I tend to keep to about 80mph and the brick like aerodynamics don't help at that speed, on long trips in France it is loaded up with passengers, luggage and about half a ton of wine and beer, on my daily commute it hardly has time to warm up. One day I will do a long journey at 60 mph and I might crack 50 mpg!
By the way - it's not as economical as my wife's Xantia HDi 110 Exclusive - it regularly does 50 mpg on the motorway - Aerodynamics??
Are you sure you filled right up when it recorded 30 mpg? If the fuel was a bit frothy the "click" might have occurred early and next time you filled up it would require more and give a false mpg??
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - tyro
Slighly off topic - but I was just thinking about the Berlingo's 'brick like aerodynamics' and fuel consumption.

I have a petrol (1.6) Berlingo - and the mileage I have gotten has generally been in line with the official combined figure. (My driving is largely rural) That said, it has been going down. Up until the 30,000 mile mark, I got roughly 40 mpg on average. Now, at 50,000 miles, I'm getting about 37.5 mpg.
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - Bromptonaut
On a 1.8D we also get a wide variation, 32-40mpg.

Pegging it to 3000rpm/100kph made a huge difference compared to cruising at 130kph (French holiday). But 40mpg is much more difficult to hit than in the Hdi 110 Xantia.

I have a nagging doubt whether all brim fills are equal; there may be a void in the tank only useable when filling with nearside low.

Loads like a tardis and huge fun to drive.

Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - PhilW
Brompt,
Isn't it a 1.9D? - the XUD engined one. Thought Cits only did 1.7 and 1.9 in the non HDi diesels?? May well be wrong of course!!
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - Bromptonaut
The current non HDI diesel; motor is XUD based but with some electronics in the injection system. It's neither 1905 nor 1769 but something in between.
Berlingo Multispace HDi MPG Variations - Baskerville
I have the Peugeot version of this and it was disappointing from an economy point of view in the first 10,000 miles. Not petrol engine bad, but worse than I expected. Two years and twenty-odd thousand miles later it's delivering between 47 and 52 mpg on a normal run of A-roads and motorway. It does seem very susceptible to traffic and short trips though. That sort of thing can knock it back to 40-ish.

Incidentally I've used it this summer to tow a small (very, very small) caravan (an Eriba Puck), which is the same width and about the same height as the car. Sticking to the 60 limit on motorways it still managed in the high 40s. So I reckon aerodynamics has a lot to answer for.